Harris Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 11, 2017

2.7

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mayaguez, PR

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Harris (Mayaguez, PR) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied in a college career fair. The interviewer was very interested. I got a call on the same day and was interviewed the next day. I talked about my resume, work experiences, the interview was completely behavioral, didn't received a call even though they said I was to be recommended for the position.

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

I had about 6 interviews, during the last stages they asked me to solve a case. Each interviewer was efficient with the time and prepared. The recruiters were great at following up throughout the process.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral, Examples from past experiences (situation, problem, what did you do)   Answer Question

Talent Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in August 2016.

Interview

The process began with a phone screen with a headhunter, then an internal Harris recruiter, then the hiring manager. Next I was asked to do an in-person interview in Florida at the corporate headquarters where I was scheduled to meet with 6 interviewers. I had problems with my travel arrangements and then I was unable to meet with all of the interviewers. Lastly I was promised to be reimbursed for my expenses but that did not happen. I asked for the form twice but never received it. On a positive note, they did welcome me with a gift basket in my hotel room.

I ended up telling the recruiter I was not interested in the role or the company before any further decisions could be made. The environment at HQ is too stuffy. No flexibility whatsoever.

Interview Questions

• I was asked mostly about my experience in talent management, compensation, succession planning, and analytics.   Answer Question

Manufacturing Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harris (Rochester, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Received a call from HR asking to set up in person interview with hiring manager two weeks after applying online. Met with four person panel, questions were based on my previous experience and how they related to this role.

Oniste Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Langley AFB, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Langley AFB, VA).

Interview

It was a telephone interview as offices are scattered all over the continental U.S. It was an all inclusive interview about my experience and willingness to travel. I knew most of the personnel on the phone so the interview was pretty easy.

Interview Questions

• Can I work alone/unsupervised?   1 Answer

Web Developer Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris.

Interview

Got interviewed by three individuals, they knew this would have been my first internship and they were very friendly and helpful. The interview was painless, and they actually made it enjoyable.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Palm Bay, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview starts off with security, followed by two engineers for one hour, than another pair of engineers the second hour. Lunch with another engineer, they say its not part of the interview process, but I have been around long enough to know the game is always on. The lunch time conversation is informal, but you are being evaluated. Next interviewer, after lunch, is the engineering manager, in most companies this would be a director (she had 120 engineers under her). Final is an interview with HR, who will not tell you anything, because that's what HR does (they do not want a lawsuit).

Now for my opinion.

I am a seasoned engineer, working in defense for 15 years or so. This is the second in person interview I have done with Harris in 5 years, both times were negative experiences. On the flight back I realized they had not asked me one single engineering question, nor had they adequately explained what their products are, or even a high level view of what they even do at that site. I decided I wouldn't take an offer from them, even for more money for the following reasons:

- Computer Science snobbery, yes, if you are an engineer that can write C++ code (03,11 or 14) they will not ask you anything about that, instead they are fixated on simple c problems. I was handed on the spot coding questions, from a snarky kid, trying to see if you will get it wrong.

- No discussion or questions about process (Agile, SCRUM etc)

- Constant behavioral questions, probably 50%, written by some HR specialist (i.e. How would you handle a difficult co worker)

- Not ONE single engineering question, I am a EE, nothing asked of me related to engineering, which I thought was strange.

- Snide comments about being more hardware oriented, excuse me. "Embedded Software Engineer" means you are close to the hardware. If you really want to write software for Harris, strip out any hardware references in your resume, they have strict dividing line between hardware and software, I wasn't impressed with them, they do not seem to want well rounded engineers.

- They act more like a commercial company than a defense contractor

- What the hell do they work on? Some idea of the product or environment the code will be developed for would be nice. How about some slides showing what you do, I had no clue when I left. As I said earlier, on the flight back I made up my mind I wouldn't take an offer from a company where there is zero certainty of what or how they do things.

- Three of the 'software engineers' were considered 'Chief Software Engineers', they were around the age of 30, one was out of college only a few years. I don't know about you, but I want to work with seasoned engineers, not a bunch of kids. The director was young also, seemed to busy, and made sure to brag about her constant contact with executives.

My advice, if you are over 40, and want a mature environment were you can grow, look somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• Stupid behavioral questions. A few ridiculous corner case c style programming questions. Hardly any OOP or RTOS type questions, very little on STL or Boost, C++11,14 modern C++ methods.   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harris (Clifton, NJ) in July 2016.

Interview

The application lasted little over 2 months. Get into a phone interview after a phone call from Harris HR technical recruiter with screening questions and conversation and scheduled the phone interview several weeks later. Talked with a manager whose manager is hiring the position during phone interview. Two days after the phone interview the onsite interview is scheduled and trip arranged for the following week. The onsite interview is a panel format with three or four people each session (total 2 sessions). The two panels are from different projects. The panel are fairly professional and asked many behavior questions and project managing related questions.

Interview Questions

• Give an example that you investigated and resolved a quality issue and how do you interact with the customer?   Answer Question
    • How do you manage resource conflict?   Answer Question

Security Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Clifton, NJ) in July 2016.

Interview

Bit drawn out but personable. Not stuffy, they want to see the real you. It took awhile, one phone interview with HR, and then 2 department interviews. About a month or more of going through the motions but all in all very worth it. Awesome company and department to be in!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harris (Rochester, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview then in-person interview with entire team a month or two later. It wasn't that clear what the job was. Make sure you understand the job. Also, the team didn't make it clear that they don't help each other out at all with projects. This was a normal part of my old job. They didn't ask any skills questions.