Hanover Research Content Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 8, 2017

2.9

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Content Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted within two weeks to schedule a phone interview. The call went well and I enjoyed speaking with their HR officer. After the phone screen, I was asked to complete a "homework assignment". While a skills review/test is fairly standard, to have one be the next step after an initial phone screen isn't something I've encountered before. The "assignment" was to research and write a paper on a topic they chose and the turnaround time was roughly two weeks. A skills assessment is to be expected for many positions. However, this ultimately came across as the company asking for free work. I did complete the assignment, but their hiring process left a bad impression.

Jul 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry the interview process left a poor impression on you. The homework assignment is a mock assessment that allows candidates to get a sense of the scope and pace... More

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Began with phone interview with recruiter. Next step is a writing sample, which involves receiving a mock research prompt and writing a market analysis report. You get a week to finish this. Assuming you are moved to the next step, you interview with three directors, one after the other. Questions in each interview are fairly similar. I didn't feel like anyone was trying to trick me or stump me. The actual interviews were pleasant.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you will adapt to short timelines and fast turnover in projects?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

I met with the director of one of the content areas after a networking event. The director was very friendly, asked appropriate questions, and gave me a clear insight of what the role involved and the company culture.

This was an informal interview prior to a more formal interview process with appropriate personnel. She didn't have an opening appropriate for my skill set, but she is going to forward my information to the appropriate folks within the organization. I'm hopeful of a second, more formal interview in the next week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fine although it was marked by some unprofessionalism. On the day of my HR phone interview (for which I prepared and planned to go into work late), the HR contact called after the scheduled time to let me know they could no longer take the call. We rescheduled for another time and again, I prepared, and the HR contact did not call or email to let me know that they would not be calling. After I emailed to ask if I had misunderstood, the HR contact told me that they didn't call because of a personal emergency. The interview finally occurred after the 3rd rescheduling. After this phone screen, I had to do an online assessment, and then prepare a research assignment, and participate in an in-person interview. After not receiving an offer, I requested feedback and I was told that company policy prevented any details on the hiring process to be divulged. Many places don't always follow up with feedback, but I left the process feeling like my time was disrespected...

Interview Questions

• Describe the process you undertake to respond to a research question.   Answer Question

Mar 14, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am very sorry to hear that your experience with our recruiting team was not positive. We strive to treat each candidate courteously and be respectful of their time... More

Content Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research in November 2014.

Interview

6 week process, writing samples, online assessment test, created a sample report (was given a week to work on it). When I spoke to my peers about the process, many said that they wouldn't be surprised if my sample report was actually used by Hanover for one of their clients.

It would have helped if Hanover had made me write a report on a topic that was outside of their work domain since I have no idea if my intellectual property is now being passed off as one of their reports!

Interview Questions

• What type of experience you've had that matches the requirements of this job?   Answer Question

Feb 23, 2015 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I can confirm that we use one of two homework assignments for our research candidates depending on whether they are applying to our Education or For-Profit practices... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

1.) Online Application - Pretty standard for a research organization

2.) Intelligence/Personality Test - This was pretty straight-forward. I will say, though, that I have a background in psychology. Because of this, I knew exactly what they were measuring and so I easily could have manipulated portions of the test. I didn't, but I could have.

3.) Phone Interview - Pretty standard, once again. The interviewer was very good at her job and was very personable. She quickly discovered that Content Analyst was not the best position for me, so she transitioned the interview toward a position that would make better use of my skills.

4.) Homework Assignment - I was asked to conduct a statistical analysis and write up the results. The recruiter e-mailed me a few Excel files and told me to have a written report of the findings within five days.

I withdrew my candidacy at this point. Although I understand that a research company needs to ensure the quality of their job candidates, I had four other interviews within a week of receiving the homework assignment and I needed time to prepare for those. I would recommend that the hiring team streamline the process a little more to prevent losing out on the most competitive job candidates.

Nov 8, 2014 – CHRO

Thank you so much for your feedback. I can certainly understand your decision to withdraw from the process with so many other interviews to prepare for. I do understand that our interview process is... More

Senior Content Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

1. After submitting my application online, I was contacted by HR for a lengthy online test (personality, verbal, math). This shows that they get a large volume of applicants, and are eager to eliminate those who don't fit into a certain type of "culture". The test itself looks like a mini SAT test. Make sure you brush up on your 3D/spatial visualization skills. That caught me off guard and took me longer than I thought it would.

2. They got back to me right away after the test, and HR set up a phone interview with me. The phone interview was largely resume-based: "what kind of research experiences do you have" that type of questions. Very simple and straightforward. Make sure you know your resume/experiences well. I was asked to give a salary expectation, I picked one that was similar to my previous job's salary and got a "hmmmm, I see" from HR. I knew it was above their salary range based on glassdoor data., but I backed it up by restating my qualifications (STEM Master's, a few years of work experience, etc.)

3. At the end of the phone interview, I was told during the phone interview that I would get a writing test. The topic itself is pretty easy, but the sources are limited to internet based, free, open sources. You have a week to do this test, which isn't really that much time especially if you work full-time. Be prepared to devote at least 20 hours to this paper. The paper itself bored me to tears, and thinking that I'd be doing that full time at this Hanover job honestly made me panic a bit.

