HSBC Holdings Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 25, 2017
1,881 Interview Reviews

2.9

Investment Councellor Analyst Interview

Interview

I got a call from a recruiter on a Friday afternoon, who then scheduled me for a phone interview on Monday. I spent the weekend doing research and once Monday came I never got a call. I called John from Michigan and he never returned my messages. About a month later I finally received an email saying the position was filled. Terrible experience and I will never again be applying with this joke of a bank.

Custody Tax Reporting Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was a complete waste of time. I applied via a recruiter and the process took roughly two days. Recruiter submitted my profile on a Friday, and received a call from the recruiter the following Monday informing me that the Hiring Manager from HSBC was interested in an on-site interview for the permanent role. The interview was scheduled for Wednesday @8am in the city. I interviewed first with the Manager of the newly created Custody Tax Group followed by her Manager. The interview was conversational, no behavioral questions which I prefer. Honestly, very easy interview. We of course delved into my resume and my tax accomplishments but not shedding too much light on other experiences outside of tax ops. I coined the interview a waste of time because both the recruiter that submitted me and the HSBC Managers both viewed my resume in order to know I was missing one of the main components HSBC Managers were looking for to which is 1042 processing. Although, my resume reflected knowledge of the 1042 form, it lacked extensive working knowledge as it relates to the withholding feature but yet they still invited me into the interview. As an unemployed person I spent $37 dollars (which consisted of public transportation since I did not drive my car) to get to that interview. If they were seeking someone with extensive knowledge of a specified process, the Hiring Managers should have bypassed my resume to prevent me from wasting my time and money.

After receiving the feedback the following week from the staffing recruiter which entailed me lacking the 1042 processing, I became livid. Because all the other tax processing was there with the exception of the extensive 1042 processing, I guess I am not trainable in their eyes. Even though, in retro I was trained on my entire accomplishments, as we all are. As no one comes into a new role, knowing everything because even the technology we're using to process said duties, a person has to be trained on. I got the impression the Manager felt she couldn't factor in time to train me on a simple 1042 process. I am quite sure she did not come into the job knowing the specifics or the technology used to processed the "specifics". These people will only train people or give an opportunity to someone they feel looks more like them, lets be honest and read in between the lines.

Senior Credit Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Had a phone interview with HR. The interviewer was disorganized but said that my information would be passed along to the hiring manager and that they would be in contact for an in-person interview. That was 2 months ago and the HR member has totally ignored my emails and calls. Very unprofessional.

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY).

Interview

Not the best experience ! First I was contacted by a recruiter who scheduled me for an interview with a branch manager ...I arrived for them to tell me the manager couldn't make it . They rescheduled again and the manager was a hr late and she had her employee interview me ... Who clearly didn't have any experience interviewing . After the process they gave me her card to follow up . Tried several times no answer. Received another call from a recruiter for another branch manager interview for another location ... Again the manager was late and interrupted by employees . To sum it all up both interviews were unsuccessful !

Interview Questions

• What does HSBC stand For and Where is there Head Quarters Located ?   1 Answer

Customer Experience Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Bethesda, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

Initially participated in an informal interview with a branch manager. The initial interview was very informative. An open dialogue was conducted to find out if my goals aligned with the position and potential future opportunities. It was clear that HSBC is looking to hire those with the intention of making a career out of joining the bank as opposed to those using it as simply a stepping stone.

Interview Questions

• What area are you interested in finance and do you see this opportunity as a potential career?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview

Long wait and thin pay. But well, it is worth doing especially if one plans to develop his/her career in HK, the most brand-conscious place in the world. HR was always in a condescending tone. However, I show my greatest respects with this company for their willingness to take in candidates with no work experience (even said that this wasn't a problem).

Interview was 2 rounds, first with HR (based in mainland) and line manager in HK. Both were behavioral questions except for a little bit general knowledge of HSBC expected in the 1st round. They expect specific answers. Just answer as detailed as possible, and try to carry the convo (not being overly dominating tho of course).

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you encountered when working in a group
      What are the core values of HSBC
      Talk about what you do outside the classroom etc
      Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Miami, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

One phone interview then in person. Phone interview was mostly about my background/resume. In person interview was mostly behavioral questions and technical skills. Interviewed by three different people 30 minutes each.

Interview Questions

• technical stuff, greatest achievement, one time where you had to handle a difficult situation   Answer Question

Risk Management Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got a call back incredibly quickly to schedule an interview in New York within the week. Interviewed 3 people at once, easy interview, no technical questions, but intimidating with so many people. Heard back within the next two days to submit a drug test and perform a background check before starting.
    Overall very straightforward, always dealing directly with people.

Interview Questions

• What skills can you bring to the company?
      Describe how your work experience has helped you grow
      (No technicals, but if you bring up technical skills, which you should, be sure to understand them at an intermediate level)
      Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview

it was very difficult. questions were very tough. started with technical round and all questions were bouncing back. some questions included what is your previous experience, how were you able to over come your weakness

Managing Associate Interview

Interview

the interview is about 60 minutes long and a lot of fit questions such as in a certain scenario how would you manage a problem. Also, know your resume well and be prepare to tell your experiences.

Interview Questions

• describe a difficult situation and explain how you overcome it, what's the result?   Answer Question