Half Price Books Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 16, 2017

2.2

50 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Applied online, had to chase the application up twice. Had i not done this i think i would not have been interviewed. I was called back for an interview, and then for a second one (i think 2 interview are unnecessary at the best of times, but most definitely unnecessary for a position like this) i was then offered a position a day or 2 later

Interview Questions

• Name the last book you read   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Half Price Books

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I arrived 15 minutes early and went up to the front desk and told them I had an interview. I was brought back to the office where I was introduced to two of the store managers. One manager asked the questions while the other one didn't talk but just observed. They began by telling me about the job and all the work that would be required from selling books, buy backs, research, and stocking. They then began with formal questions like about my previous jobs, my education and what I studied, to what I thought good customer service was, an example of when something went wrong with a customer and how I fixed the problem, what I did at previous jobs, and then we talked about what my favorite books were, what genres I like to read, and a few book related questions. I could tell the interview was going quite well because as I was talking, the 2nd manager who was supposed to remain quiet, chirped in and we all began to have a conversation and some laughs. The whole process from the time I applied to the time I received the job was a total of 4 days. I applied on the first day, had the interview on the third day and was offered the job on the fourth. The interview lasted for about 15-20 minutes and then they said if I got the job they would call me back.

Interview Questions

• What were your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • What was your education?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question
    • What do you think good customer service is?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of something that went wrong with a customer and how it was resolved.   Answer Question
    • What did you do at previous jobs and what were the main tasks associated with those positions?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite book? Favorite genres?   Answer Question
    • If a customer came in and asked for a book recommendation for their father who is outdoorsy, what would you recommend?   Answer Question
    • If a customer came in looking for a novel for their daughter that was fantasy based with little to no nudity or sexual scenes, what would you recommend?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

The interview was really short. It only last about 10 minutes. They called me back about 5 days later letting me know I didn't get the job. The interview was a little awkward because there were two people there to interview me but only one of them asked questions. The other guy just sat there and shook his head every now and then. They asked questions like what my favorite book and music genres are. They also asked what my strengths and weaknesses are. The only question they asked that threw me off was to give an example of some good customer service that I received recently.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of good customer service that you received recently?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Austin, TX).

Interview

1. Apply
    2. In person interview. Pretty basic, mostly covers what the job is about and what is expected of you.
    3. One week later, get a call back with an offer

It's pretty cut and dry. If they have an opening they're looking to fill it asap.

Interview Questions

• What interests you in the company? Why do you think you'll be a good fit?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Concord, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got call for interview that week. Met with manager and assistant manager. Very casual, nonstressful interview, but I was prepared. Lasted approx. one half hour, friendly and easy to talk to. They were open to questions and listened carefully. Actually enjoyable!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

I was contacted by my cell phone from a store manager, who asked me to come in for an interview. She gave me a time, but I had to ask her for her name and where to go for my interview. She acted like she wanted to hang up on me before I could even get my questions out. Then when I went in for the interview, she asked me what I thought the job entailed, but I had never even seen a job description. The online listing just said "enthusiastic people person" so obviously I was floundering around. I left feeling as if they had set me up to fail. The interview wasn't hard, but it was unorganized which made it difficult to do well.

Interview Questions

• What did you do at each of your previous positions, what so you you think this job is like, what is your availability.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

I received a phone call within a couple of days of applying and was brought in for an interview. We went over my resume and education (i was a recent college graduate). We then went over the HPB application which includes a series of questions about likes and dislikes of books and genres, books that have made an impact on your life, music preferences, etc. I received a call the next day with an offer for the position, I accepted, a d I started work the next week. All in all the process took under two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What are you currently reading? What are your preferred genres?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Applied online. Basic 30-minute interview, semi-professional in tone, with manager and assistant manager. Combination of standard questions along with more conversational chat about books, movies, fun nerdy things. Basically, they wanted to make sure I was someone who cared about books and media and who had basic customer service orientation. A lot of the interview is just to determine if you are a "Half Price Books person," as my manager put it.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing that has bothered you in previous work environments and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Naperville, IL).

Interview

There were two interviews, first is with the assistant manager then if they like you, the store manager will interview you. For the most part they were just trying to see if I'd fit in into their culture once they knew I met the minimum qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Do you read? What are some of your favorite books/ genre/ music.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

I feel like the guy decided I was cool within 30 seconds. Later I learned the manager was basically hiring for personality types which he decided would work from past experience. Which was great for me! But unfair to others considering they usually have hundreds of applicants.