HFF Real Estate Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 17, 2017

3.2

9 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HFF (Orlando, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through a direct hire placement agency. The recruiter conducted a phone screen and I was notified a day later that HR at HFF wanted to set up a phone interview with an Associate Director. The phone interview went really well. We spoke about my experience and why I wanted to get into the commercial real estate capital markets intermediary industry. He said the position would require long hours which I was fine with. I sent a thank you email after and got a response from the Associate Director that I should be hearing from two analyst the following week. I followed back up with him after I did not hear anything the previous week and was told that HFF decided to "go in another direction" for their analyst position. I really have no idea what changed so quickly after a week when I didn't get the opportunity to speak with the two analyst. After researching HFF on LinkedIn and seeing all the employees pop up, I am glad that I didn't get the chance to work there as I saw nothing but white male/female analysts which was strange since they stressed nothing but cultural fit. It does not seem like this company values diversity at all. It is 2017 and the company seems behind in that aspect.

I would look elsewhere at companies that are bigger and include more diversity in their workforce in this industry.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about the capital markets intermediary industry?   Answer Question

HFF Response

Apr 20, 2017

Thank you for your interest in our firm. HFF is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all individuals without regard to race, religion, sex, color, national original, age, or... More

Other Interview Reviews for HFF

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HFF (Portland, OR) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied through a connection and was asked to come into the office for an interview. It was in front of two analyst who needed to bring someone on the team to lessen their work load. It was basic personality and behavioral questions. Barely anything on specific analyst questions. I am waiting to hear back for the next steps! Feeling positive and excited

Interview Questions

• Describe three weaknesses
      Why HFF
      Why commercial real estate
      How are you with teams
      What is a typical work day look like for you   Answer Question

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HFF in September 2016.

Interview

The interview process was Informal. I was greeted by the office manager and she brought in analysts, directors, managing directors and the executive managing director as their schedule allowed. No technical questions where asked, it was mostly a personality test to see if I would be a right fit within the company. Everyone was extremely helpful and willing to answer any questions. Be prepared to meet with multiple analysts and producers. Read about the company, do your homework.

Interview Questions

• Why haven't you pursued capital markets opportunities with your current employer?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work in Capital Markets?   Answer Question
    • Are you okay taking a pay cut in terms of base salary?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at HFF (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

The in person interview was in between formal and informal. Senior Level Managers were coming and going as their schedules allowed for them to interact with the process. A constant stream of Analysts and Associates pairing up together to ask a host of fit questions lasted for 3 hours. There was nothing really technical in nature to the interview or process.

Interview Questions

• Q: generic background Q's?
      Q: what is the corporate culture like at your current co and what do you think would be similar different here?
      Q: how would you describe yourself and why. Risk taker of risk adverse?
      Q: long term, what are you looking to get out of this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HFF (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume via LinkedIn and was contacted by the Senior Real Estate Analyst after a week. Went to the office for a 2 1/2 hour interview consisting of about 8 members of the team. Everyone was extremely nice and clearly quite passionate about what they do. Haven't heard back yet.

Interview Questions

• Lot's of fit questions. HFF is built on organic growth so there is a a close examination of all candidates personalities. Questions consisted of inquires about adversity, weaknesses, career trajectory.

I am coming in as an experienced hire so a lot of the questions were regarding my former roles so be prepared to discuss your resume in detail. Also, be knowledgable about HFF and WHY HFF.   1 Answer

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at HFF in January 2015.

Interview

Met 5-6 different people, whole process took around three hours. If they have invited you in for an interview they believe you are smart enough to do the job - want to get to know your personality. Very little quantitative questioning, mostly asking about your prior experience and to see if you will fit with the culture.

Interview Questions

• All personality based. In some cases, might ask for a high-level walk through on how to underwrite a commercial property.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HFF (Miami, FL) in April 2012.

Interview

The interview process is extremely comprehensive, so be ready to meet with at least a dozen different people ranging from other analysts to the most senior people in the office. HFF is extremely focused on promoting a cohesive company culture, so in addition to possessing the right skill set, they will assess whether or not you are also a good fit for the office from a personality perspective.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HFF (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

I applied online and received a response from human resources for a screening interview. They then forwarded my resume to the local office for their screening. They called me in. I made a visit and met with the lower level real estate analyst and director. I had to do a take-home test and fill out an application. I came back for more interviews with the higher ups. I got an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is the amortizing loan constant for a 6% 30-year mortgage on a $50 million dollar loan?   2 Answers

Real Estate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HFF in April 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by an admin to schedule a date. She had to call back and reschedule due to a scheduling conflict with one of the people I was to interview with. So the interview was pushed back a week.
    There is no receptionist and looks like very little admin help. The bullpen is virtually empty. Most employees remaining are director level and above.
    During the interview it became apparent that my career goals and the position were not in alignment.