4. A few days after I submitted my paper, I got an automated email saying that I was no longer being considered.

I just want to sum everything up by saying that if you love research and writing papers full-time, this is the job for you. I am glad it didn't work out for me, because I would be miserable spending my days googling and writing papers on a full-time basis. I also entered the interview process with a lot of enthusiasm and armed myself with lots of knowledge by researching the company rigorously, but those qualifies did not appear to be important to them.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online in for the Senior Content Analyst position--a resume and writing sample were required. I was able to land a phone interview, thanks to some LinkedIn networking. That interview went well. I over prepared for it: All they really asked was about my work history and my salary requirement.
    They followed by by email and told me they wanted to interview for a different position that was more aligned to my current job. I initially hesitated, but then gave in because this company seems to be growing,and I wanted to be part of it.
    The next step was for me to take a Berke assessment, a gruelling online test of your aptitude, personality, and probably IQ. I really wish I knew how I did! After that, I was asked to edit a market research report, which I did. After a week, they emailed to tell me that they "decided to move forward with other candidates for this particular opportunity at this point in time." No reason given at all. Since we had moved so far along in the process, I assumed that their decision was based on my editing.
    So I kindly thanked them for the opportunity to contend for the position and asked them to tell me generally what I could improve on with my editing assignment and if I was still in contention for the position I originally applied for. No response. Even if they replied to say that it is company policy to not discuss the assignment, that would have been fine. Any response would have been the courteous move.
    I understand that companies don't want to go back and forth with a rejected job applicant. But I feel that young companies especially should understand the value of treating job applicants with dignity, especially after subjecting them to a demanding interview process, which lasted nearly FOUR WEEKS.
    I wish Hanover Research the best. The interview process deepened my desire to pursue a career in market research. I just want other candidates to be aware of the process.

Interview Questions

• What is your salary requirement?   1 Answer

Aug 5, 2014 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the process overall but am sorry to hear that you had not received a response to your last email at the time of writing this review. Our... More

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

About a month after I submitted my application online, I got an email from an HR personnel at Hanover to do a phone interview. The atmosphere was casual (as in she sounded easy-going), but there were definitely very focused questions regarding knowledge of and ability to perform key parts of the job. I even went into some detail about how some of my relevant experiences (both at work and in grad school), and she seemed to have enough of a background to understand a lot of it, and there was some good back-and-forth during the conversation. Toward the end of the chat, it seemed like I had done a successful job of demonstrating my fit to the position, and she talked about the next steps in some detail.

These next steps, occuring within 2 weeks of the phone interview, (in Q2 of 2014) were as follows: (1) an IQ + Myers-Briggs-type mixture assessment (which took about an hour), and (2) a homework-like 2-hour timed assessment (they email you some rough details about what will be expected of you for this 2nd assessment). The first is self-explanatory for anyone who has ever taken one of those things. It was pretty intensive since it's considerably longer than a usual assessment of that kind. It was tiring, but there's really no preparing for it. The second mimics bits of what actual projects are like Hanover: a few broad (and some narrower) research questions, some data, and some rough directions for a report. For me, two hours was just barely enough to complete the assessment at a level that I was reasonably satisfied with (they look for content and not grammar/spelling since it's timed). I would definitely recommend doing some review or practice of related skills (Excel, making tables in Word, displaying analytical results, etc) since there isn't much time to google things. Of course, the things to review really depends on the type of content analyst that you're interviewing for.

After just under a week, Hanover reached out to me for an in-person interview. A week after that, I went in to speak with 3 manager-level (e.g., Managing Content Directors) personnel. The receptionist was very friendly, and I remember being impressed by the decor. A lot of things were green (teal is the main Hanover color), and I like green. Conversations were about 45 minutes each. All of them were friendly and candid. These interviews were definitely to gauge my personality and how well I'd fit in to one of their teams and to the company, in general. There were no purely technical questions since they left most of that for the 2nd assessment. At the content analyst level, they certainly look for the ability to complete one-person projects in a timely manner (5-day projects), but they also look for the ability to communicate and aspirations for progression through the ranks in the company. Basically, some people are fine with just working on projects, but there is room to rise for those who aspire, by becoming proficient enough to coach and eventually manage others in projects and/or by being charismatic enough to communicate with and attract/retain clients.

After about a week, they extended an offer (at a salary around the number that I had given during the phone interview).

Interview Questions

• I had submitted a writing sample in my application. For the in-person interview, I was so caught up with seeing who my interviewers were and preparing specifically for the key items listed in the job description that I forgot to carefully look over my writing sample.

I was asked about it and couldn't recall all of it, so I had to divert the conversation to another project that I had done in the past. That explanation was also not superbly done since I hadn't really prepared for it, but it turned out that the level was somewhat beyond what is expected for typical projects at Hanover. I think they let me off the hook for this blunder in the end, but that was definitely the weakest and most difficult part of my interview. It's certainly something that every interviewee can and should prepare for.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to get a salary that's somewhat higher than what tends to be given to content analysts, though that could be due to my advanced degree and technical background.

Nov 8, 2014 – CHRO

Thank you for your review of the interview process at Hanover Research and welcome to the team! Your feedback and advice to candidates interviewing in person to re-read their homework assignment is... More

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research.

Interview

I initially submitted an application and was contacted about one week later to let me know that they were interested in moving on to the next step with me, which was an online test. After the online test, I got a phone interview with the hiring manager, which just talking about my resume and my interest in hanover research.

Interview Questions

• Not really very difficult- Are you interested in Education area   Answer Question