HMSHost Bartender Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

2.0

8 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at HMSHost (Little Rock, AR) in July 2017.

Interview

Got a call after about a month, he screened me on the phone, told me about the restaurant and asked me about my life. He then invited me to an on-site interview. It was short and standard. He didn't read off of a sheet and wasn't monotone or boring. It was a real, engaging conversation. I felt like he cared about what I was saying, and didn't feel the need to lie. I was very comfortable. John gave the best interview I've ever participated in because he was to the point, and aimed to get to know me as a person. You know if you get a good vibe off someone within 5 minutes, and I hate the droning interviews most companies conduct.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
  • What constitutes great service to you?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for HMSHost

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HMSHost (San Antonio, TX).

Interview

Basic process. One face to face interview with standard situational questions. As long as you pass the background check they hire you. High turnover job due to weak management controls.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation with an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A

Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HMSHost (Milwaukee, WI) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone screen by HR generalist followed by in-person with HR generalist and store manager. Not too tough. Basic, common questions about bar service and work habits. They were concerned whether an experienced person would relate well to union-employees that had been at the airport for 20+ years. They asked about previous positions and what was good and bad about those jobs.

Interview Questions

• What would you do/say if a co-worker with more seniority told you how to do your job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HMSHost (Manchester, NH) in April 2014.

Interview

Easy.....nice conversation with Operations Mgr. Went thru some standard corporate questions. What is your best attribute ? Tell me a time when...... 20 minutes total. Was a very relaxed interview, mgr knew I had more than enuf experience for the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you fixed a guests problem?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HMSHost (Saint Louis, MO) in April 2013.

Interview

My initial interview was with two Senior Store Managers that convinced me to apply for Store Manager describing a good balance of work and life. Many promises were made, none kept.

Interview Questions

• Describe my kitchen management experience   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HMSHost (Spokane, WA).

Interview

Very thorough interview. I found the interview enjoyable, very pleasant and respectful, and a positive experience. The hiring process and computer training was relatively easy, however tedious because it was lengthy and sedentary.

Interview Questions

• I have worked for this company for several years, and since so many months have lapsed, I don't remember specifics about the questions asked and answered, nor about their difficulty.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. You are offered the position and if you are interested in working you take it.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HMSHost (Miami, FL) in July 2012.

Interview

After an online submission and short questionnaire I was hired on the spot and offered a permanent, full time position. I was interviewed by one person. After waiting for security clearance and drug test I was expected to start immediately. I then found out after training and after I had left my previous position (a four week process for clearance and training) for the extended job no longer existed because the flights were moved to another area and the assistant manager did not know why I was on her schedule. I was told by HR Manager that she was very sorry that I was now jobless but sometimes when they "hire for projected business and it falls though and sometimes that is how it is in an airport. They had no way of knowing the airlines would go to another gate" she did, however, inform me that I was applicable to apply for another position inside the company online and would be considered first for the interview with the unit managers since my position was eliminated.

Interview Questions

• Why did I want to work in the airport and how did I learn of the open position, simple questions.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Simple accept or reject, no negotiations.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HMSHost (Atlanta, GA) in April 2012.

Interview

After attending a job fair at the College Park Convention Center for airport jobs, I was contacted by a recruiter to interview. After interviewing with a manager one on one, I was offered a position in one of the new restaurants opening May 1st. I was instructed to take a drug test and be fingerprinted. However, that is where the process stops running smooth. I submitted to all of the tests approaching three weeks ago now and when I try to check the status, I am given the ole "don't call us, we'll call you" from virtually everyone in human resources. I understand they have a huge influx of new hires due to the number of people they needed to fill positions with. I just wish they would take the time to check the status of individuals who inquire. It's easy for them to say wait for the call because they are on someone's clock earning a paycheck. But for someone who has been out of work and diligently seeking it for the past three months, this hurts. Sill looking for my call to orientation to begin. Would love for it to be this week or early next... fingers crossed.

Interview Questions

• What are the greatest challenges presented as a bartender from a customer service perspective?   Answer Question