HMSA Interview Questions in Hawaiian Islands | Glassdoor

2.7

14 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in January 2017.

Interview

1.5 hour interview seemed too long. Many open ended questions. Not sure what notes the interviewing was taking but typed a lot during the interview. There is a timed test after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Was there a situation where you would have done something different?   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in December 2016.

Interview

The second time I applied, I went straight to the manager (no screening needed since I was, obviously I guess, qualified).

Very good interview. Lots of consent, laughter. From how the manager described the position, they were basically looking for me (I kid you not). Thought I had the job (when you know, you know). Did a 8-min. wonderlic test after.

Followed up a week later -no answer.
    Followed up two weeks after the interview -recruiter tells me she would fwd. my email -still no answer. Followed up after a month and said whenever they're ready they can contact me. Why the radio silence even?

After two months they said they extended the offer to somebody else but "it was a really really hard decision". I have little doubt that something fishy went on here, too.

The best part is: a couple of weeks later, the position popped back up as vacant on their website. Looks like whomever they made an offer, did not even want to work there to begin with. What a waste of resources.

AMS Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in June 2016.

Interview

CONTEMPT in their COMPLACENCY

They will waste your time, if you want it or not.

Long story short, if you are not deeply rooted in Hawaii, you probably don't need to bother. HMSA is all about "the old ways", which is a sad allegory of the islands' unwillingness for fair competition.

The first time I applied with them, I had a 2-hr interview with the recruiter, a 2-hr placement test (hypothetical business strategy scenario) and a 40 min. interview with the manager. I did very well but in the end it did not matter at all.

The manager did not seem interested in me or my abilities and instead read questions off of her sheet like a robot. I was asked to present my previously developed business strategy to her. Never pressed me nor did so much as follow-up on my presentation or answers. Some questions were inadequate and/or did not relate to the position in my opinion. She cut the interview short because she had to get lunch. The only question I got to ask was when the position needs to be filled. She said they have been looking for a long time.

Followed up two days later to be told they would have an answer by the end of next week. The day came and I was informed that they extended the offer to somebody else. "Luckily, the manager had a hand full of strong candidates." Orly? Sounded to me like they were running out of options. Then I realized that they did not take 2+ weeks to deliberate but to wait for "their" candidate to decide on the offer. Probably somebody from around the block who was decided on before I even got the interview.

tl;dr: jobs are given out on a who-do-you-know-basis.

Interview Questions

• Do you prefer communication via telephone or email?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

The worst I've ever had. The recruiter I spoke to was clearly reading off of a script during every phone conversation we had. She would also laugh at awkward moments, or moments she felt were awkward and didn't know what to say. So weird and unprofessional. I just wanted to talk to a human being.

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

My profile was referred to them by an ex-employee of HMSA. They did 2 rounds of interviews. One by another Senior Project manager and one by the Director. Most questions were straightforward project management questions.

Program Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in January 2016.

Interview

3 months from online application submission.
    Round 1 - Recruiter: A LOT of behavioral questions
    Round 2 - Department Team: Situational questions
    Round 3 - Department Managers: Situational questions
    Reference check
    Email notification of outcome

Everyone was extremely pleasant and welcoming, making the actual interview less stressful. The employment office is easy to locate and access.

IT Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI).

Interview

Terrible and unorganized.

Couldn't accurately describe their own infrastructure and answer any type of technical questions.
    Couldn't not describe their own technology plan or speak clearly about business partners goals.
    No technical questions of any kind.
    No process questions of any kind.

Interview Questions

• Have I ever been to Hawaii?
      Am I familiar with the Asian culture?
      How do I deal with hostile environments?   Answer Question

Membership Services Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in November 2015.

Interview

Three separate interviews, first with a HR rep, then with the HR manager, then with the dept manager. I made it past the second interview but did not get a third. They contacted me about a week after I applied online and scheduled the first interview. I heard back from them within the week after the first interview and scheduled a second one. I followed up with them two weeks after the second interview to check on the status. They are good about informing you via email or call to let you know if you got it or not.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you did at your previous job.
      Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult person/situation.
      Tell me about a time you solved a difficult problem.
      Why are you looking for a new job/why do you want to leave your current job?
      Why do you want to work for HMSA?
      How do you handle stress?
      Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
      Tell me about an accomplishment you are proud of.
      What is your dream job?
      What salary range are you looking at?
      Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in March 2013.

Interview

A very dragged on process of asking the same questions over and over again. Lots of behavioral questions to see if i can fit in with the team. Lot of analytical questions while applying real life scenarios.

Interview Questions

• How well do you work with a team? How do you handle multiple workloads?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at HMSA (Honolulu, HI) in February 2013.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews all basically the same, the final one with the newly hired manager of a new department in the organization. First round included VP of the division, second was the director. Was offered the position at the third interview. The process took about 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• I was interviewing for a PM position and they asked about specific projects.   Answer Question