HRL Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 16, 2017

3.1

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at HRL (Malibu, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview where they went over my resume and asked in-depth questions about one bit of project experience that was data acquisition with MATLAB. Went in for the on-site and got a tour of the facility, as well as met a bunch of engineers in the group. It was very easy overall and the people there were incredibly nice.

Research Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HRL (Malibu, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied through an employee/contact referral. Was given the contact info and notified of the job posting and applied for the position online. Followed up after 2, 4 and 6 weeks with contact (HR was non responsive) and had an hour phone interview with the hiring manager. Talked to the hiring manager a few more times over the phone over the next 4 weeks and eventually scheduled an in-person interview on site.
    HRL paid for my stay at a nearby hotel. The interview started at 8:30 AM and ran to 6 PM. It consisted of a 12 one-on-one interviews with HR, potential group members, hiring managers in adjacent groups, the lab director, VP, and CEO of the company. I gave an hour technical seminar right before lunch. Everyone was very warm and friendly.
    Heard back about 5 weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience writing grants?
      Do you have any mentoring experience?
      Are you interested in branching out from your current area of expertise?
      Answer Question

Computing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at HRL (Malibu, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

It was about a month from the time I applied online to the time I was contacted to set up an interview over the phone. The initial interview over the phone was to vet me out and make sure I was a potential candidate. The manager and I got along right away so I was optimistic I would be called back. The formal interview was scheduled for the following week where I met the manager, two of my potential coworkers and another couple of engineers that I would interact with. Overall the questions were good and it was more to see if our personalities would work.
    I was made an offer shortly after.
    Everything was low-key and relaxed. Definitely one of the better interviewing experiences I had.

Interview Questions

• I was handed log files from some issues they had recently had and was asked to review them and see if I could spot the issue.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HRL (Malibu, CA).

Interview

Usually they call you within two weeks if they need a position filled. It will be all day and you will meet all members of the team. It's clear who you will be working with and their attitudes. HRL is all about how you work with people.

Interview Questions

• Besides the usual work questions, HR will ask you what you expect for a salary and what your current salary is. They are known to offer below average salaries. The benefits one should consider is the profit sharing given once a year and retirement/medical. Also it's in Malibu so it's nice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HRL (Malibu, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Interviewing process was 6-7 hours. Met much of the staff and supervisors, did a presentation of past work, at lunch with everyone. I had a great time interviewing and meeting all of the people and seeing the workspace.

Interview Questions

• One person asked me to tell him what his circuit diagram did!   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malibu, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HRL (Malibu, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I contacted a researcher through an email address provided by my college department counselor and obtained a phone interview. A month after this, I was invited to an onsite interview where I spoke to different members of the team.

Interview Questions

• With this circuit diagram, how would you determine what the problem was if there was something wrong with the device?   Answer Question

Vendor Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HRL.

Interview

applied through campus email directly with the supervisor, got an interview the next week, waited for 3 months or so for the on site interview. The on site interview has 9 30 minutes interviews, in which you will be interviewed by your supervisors and department heads, as well as talk to your would-be teammates. I also gave 1.5 hours of presentation for 3 people. The presentation was informal, and questions were asked throughout.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions like: where do you see yourself in 5 years? Are you going back to graduate school? How did you hear about us? Technical questions were many, especially during the presentation. I did my presentation on the subject that is familiar to everyone...so i get quite a few hard questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Malibu, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HRL (Malibu, CA).

Interview

First was a phone interview with my would-be supervisor and my would-be project manager. It went well so I was scheduled an onsite interview.

It was a day-long interview with 12+ people changing location every 30 minutes. That means you have to make a good first impression 12+ times. If you make it to the onsite interview they already think you're qualified; its more of a chance to make sure you get along with the team. Even lunch felt like an interview as I sat at a table with 20 people (overlooking the Pacific Ocean) and tried to answer questions with a full mouth.

Interview Questions

• Nothing too unusual. No brain teasers or trick questions. Just questions about my resume, experience, and interests. The standard "What is your 5 year plan?" came up, but I had prepared an answer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was offered my asking salary, so didn't feel comfortable negotiating.

Engineer - Vendor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HRL.

Interview

After a little back-and-forth via email, I arranged for a phone interview with the section and technical leads of the module that put up the job req. After the phone interview, quickly arranged for an on-site interview for the following week. The on-site interview involved the HR consultant, a panel of the other engineers in the module, a tour of the facilities, and the lab director. Interview was very relaxed and balanced between technical and behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions were straightforward and were not incredibly difficult. 2 examples:
      1. In a spin-coating process, is the material thickest at the center or at the edges?
      2. How do you deal with upper management's unrealistic expectations?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not get to negotiate.

Research Staff Member Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HRL.

Interview

Had a half-hour phone interview where I was asked some technical questions about my resume and was told about the position. Three weeks later I had an onsite interview consisting of nine thirty minute one-on-one interviews and an hour long presentation. interviews were technical with most questions geared toward my own research, with a few behavioral questions. I was asked a lot of good questions during the presentation and was very impressed in general with the caliber of questions and the level of hospitality throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Asked to describe in detail an original research proposal including broad goal, applications, and specific steps required to bring the proposal to fruition. Was asked many specific questions about my research, and a few behavioral questions such as "describe the most difficult problem in graduate school and how you overcame it. Be specific."   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation, very generous offer.