Hanover Research Interview Questions in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

60 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview process began with an online personality exam. I was then contacted for a 20-30 minute phone screen. Once completed, I was issued a prompt to complete a mock research report. Following the mock report is an inperson interview.

Senior Market Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied June 28, received online assessment July 3, completed online assessment July 5, phone interview with recruiter July 26, received mock research report assignment July 31, submitted research assignment August 2, rejection received August 17 - 7 weeks total.
    I am quite disappointed by my experience with Hanover, particularly because 1) the process deviated from what the recruiter described, 2) twice I had to chase up timelines when HR/recruiter said they would respond (and they had not), and 3) the quality of my work was not referenced in the reason for not being invited for a final interview.
    First, the recruiter described the process well as phone interview, mock exercise, and final interview, but ultimately, there was no final interview. It appeared that they hired another candidate outside of this process, which gives the impression that not all candidates are treated equally.
    Secondly, Hanover is good at offering when they will provide you with a response, but they are not terribly great at sticking to that timeline. You most likely will need to chase them up, which does not make a candidate feel positively about what it is like to work at Hanover.
    Thirdly, the recruiter stated that I would receive feedback on my mock research report exercise, but after chasing him up after he twice missed feedback deadlines, he said they went with another candidate that had "a bit more experience in our niche market". I was offered no feedback on my work - indicating that it may have not even been read, which would indicate that my application was not judged on its merit - and no opportunity to interview, which is a common technique used if the hiring is "a tough decision".
    I would not discourage anyone from applying; although, I would discourage anyone from expecting HR/recruiting to follow industry standards and/or adhere to the timelines that they set.
    Growing pains and lost opportunities, Hanover.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Sep 8, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read that your recruiter was slow to respond to you and did not stick to the timeline. This is not something that is acceptable, regardless of the outcome... More

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA).

Interview

Note: As I write this review, I have yet to hear about an offer as I just had my interview, but the estimated time is within a week.

Resume/ Cover letter review > phone call > data assignment > Skype interview with team. The process progressed weekly. There were no surprises in the final interview, questions were relevant to the position. No math or data brain teaser questions. Not a lot of focus on questions related to the data task, which surprised me, but I would recommend being well-versed in how you tackled the assignment anyway.

Interview Questions

• What is a mistake that you made in data analysis that effected your work and other people?   Answer Question
    • How do your peers describe you?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience working on survey research -- what parts of the process were you involved in?   Answer Question
    • What are things you have learned to avoid in designing surveys and absolute "dos" for survey design?   Answer Question
    • How do you explain complex concepts to unfamiliar audiences?   Answer Question

Content Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in August 2017.

Interview

After I submitted my application I was contacted by a recruiter to take an SAT-style test that had elements of a personality quiz, verbal and logic based questions as well as a typing and writing test. From there I had a phone interview with the recruiter who asked questions about my background, interests and process for content management.

Next I was asked to edit an assignment. If you've ever worked in copy editing or research, this is the easiest part of the entire process. I actually enjoyed completing the assignment and took it as a indication that if the day-to-day work was similar, I would enjoy the role.

Finally, there was an in-person interview with the hiring managers. I spoke to three different people for about 45 minutes each. The questions mostly focused on my skill sets as a researcher and approach to business problems. For example, I was asked about turf analysis, quantitative skills and project management.

While I did receive an offer, I ultimately declined for three reasons. One the work week was expected to be between 50-60 hours the first month and from there 45-55 hours. Personally, I'm not interested in that many hours. Second, the base salary offered was $6K lower than what I told them my minimum was, although they said I could easily make it up with bonuses based on renewal and retention and finally, they didn't offer any relocation.

I don't think that the job itself is a bad one and I felt that the Content Directors seemed to have it easier than the Research Analysts in terms of work load but if I'm going to change jobs and move, it needs to be a really great match, not just a good one.

Sales and Business Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC).

Interview

Applied online to a position which appealed to my skill set and professional motivations. I spoke to a recruiter who was very matter-of-fact, like all recruiters. I did the usual follow up and learned they wanted me to come in for a face-to-face meeting for the next round.

