HM Treasury Interview Questions in London, England | Glassdoor

HM Treasury Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Jan 13, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Application process: online form -> online tests -> sift based on your long-form answers to the online form -> assessment centre -> offer/rejection + feedback.

The assessment centre consisted of a written assessment (1), competency-based interview (2), and presentation (3).

1) You are given an information pack containing information from a range of sources, and instructions from a senior civil servant detailing what they want to know. Based on that, you write up a 1,000 word report. No need to have any prior knowledge, here: emphasis is on good command of the material and concise structure.

2) Read the civil service competency framework and then deliver the goods with plenty of examples from your experience.

3) This is where you need to prepare. You'll be told in advance of the assessment centre what you're topic will be. On the day, the question will relate to that topic. You then deliver an oral briefing to two interviewers and then take questions.

It's a very friendly process throughout and really nothing to worry about. Do lots of preparation and don't seize up on the day. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you have [insert competency from the civil service competency framework]?   Answer Question
    • You are a junior policy advisor. You've written a report for a senior civil servant but one of your colleagues is unhappy because they believe that their view has been ignored. How would you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Insights Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

Did a written test first, that was similar in structure to the practice test supplied on the website, and then went in for the interview which focussed first on competencies, and then on economics questions. I found that they were very helpful, and were very keen to make applicants feel at ease; happy to answer questions, bring water, that sort of thing.

Policy Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied online and had to answer questions such as: why do you want to work here? Why as a policy adviser? And then a scenario-based question about what you would do to prepare to brief a Minister on a topic you didn't know much about. Then you take online tests and if you pass these, they will look at the answers you gave on the initial application. Assuming you pass this, you will be invited to an assessment centre. This is a half-day (from 08.45-13.00) at their recruitment office. This consists of a 1 hour, 15 minute written test, a 45-minute competency interview and a presentation. They will give you the competencies that they will be testing you on in each exercise beforehand. The written test was to be completed on a laptop and we had to produce a report for a Minister. We were given about 20 pages of information to help us get to grips with the topic. You have a 1000-word limit.
    Next was the interview. The questions were quite dry with the only surprise being 'what do you think the biggest challenge will be in the role?'. I'm unsure as to whether the two people interviewing me had much experience of it... It wasn't the best interview I've ever had as there was no flow between questions, it was quite stilted and awkward. Lastly, I had the presentation. We were given 30 minutes to prepare. We had been given the general topic to revise before the day and were only given a specific question at the start of the 30 minutes. This wasn't a disadvantage though as the question itself was quite general and if you revised the topic, you wouldn't have had any problems. They give you the option to use a flipchart but you don't need to. One thing that surprised me here was the fact that in the email they sent after booking the assessment centre, they said we would have access to a laptop in the prep time but we did not. So make sure to take your notes along with you. Then you have 8 minutes to present in front of two assessors. They ask you follow-up questions about the things you've said during the presentation. One of them kept challenging my opinions but I guess it depends which assessor you get. You have a clock in front of you as well so don't worry about how you're going to make sure you're keeping to time. At the end you're told you will find out in 2 weeks.
    I did not get an offer but they said they would inform me if any roles came up that were suitable for me. I am still awaiting feedback so will update here when that is received.

Interview Questions

• What do you think will be the biggest challenge in the job?
      Give us an example of a time when you have had to adapt your communication.
      An example of a time you showed leadership skills.
      Answer Question

Digital Content Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was straight forward, I first have to give a short presentation following a brief they sent me a week prior. I had to propose a couple of ideas outlining how I would go about promoting a new government scheme, what channels I would choose why and what I would pay special attention too. Afterwards they asked me a couple of question putting extra emphasis on the differences between a civil service position and the competitive businesses before asking me if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• The general questions: What are your strengths and weaknesses? Name an example of you showing great flexibility and thinking on your feet. How would you react to criticism, especially if you are 100% convinced you are in the right?   Answer Question
    • What do you think is the greatest challenge of civil service? Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • Reading our social media, what would you say is our communication strategy and underlying aim?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process comprises an interview with HR and a policy specialist, a presentation on a pre-defined topic and interview, and a written test. The interview with HR and a policy specialist involves demonstrating how you meet the competencies set out in the civil service competency framework. The presentation involves an 8-minute presentation on a topic provided a week before. You have 30 minutes to prepare for the presentation and are given a board to draw charts etc to support your presentation. This is followed with questions about your presentation and the topic in question. The written exercise involves writing a briefing with information and statistics provided. You need to identify what evidence is needed (you don't need to use all the information in the briefing) and should demonstrate an ability to use statistical data.

Interview Questions

• Cite an example when you've had to manage multiple commitments and how you managed your time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied for the role and was initially rejected. Out of the blue a month or so later, I received an email saying that despite having initially rejected my application, they had decided that due to a number of strong applications they had made a few more interview slots and I was invited to attend an assessment centre in a weeks time (very last minute notice!). The assessment centre consisted of a 1 hr 15 min written test, a 5 min presentation and 45 minute interview.

The general presentation topic was given in advance so you could do some background research, but the specific presentation question is given on the day. There's 45 mins to prepare for the presentation, during which time you are given a laptop to access the internet, a flip chart and pens. You then do the presentation in front of a panel of 3 senior Treasury people, who will cut you off at the 5 minute point. They ask a few questions about the presentation and issues surrounding the topic, then launch straight into the interview.

The interview is competency based and includes around 8 questions. The questions need you provide an answer that demonstrates your capability to fulfill a skill, and require a good example to show this. E.g. describe a time you had to build and maintain a relationship with key stakeholders, and how did you influence this relationship. You need a good example to show how you can do this. The questions are all quite difficult! Read through the compentency framework and think of examples you can use before going into the assessment centre.

For the written test we were given a laptop and brief. It consisted of writing a report for a fictional new Head of the Treasury, who wanted info on student loans and ways we might reduce the burden of them on the taxpayer. We were given about 9 different handouts (emails/news reports/articles etc.) all giving different ideas and opinions. The report required the info to be summarised according to the brief. It sounds easy enough but the handouts contained tons of info, with lots of facts and figures which was actually very difficult to produce any sort or report on in just 1hr 15 mins.

Some people did the written test first and then the presentation and interview, some did the presentation and interview first, followed by the written test.

Interview Questions

• I cant remember as they were all very difficult and it was quite a blur. All are competency based questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer they gave was very good and I didnt see the need for any negotiation.

Senior Adviser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

Was interesting - Thought the structure was good and they make sure it is thorough.

Placement Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HM Treasury (London, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

There was a fairly straghtforward Maths test prior to the interview that was roughly 15 minutes long. Then there was a 30 minute interview with two economists working at HM Treasury. The interview was equally split between competency based questions and also questions on micro and macroeconomic theory.