HSBC Holdings Relationship Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HSBC Holdings Relationship Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 6, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Behavioral, role play. Really dived deep into previous role and goals/expectations there and how you expect to meet goals at this job. Pretty open ended, explained a lot about my current role, my education and what I am looking for in a manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing that you are passionate about that I wouldn't know   1 Answer

Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview

Had 3 rounds of interview, first with recruiters and then hiring managers onsite and final round with senior managers onsite again. Overall the interviews were not very tough and asked some basic questions. The impression of the company is its great culture. From recruiters to management, people are all friendy and easy to get along with, at least this was what I felt when walking into the office for interviews.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online and had 3-4 interviews before getting an offer; met with local manager, senior management, and branch staff. Senior management promises the world and then you start and realize that they said things that were 180 degrees different than the reality. Get any and every expectation in writing! An email, something- about the location you'll work in, the hours, etc. Logically you would expect management to be somewhat accurate about your job, because why hire someone who will not be a fit or quit right away. But they need bodies in the jobs and retention of employees doesn't seem like a concern. Pay attention to little signs- I felt like there was some friction in the location I'm in at the interview but dismissed it, but there's been a lot of turnover and every employee in the office is looking at other jobs

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected; typical interview questions. The pay structure was unexpected- HSBC pays everyone now a "discretionary" bonus v a bonus based on production numbers (of course, it really is about x numbers of products sold...).   1 Answer
    • Not unexpected but was asked to do a role play with the manager as a new customer   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for a base pay that I was told needed an exception to approve (not really higher than industry average so I don't know if that was true), but no push back and I got what I'd asked for. Background check was a mess- everything is through a contact center in India so expect to be asked for documents over and over again (past W-2s etc). Urine drug test required as the last step. I regret not asking for more clarity about the work environment (some branches have the majority of their clients who's primary language isn't English, so you'll automatically lose an opportunity to work with those clients if you don't speak their language) . The stated goals in the interview process were very different than the actual goals I learned of once I started working

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (White Plains, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Slow process, Very sloppy questions, interviewer with absolutely no knowledge poor skills in how to interview. Really not happy how HSBC is screening people to hire, looks like they are not reading the resumes and instead of looking for talent they are looking for cheap labour.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

it took a month, first applied through referral, reaching out and had a phone interview for about 15 mins. Scheduled to have interview with your functional manager, wealth coach (investment) and the area manager. The process was longer than what I expect. And they required a lot of proof of your formal job W-2, recommendation letter, and stuff.

Interview Questions

• Why HSBC?
      How do you hear about us?
      Why you think we should hire you?
      How do you introduce HSBC to the client?
      How much time you spend on the phone?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, got the highest salary from the range

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Miami, FL) in October 2013.

Interview

interview is first with the recruiter over the phone then they make a recommendation to interview with the hiring manager, it was very conversational expectations on the job and how I could be useful. I was recommended by another employee so the process was easier because manager already had good references

Interview Questions

• why are you leaving your current job?   1 Answer

Assistant Vice President, Premier Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Washington, DC).

Interview

Initially applied online via HSBC's website and received a call from HR. Had a brief conversation with HR about the position and my background which eventually got me to a face to face interview. The face to face interview with the hiring manager was very relaxed and informal, in all honesty I left the interview feeling very impressed with the organization and their focus in this marketplace. The face to face interview consisted of discussions surrounding my prior experiences pertaining to the position. The hiring manager was relaxed, knowledgeable, and professional he was also down to earth which made the process less stressful.

Interview Questions

• None, we discussed my background and how it pertained to the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was made through HSBC website. Within a couple weeks I was emailed by a recruiter. This individual wasn't the brightest and gave me a VERY narrow window to interview. I nearly couldn't make it and they seemed like they would pass me over rather quickly.

The recruiter did give me a window of salary so I knew going in where I could negotiate. At the interview was my line manager, their manager, and the area manager. It was a lengthy interview uncovering a very detailed background about me and the role itself.

Be prepared to speak intelligently about your background and how it applies to the role in specific detail. Important to fight for your prowess as a good fit.

Interview Questions

• No one particular question, but a barrage of detailed questions regarding the roles specifics and even asking how I would handle a specific situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me at the low end of the spectrum, I countered slightly higher and they agreed.

Vice President, Senior Premier Relationship Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (San Francisco, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Research recruiter and schedule 1-1 informal meeting i.e. coffee and lunch.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiations available.

Relationship Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in March 2012.

Interview

the interview process is resume based. behavioral questions dominated the main part of the interview. the interview questions were overall easy and fun. there were 2 people interviewing. They were looking for candidates who can hold a genuine, intelligent conversation.