HSBC Holdings Premier Relationship Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HSBC Holdings Premier Relationship Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 26, 2017

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in May 2016.

Interview

Behavioral, role play. Really dived deep into previous role and goals/expectations there and how you expect to meet goals at this job. Pretty open ended, explained a lot about my current role, my education and what I am looking for in a manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one thing that you are passionate about that I wouldn't know   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for HSBC Holdings

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Applied online and had 3-4 interviews before getting an offer; met with local manager, senior management, and branch staff. Senior management promises the world and then you start and realize that they said things that were 180 degrees different than the reality. Get any and every expectation in writing! An email, something- about the location you'll work in, the hours, etc. Logically you would expect management to be somewhat accurate about your job, because why hire someone who will not be a fit or quit right away. But they need bodies in the jobs and retention of employees doesn't seem like a concern. Pay attention to little signs- I felt like there was some friction in the location I'm in at the interview but dismissed it, but there's been a lot of turnover and every employee in the office is looking at other jobs

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected; typical interview questions. The pay structure was unexpected- HSBC pays everyone now a "discretionary" bonus v a bonus based on production numbers (of course, it really is about x numbers of products sold...).   1 Answer
    • Not unexpected but was asked to do a role play with the manager as a new customer   1 Answer

Negotiation

I asked for a base pay that I was told needed an exception to approve (not really higher than industry average so I don't know if that was true), but no push back and I got what I'd asked for. Background check was a mess- everything is through a contact center in India so expect to be asked for documents over and over again (past W-2s etc). Urine drug test required as the last step. I regret not asking for more clarity about the work environment (some branches have the majority of their clients who's primary language isn't English, so you'll automatically lose an opportunity to work with those clients if you don't speak their language) . The stated goals in the interview process were very different than the actual goals I learned of once I started working

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (White Plains, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Slow process, Very sloppy questions, interviewer with absolutely no knowledge poor skills in how to interview. Really not happy how HSBC is screening people to hire, looks like they are not reading the resumes and instead of looking for talent they are looking for cheap labour.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

it took a month, first applied through referral, reaching out and had a phone interview for about 15 mins. Scheduled to have interview with your functional manager, wealth coach (investment) and the area manager. The process was longer than what I expect. And they required a lot of proof of your formal job W-2, recommendation letter, and stuff.

Interview Questions

• Why HSBC?
      How do you hear about us?
      Why you think we should hire you?
      How do you introduce HSBC to the client?
      How much time you spend on the phone?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, got the highest salary from the range

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

Initial contact was made through HSBC website. Within a couple weeks I was emailed by a recruiter. This individual wasn't the brightest and gave me a VERY narrow window to interview. I nearly couldn't make it and they seemed like they would pass me over rather quickly.

The recruiter did give me a window of salary so I knew going in where I could negotiate. At the interview was my line manager, their manager, and the area manager. It was a lengthy interview uncovering a very detailed background about me and the role itself.

Be prepared to speak intelligently about your background and how it applies to the role in specific detail. Important to fight for your prowess as a good fit.

Interview Questions

• No one particular question, but a barrage of detailed questions regarding the roles specifics and even asking how I would handle a specific situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered me at the low end of the spectrum, I countered slightly higher and they agreed.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

Face-to-Face interview with Recruiter, had to speak with one on the phone initially and submit a questionnaire. You are then invited to a panel interview. Most likely will be two people, however sometimes more can be present. Usually meet wit the Premier Segment Leader and the Branch Manager. The person in charge of the Financial Advisors in the area may also stop by.

Asked to submit a business plan, since it was for a new branch. It was toward the end of the year, so I got 5k less for base than I had wanted, instead negotiated for an extra 5k guaranteed bonus.

HSBC is known for poaching some of the best bank salespeople from competitors. They entice with the title, and salary, also the few fancy location they have. Buyer beware, most of the time it is a ploy to make you think you are interviewing for that location, the interview and the job listing may say one location, however the real job may be somewhere else. Also if you are doing well and have a few years of experience, they will want you to start as a Branch Relationship Banker and work your way up, which is very difficult because you get paid a low base, and not allowed to take affluent clients, so it defeats the purpose. I interviewed with HSBC 3 times in two different years, with two offers. There was a lot of bait-and switch both years. I had way more experience the second time around and didn't get the "start as a branch relationship banker first" routine.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a difficult situation with a client and how you handled it   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary. This is a high salary position with very little upside on commissions. If you are used to doubling your base at a competitor bank, negotiate for the highest paid salary possible, since at HSBC it is very difficult to make a lot commissions. If you are good at what you do, basically think of it as making your commissions as a draw against future commissions, added to your salary, make lots of sales, and you get to keep your job.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

Interviewed with market leader and branch manager. Was in meeting for over 1 hour. Discussed expectations of the position and my previous work experience. They also were looking for specific situational examples of how I would gain referrals, make goals and what I knew about HSBC.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in December 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter from HSBC, I interviewed with her on the phone, questions revolved around production, past experience. I was asked to complete an aptitude test, completed successfully. I was then referred to the hiring manager, his questions also revolved around production and he answered some specific questions about the position. Towards the end of the meeting, he led the question to asking me what my national origin was, I reluctantly answered the question. I later followed up with HR never mentioning the question about national origin, I was politely told they found more suitable candidates.

Interview Questions

• Where are you from originally?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

You will meet every single managere they can find and they will see if you fit there market

Interview Questions

Negotiation

get ready for a fight they dont buge on pay

Premier Relationship Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview

Fairly easy. Aimed at creating relaxed interview to put you at ease. Competency based questions, which are fine so long as one is well prepared. 1 interview and then offered the position. Did a good job at outlining what the role was and the responsibilities it included.