Interview Questions

• Give an example where you managed sales people.   1 Answer
    • Not a question but a worthwhile statement for future candidates.   1 Answer

May 25, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for your feedback. It is unclear from your review what happened that made this a negative experience for you. Without knowing this, it is difficult for an employer to make changes to the... More

Survey Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied to Hanover research online and was contacted by an HR representative within a couple of days. From there, I was directed to take an online assessment that measured a variety of things, including spacial awareness, typing speed and personality tests (to name a few parts).

After completing the online assessment, I was asked to interview with an HR representative, where I was asked about my past experience and learned more about the company and the role. At this point, I was also asked to indicate my desired salary (just a heads up that you should be doing your research about your role before the HR interview).

The next step was the most time-consuming: the survey assessment. I had 4 days to complete it, and it was requested that I spend no more than 8 hours on it. For the survey assessment, Hanover sent me a data set and a list of questions that they wanted answered pertaining to the data set. The list of questions also included an open-ended essay-type question that asked me to draw my own conclusions (key findings) from the data. So, basically I just cleaned the data, ran some analyses and wrote it up. It took about a week and a half for them to review my write-up and get back to me, but the feedback was positive and they decided to move forward with my application.

The final round interview consisted of three separate interviews over the span of an hour and a half. I interviewed with people I am currently working with/under. The questions were mostly behavioral and each interviewer made sure to give me time to ask my own questions about the role and company.

Interview Questions

Hanover Research Response

Apr 28, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you so much for sharing your positive experience. We look forward to welcoming you to Hanover!

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in February 2017.

Interview

Excellent. There was a 30-min Excel test done online before the in-person. Interview was pretty straight-forward; a one on one, 45 min interview with the controller (in this case, the person that the hire would be directly reporting to). Interview was a nice balance between questions about me and my qualifications vs information about the position and insight about company as a whole. No real major curveballs. The interviewer stated that she didn't really believe in resumes as a single indicator of a good candidate and instead preferred to establish more of a conversational feel with permission for both sides of the table to stop and interrupt. Very casual and relaxed. Definitely a culture I felt I could fit in with.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what I should know about yourself that I can't already gather from your resume?   Answer Question

Feb 24, 2017 – CHRO

Thank you for the positive feedback. We are sorry that you were unable to accept our offer and join our team but appreciate the kind words.

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

Met a representative at a university career fair, basic first round interview, interesting written assessment that gives you a great insight into the work you would be doing. Overall a great experience and the people I met seemed like the best you could hope to work with. Couldn't proceed with the process because I needed to accept elsewhere, but would recommend to anyone.

Business Development Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online through college job-board, and was contacted for a quick phone interview in the next few days. Conversation with recruiter was personable, packed with information and skills-related questions based on the resume I submitted. Then, was invited to interview in person at the VA office and contacted shortly after with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Phone:

Walk me through your resume?
      What do you know about Hanover?
      What do you know about the Business Development role?
      Why sales?
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Panel Interview:

-Walk me through your resume?
      -What do you know about the BDA role?
      -What is your favorite book?
      -What are your hobbies?
      -What keeps your motivated?
      -What are the most important qualities of a sales associate?
      -What kind of manager do you prefer?
      Panel interview flowed like a conversation.

Shadow:

Able to shadow a senior associate to learn software used on the job

1-on-1:
      -What do you know about Hanover?
      -I see you went to ___ University. What is a problem there that perhaps Hanover can fix? Walk me through your thinking.

Very transparent process, friendly people. You will know if they like you.   1 Answer

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hanover Research (Arlington, VA) in January 2017.

Interview

I submitted my application onlyne and in 2-3 weeks I received an email with an invitation to take an online test. The test evaluated different aspects of my cognitive skills, personality, and general questions about my behavior in a work environment. The day after the test, I was asked to schedule a phone interview, the recruiter was very nice and mostly explained what the job was about and other information about the company and how it works, the second part of the interview was focused in my general background. 4 days after I got an email telling me that they decided to move forward with other applicants.
    Although I didn't get an offer, I would describe the process as smooth and the recruiter as nice. I would recomend applicants to read everything about the company in their website and their careers blog and to have a good idea of their potential contribution.