HSBC Holdings Trader Interview Questions | Glassdoor

HSBC Holdings Trader Interview Questions

Updated May 1, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (New York, NY).

Interview

Had excellent recommendation from a former manager who had joined HSBC a few months before. My future direct manager was an alumnus from my university and the personal contact was excellent.
Several interviews with different managers after that, none with HR (rubber stamping).
Due diligence was standard for a controlled employee (FINRA registered).

Interview Questions

• Standard career questions - progression, motivation, skills. Nothing original.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for HSBC Holdings

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

1 telephone interview that consists of few competency based questions. The interview was carried out in the morning at 8:00 am GMT . The interview lasted about 20 min with the HR, it was the first round as well so I think they were basically performing a filtering process. No matter what graduate roles you apply to in HSBC there will be such an interview . I think what they want to hear is the experience that you have which also to be able to prove that you have the required skill for the role.

Trader Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online, the first round was phone interview with HR from London HQ and was therefore conducted in English.
    The questions were pretty standard although the "World in 2050" topic seems to be important to them:

-Why Trading?
    -Why HSBC?
    -What will the global economy be like in 2050?
    -Which economies (countries) will be the strongest economically? Why?
    And how does it impact HSBC?
    -Talk me through a recent news story which has interested you and tell me how it impacts HSBC
    -What are HSBC’s values? How have these values helped HSBC through the crises?
    -What is your greatest strength and which area will you need to work on when working in trading?
    -Where do you see yourself in 5 years’ time?
    -Who is your role model in the financial industry (it can be someone you know personally or a public figure)?
    -What skills are important to be successful in Trading/Global Markets?

Interview Questions

• There was no real surprise since the large majority of the questions asked were mentioned on several career forums, etc.   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in March 2010.

Interview

Interview took place after being rescheduled thrice..mostly technical ques. why HK, no behavioral ques., was told that would be made to speak to other members of the team in a week's time but that never happened...came to knw from the recruiter after a month that they are looking for a more experienced hire

Interview Questions

• What was ur best and worst trading day (in terms of pnl)   Answer Question

Trader Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings in December 2009.

Interview

I met with five separate individuals, the interview lasted about two and a half hours. No technical questions beyond "what is credit?"; most of the questions were in the "tell me about yourself" vain. They wanted to know about my experience with excel and warned me that I would be doing a lot of clerical work to start. Everyone was pleasant -- much much more friendly than the equivalent desks at Bank of America and Citi were they are downright antagonistic.

Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jakarta (Indonesia)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Jakarta (Indonesia)) in January 2008.

Interview

be friendly and know your markets