HSBC Holdings Finance Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HSBC Holdings Finance Interview Questions

2.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Tampa, FL).

Interview

HR Recruiter in Buffalo scheduled a window to call me for phone screen which I confirmed. Waited for the full 2 hour window next day, no call. I sent an email asking to reschedule. Several hours later I received a call back with a new time for the next day. The next day came and no call from recruiter, so I called both her office and cel numbers, left messages. Several hours went by and I finally received a call back. Did a brief (but now unscheduled) phone screen, and set up an in person interview for the following week. The interview went great, it seemed that the hiring manager did not want it to end and after 50 minutes they began telling me about vacation, benefits, working from home, perks...super good sign right? I was confident, qualified and now a good match with manager's personality. The next day the same recruiter called me and asked me how it went. After letting me gush about how great I thought it went, how I really clicked with the hiring manager and was really excited about taking the next step, the recruiter proceeded to tell me the manager was going to continue interviews as I did not have the specific experience they wanted. HUH? I was totally shocked! I asked her to please reach back out to the hiring manager for more specific feedback as the reason she just provided didn't make any sense based on the interview I had. However, I was ready to accept/move on - I understand that's just how the game goes sometimes. But then recruiter then told me she would like me to interview for another position along the same lines but at a level lower. Ok, I was willing to take a cut for a foot in the door at HSBC, so we discussed the salary and agreed on a range. I then had two more in person interviews on separate days, the last with a Sr. Manager. After a grueling 45 minute psychological examination, the Sr. Mngr asked me what salary I was expecting. I told them the figure already agreed upon with the recruiter. The Mngr then told me the "correct" range which ended up being so far out of the ballpark I was speechless! No negotiation could take place as we were that far apart. And it's really hard to negotiate salary during an interview when you haven't been offered the position! The Mngr was understandably aggravated with the recruiter and the interview ended abruptly. Two days later I received the generic rejection email without a word of apology, explanation OR follow-up from the recruiter. One of the worst experiences I've had with any potential employer. I was extremely excited about working for HSBC but if this is how they treat people there, looks like I dodged a bullet.

Interview Questions

• Salaray range issue should never have happened. Poor recruiting work.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for HSBC Holdings

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

Went through resume,
    Asked questions pertaining to resume
    Why HSBC?
    Why the job function?
    Future career aspirations

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in February 2010.

Interview

rigorous - make sure you know the business and be able to discuss the direction of the company

Interview Questions

• What kinds of mergers and acquisitions have you seen HSBC perform?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beirut (Lebanon)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Beirut (Lebanon)) in June 2015.

Interview

Very straightforward interview with the CFO. Went through my CV and asked questions about my past internships and experiences. Also tested my finance knowledge with basic finance questions. Interviewer was very nice overall. I got a call one week later saying I got the internship.

Finances Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tbilisi (Georgia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Tbilisi (Georgia)).

Interview

I came about 5 minutes early. the interview process was very straightforward and I like the person interviewing me. The questions were mostly about my experience, education and interests. Majority of questions were about how I deal with problems and communication at work, how I deal with the people I dislike at work etc. I asked a few questions in the end. Overall I had a positive experience and had an offer on the spot, but rejected it.

Interview Questions

• I had to take some sort of test, but I'm not sure what exactly if I agreed to proceed with their hiring process.   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (London, England (UK)) in February 2014.

Interview

Online application, got invited to complete online tests, then telephone interview. Then got invited for the final assessment centre: 1.numerical test (paper version, 20 mins 20 questions) 2.case study presentation 3.competency interview 4.business interview 4.interview with a senior who goes throug your CV with you - very scrutinizing.

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chengdu, Sichuan (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Chengdu, Sichuan (China)) in April 2013.

Interview

First HR contacted me and asked me about my background and working schedule, and set up an appointment for me with the line manager. At the interview, the line manager asked me to go over my resume and discuss about the former working experience I had. After two days, I get the email informed me I was in.

Finance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in May 2011.

Interview

Phone interview with hiring manager. Technical interview - immediately very condescending. Discounted cash flow questions, not really difficult but the attitude really turned me off.

Interview Questions

• How would you factor bad credits in a discounted cah flow analysis.   2 Answers

Finance Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in December 2010.

Interview

Interview was done by meeting at hotel for 1:1. More about background, personality, fit question.

Finance Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in December 2010.

Interview

The interviewer asked eight to ten questions, which were related mostly to personally experiences. The interview last for about half an hour. No self-introduction was needed.