HCL Technologies Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 29, 2017

2.7

413 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

There were two rounds. The first was technical, where they asked OOPS question. The next round was HR interview, where they asked about relocation, salary expectations and some behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for HCL Technologies

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Bellevue, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

This was a strange one. To tell you the truth, it's not really an interview
    that they call you to. I was contacted by a recruiter who told me that I was going to
    interview for a Java software developer position, but actually it's a mass hiring event
    and when I got there I found out they were actually hiring for .NET developers.
    There were groups of about 30 people coming in throughout the day, and from what I
    heard there were only about 5 positions available.

They take you in to do a hand-written
    test, and if you don't score in the top 10% or something like that they won't even talk to you
    (you will not interview). The test everyone was taking when I was there
    was supposedly for .NET (yes I spent the whole week studying Java stuff because of what
    my recruiter told me), but there was not even one .NET question on the test. There was
    one page of SQL questions and one page of general aptitude crap that had little or nothing
    to do with software engineering.

I waited in their cafeteria with the group for 2 1/2 hours, then they called my name and told
    me (among many others) that I wouldn't be getting an offer. Also, literally every engineer
    I saw working there was Indian, and literally every other person I saw working there that was
    not an engineer was white; you can draw your own conclusions... The test papers where also
    chalked up with typos and improper grammar. From what I've seen I don't think I would want
    to work for this organization.

Interview Questions

• Write a SQL statement that gets [3 things] from _______ table and this information,
      sort it by date and group by such and such. What are joins? Explain the various joins
      and how they work. What statement would you use to clear all the data in a table?
      Question about having 3 containers of water and how to measure out 10 gallons from
      what you have. Story problems like "This person is selling oranges.
      She sold 1/2 an orange more than half of what she had, then sold 1/3 of an orange
      from what she had left. Also, she didn't cut any oranges. How many oranges did she
      have to start with?" Pretty ridiculous.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in August 2017.

Interview

Written Test:
    Arrive at site, check in with security and wait for the late candidates to arrive. You sit down with a written test already in front of you, one side for SQL questions and other for .NET (You choose which test you want to take). You could tell people were unprepared, taking pictures of the test and looking up answers on their phones as well. You're timed for the written test, then you stay around for about an hour while they grade it. They call names, you're either sent home for not doing well enough of they call you for your first technical interview.

1st Interview: One-on-One
    They ask you to write SQL queries and explain a little bit of your background. Interviewer was pretty friendly and actually helped me through some questions I could not answer. If you pass they send you to another room for the possible candidates to wait in.

2nd Interview: One-on-One
    Same as first, just different scenarios for which you will write SQL queries for. Also friendly interviewer but he was going through emails while interviewing which was kind of rude.

From another interviewer, I was told there is another interview after with HR but my recruiter didn't give me that information prior so i'm not sure if that is true.

After my two interviews I was told they would contact me within a week to let me know if I was chosen for the position. I didn't hear anything back so I contacted my recruiter for a follow up and didn't receive anything.

Rating interview experience negative for heavily lacking professionalism.

Interview Questions

• If you had two tables, how you would DELETE a similar field existing in both tables?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

If you have real-world professional web development experience and did not recently graduate with a bunch of programming knowledge from college that you will never use, I wouldn't bother with this interview process. Don't waste your Saturday. I ended up just walking out to go home and work on my current ASP.NET MVC project.

I was told there would be a .NET/C# exam by one of their recruiters. Instead, it was one of those pointless exams asking old college questions about contiguous integers, and pouring different amounts of liquid from various jars to reach the desired amount. I'm surprised that they didn't ask me why manhole covers are round. Apparently they think they are Google. As soon as I saw the test, I knew it was a joke. If you want to see how "creative" I am, look at the work I have produced professionally and ask me questions about those projects.

Red flags I ignored: 1. They wouldn't even work with my salary requirements. 2. Saturday interview. 3. Bad reviews from current/former employees.

If you recently graduated college and have no professional coding/engineering experience, this might be right for you to get your foot in the door, but I would be wary, the employee reviews are still bad.

Interview Questions

• I have three water jugs, one with 10 liters another with 5 and another with 6, how do i get 8 liters on the first one?   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

Applied through college campus recruitment.
    First round was a written test of aptitude MCQs.
    After qualifying the test,interview was conducted by HR.Interview was around my background and basic oops concepts

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

**WORST EXPERIENCE EVER**
    Two rounds of Interview.
    1st round: Some basic questions from Java/J2EE, Spring, Hibernate, RESTful over skype
    2nd round: Some behavioral questions over skype
    they confirmed me after few days and asked details for bgv verification. They told me you will get joining letter 1 or 2 days. I resigned from my company after confirmation. He kept telling me you will receive joining letter tomorrow or maximum in this week. He rarely picked my call and never replied to my email. After a month, he picked my call and told me we are not hiring. This could be the worst think ever can happen with me.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HCL Technologies.

Interview

College requirement process in 2010. First round was online aptitude test. Second round was technical and HR round. Second round started with tell me about yourself followed by questions in data structures,cryptography, c basic questions ,C++ questions (operator overloading..), java program.General questions like "Are you OK if you are placed (job location)anywhere in India".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redmond, WA

Application

I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Redmond, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

The worst and rudest interview process. They mislead you to think its an interview but really its a hiring event with 30 other people. They make you take a written test and then grade it for literally 2 hours while everyone waits. No communication about what takes so long or anything. Everyone was super mad.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

It's definitely one of the weirdest tech interview I had so far. First the interview is on a Saturday, I didn't think it's a big deal even though that's not normal for a tech company. I found out why after I arrived on site. There are about 70 to 80 people waiting in the lobby, seems like they pick the weekend so they have space for that many people. Here's the thing, they gave out PAPER TEST to groups around 20, and they grade them BY HAND. The waiting period is not pleasant. For a company that focusing on automation, you can see the irony here. The process is extremely inefficient, the pretty much did the phone screen and/or tech screen on paper, which can be done OVER THE PHONE or WEBEX, I mean, some technology that's not a paper test, that will save everyone lots time and travel cost. I guess the biggest problem is the recruiter, which failed to inform candidate about their process, I think it will be less disappointing if you know what to expect before driving over an hour to attend a phone screen.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at HCL Technologies (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

This was a mass interview event at a hotel's conference rooms, about 30 people, more trickled in as the day passed, but found out those weren't all there for the same position. Our group, the first, 9am, was there for this one position. Started off with everyone taking a quick multiple choice basic code/skills test, some got picked off. Then a quick writing/introduction test, more were eliminated. Easy so far. Shuffled into another room as we waited for a 2 on 1 personal interview. Mostly talking about background experience and some more basic skills questions, and more eliminated. They really tried to drill you and probe for weaknesses and they're not shy about it, berating even, one interviewer acted like he was about to flip the table!!! Now down to about 5 of us. Final round of a 4 on 1 interview with some personality and algorithm questions, then they decide there if you are in or not, done. 3pm. Oh, no lunch, just drinks, I had some hunger pains when I left.... Overall, I enjoyed that I got to meet some other cool interviewees, otherwise, the interviewers were looking for some people to whip into action.

Interview Questions

• basic java code and classes, searching and sorting algorithms, and anger/stress-induced psychological test, bad cop/good cop stuff.   Answer Question