HSBC Holdings Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017

3.1

418 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swansea, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Swansea, Wales (UK)).

Interview

Waste of time. After all the work you go through to get an interview. If you don't score over a certain amount on the role play phone section you don't even get through to the face to face part.
    It's so difficult the interviewer even told me to re-apply as I would have a better chance doing it the second time round. You have to read so much information (13 pages) about all different things to do with accounts (travel insurance, mortgages, loans, advanced holders) and my feedback was that. I was just reading off the screen even though it's a script??? I was also told 'you don't need to know about the products or about HSBC' but you clearly do to pass the phone interview.

Senior Audit Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings.

Interview

I had a very informal and seemingly unstructured interview which I thought went very well. This basically involved me talking through my CV and the two interviewers asking questions to understand how my skills were relevant to the role. 5 weeks later I have heard no feedback despite requests. So I can only assume I have not progressed but I am rather disappointed by HSBCs process.

Customer Service Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

First was the application stage where I applied and received an emailed saying I was unsuccessful after completing and passing 2 assessments. After about a month HSBC called and did a screening which ended in arranging a telephone interview which lasted about 25 minutes but was told it would take half an hour which were all competence based questions. I passed this stage and arranged a face to face interview which I was told lasts about an hour but took 35 minutes where I was asked all competence based questions. 4 days later received an email saying I was unsuccessful and to call their number to get feedback on the interview. I called the number and was told the interviewer left no notes.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe your greatest achievement?   Answer Question
    • Can you describe a time where you went beyond your job role for a customer ?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (London, England (UK)).

Interview

No phone interview, just one in person interview with 2 tests. All that you really need to know is that one of the 2 interviewers fell asleep while I was talking.... No one introduced themselves, no overview of the bank, department or position, answers to my questions were short and vague. I was rejected for not having sufficient experience...maybe if someone had bothered with a phone call first or reading my cv they would have accessed my experience.
    I know banking is a rough world but I have never met such an arrogant crowd. So rude and unprofessional.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Standard application process online, was contacted a few weeks later by the Head of the Department for face to face interview. Asked a lot of competency based questions with some technical questions. Many different situations thrown at you and asking how you'd respond. Some of these threw me off. Half the interview was conducted in Chinese. Make sure you understand the role and what you are applying for, this role was a lot more intense than I had imagined and very demanding for an associate position, additionally, they were seeking someone very specific due to the high demand of the role.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Total rubbish process from beginning to end. The screw-up starts at the recruiter not demonstrating great recruitment skills, messed up process that sends low confidence message to the candidate. Then the hiring manager is shooting for stars, literally. The entire process is flaky, poorly managed, no clear cut role profile, and the worst is they suggested a pay below market rate.

Regulatory Middle Office Interview

Interview

Interview process was actually positive. Agency were fantastic. Building my confidence. I attended three interviews in total. Both my agency and hiring managers were aware of the fact I didn't have direct regs experience. I felt each interview went well. I got on well with each hiring manager and department head. It's a team I could really see myself working in. I even returned home early from my holiday to attend the third round.
    This is where it went wrong. Although I had confirmation during the interviews my lack of regs knowledge wasn't a problem. I'd researched for many hours so that I could give an overview and show my willingness to learn and how much I wanted the opportunity. There were three positions and I was rejected at the last stage due to my lack of regs experience. Something that was known and spelled out to them before I even attended the first time. I find this dreadful lack of regard for the time and energy spent not only in attending an interview but all the prep work that I done behind the scenes to be told something which was clear from the start is appalling. If you get an interview and your skill set doesn't match really be forceful before you attend multiple rounds as to whether they will use this as a reason not to hire you.

Interview Questions

• We understand you don't have direct regs experience but do you have any knowledge on the subject?   Answer Question

Customer Services - Collections Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Birmingham, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Submitted online application form and following day asked to complete online assessment which consisted of scenarios I would encounter during a typical day of work.

Phone interview - I was contacted the following day late evening by a lady to see if I was available for a telephone interview the next day. The interview lasted for 15-20mins and consisted of competency based questions. Reading from other reviews, people are invited for a face to face interviews following the telephone interview. However the lady told me she would be in contact within the next couple of days so don't be worried if you aren't offered an interview straight away!

Face to face - I arrived a few mins late so I didn't make the greatest first impression. However the person I was interviewed by was very friendly and welcoming. The interview was very relaxed and consisted of competency based questions, the outline of the job role and the challenges I would encounter. About 40mins into the interview, the interviewee invited the Department manager. He pretty much asked me the same questions and went through my CV for a further 20mins. I was told I would hear back within a week.

3 days later I received a phone call with a lady offering me the position.

Customer Service - Commercial Customer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Leicester, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Situation Judgement Test (Easy Typical Work Practice)
    Telephone Interview (Competency Based Questioned)
    The Final stage is onsite interview. (Five Competency Questions / Role Play )
    The overall process is designed to provide a great interview experience and it does provide opportunity to learn about the role and the HSBC Contact Center. You will be required to have flexibility with shift patterns, ability to change the shift pattern when require by the business and you will not able to leave the job within 12 months. you will not able to gain a parking permit on site due to there is 4 years of waiting period.

On site interview turned out to be very unprofessional. The interviewer enjoyed chewing gum whilst conducting a interview and appalling at making notes whilst you answer the competency based questions. During the interview you can feel that you will be treated as a number rather than a human being. The role play exercise is basic but the second part has a tiny trick to it, how much would it cost for the travel insurance? The provided information would not have specific cost so if you chose not to provide a price or provide a made up number then your answer would be wrong therefore unsuccessful with the job application.

Feedback after the application would involve persuasive comment such you will be welcome to apply again, but unfortunately this time you haven’t got the job. Well Done HSBC !
    I was passionate about joining the most amazing company, but later stage I found out that I have been let down by the incompetent recruiter and lack in manners.

Overall the interview process is interactive and fairly easy.

Interview Questions

• Questions will vary but they are made around HSBC core values.
      Regulatory process, Dealing with challenging Situation, Why HSBC and the particular role ?   1 Answer

Commercial Customer Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leicester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HSBC Holdings (Leicester, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Started with an online application and then some online assessments - which weren't too bad. i was followed up with a telephone interview asking some questions. I passed this stage and then was contacted to book a face to face interview. This consisted off a role play and some questions. I feel as if the questions werent asked that well leading me to become confused and not answer them in the way that they wanted them to be. Best advice i can give is follow the STAR method and be as specific as possible. this is one thing they mark you on. the questions that were asked on the telephone interview were asked again at the face to face interview. when i got my feedback she explained about the silences during the role play - i think this is unfair especially if you've never done a call centre role before and the amount of information they give you for the role play. they ask 5 questions and ask for an example to relate it too.

Interview Questions

• When have you find it hard to follow policies and procedures?   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time when you delivered exceptional customer service?   Answer Question
    • A question about working along side others and maintaining working relationships.   Answer Question
    • What are your career aspirations?   Answer Question