Half Price Books Bookseller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Half Price Books Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Jun 24, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Austin, TX).

Interview

1. Apply
2. In person interview. Pretty basic, mostly covers what the job is about and what is expected of you.
3. One week later, get a call back with an offer

It's pretty cut and dry. If they have an opening they're looking to fill it asap.

Interview Questions

• What interests you in the company? Why do you think you'll be a good fit?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Half Price Books

Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Concord, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online, got call for interview that week. Met with manager and assistant manager. Very casual, nonstressful interview, but I was prepared. Lasted approx. one half hour, friendly and easy to talk to. They were open to questions and listened carefully. Actually enjoyable!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

I was contacted by my cell phone from a store manager, who asked me to come in for an interview. She gave me a time, but I had to ask her for her name and where to go for my interview. She acted like she wanted to hang up on me before I could even get my questions out. Then when I went in for the interview, she asked me what I thought the job entailed, but I had never even seen a job description. The online listing just said "enthusiastic people person" so obviously I was floundering around. I left feeling as if they had set me up to fail. The interview wasn't hard, but it was unorganized which made it difficult to do well.

Interview Questions

• What did you do at each of your previous positions, what so you you think this job is like, what is your availability.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

I received a phone call within a couple of days of applying and was brought in for an interview. We went over my resume and education (i was a recent college graduate). We then went over the HPB application which includes a series of questions about likes and dislikes of books and genres, books that have made an impact on your life, music preferences, etc. I received a call the next day with an offer for the position, I accepted, a d I started work the next week. All in all the process took under two weeks.

Interview Questions

• What are you currently reading? What are your preferred genres?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Applied online. Basic 30-minute interview, semi-professional in tone, with manager and assistant manager. Combination of standard questions along with more conversational chat about books, movies, fun nerdy things. Basically, they wanted to make sure I was someone who cared about books and media and who had basic customer service orientation. A lot of the interview is just to determine if you are a "Half Price Books person," as my manager put it.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing that has bothered you in previous work environments and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Naperville, IL).

Interview

There were two interviews, first is with the assistant manager then if they like you, the store manager will interview you. For the most part they were just trying to see if I'd fit in into their culture once they knew I met the minimum qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Do you read? What are some of your favorite books/ genre/ music.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

I feel like the guy decided I was cool within 30 seconds. Later I learned the manager was basically hiring for personality types which he decided would work from past experience. Which was great for me! But unfair to others considering they usually have hundreds of applicants.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisville, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Lewisville, TX).

Interview

I was surprised, they called me back the next day to set up an interview after applying online. They were running behind because they were busy that day, but once we started the interview didn't take very long. The assistant manager and a shift manager were both in on the interview, and for the most part asked very basic questions. Why I applied, what kinds of books I like, how I would handle an angry customer, etc etc etc. They threw me off at the end with questions about who wrote A Tale of Two Cities, who wrote 1984, and asked me if I could list a couple of books by Charles Dickens. In the end they didn't hire me, but also didn't bother telling me no, which was frustrating. They put me off when I called again after a week and never called again.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Plano, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Interview was conducted by Assistant Manager and a second person. General questions about schedule, why I wanted to work there, etc., were asked. Was told I would receive a call back if I was a match

Anonymous Employee in Greenwood, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Greenwood, IN) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received two interviews that were a couple of days apart. Business casual dress. Both interviews were quite a relaxed environment. The interview questions weren't scripted which was wonderful. I honestly felt as though they were genuinely interested in me as a person.

Interview Questions

• What books, movies, other media have you reviewed lately?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time where you had to deal with a frustrating situation.   Answer Question