Harris Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 5, 2017

2.4

35 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harris (Palm Bay, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

Was first contacted by engineering manager via email to schedule a phone screen. Then moved onto onsite interview at the HTC in Palm Bay. Onsite consisted of two panels with two software leads each, with lunch in between at the cafeteria. Closing interview was with engineering manager. Heavily focused on behavioral questions (using STAR approach). There were barely any technical questions.

Interview Questions

• FizzBuzz   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time where someone wasn't pulling their weight, and how did you handle that situation?   Answer Question
  • How did you go about learning something that you used in your previous job?   Answer Question
  • If you were in a position to cut features in order to meet a deadline, how would you do it?   Answer Question
  • Add exception handling to this code snippet.   Answer Question
  • Given an array of integers where only one integer is unique, return the unique integer.   Answer Question
  • Explain the software development process used at your company.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Harris

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Harris.

Interview

I found out about this company at an information session at Ohio State. I got interested and sent my resume to the recruiter. Then two weeks later I got a phone interview. This was a 30 minute telephone interview and they asked me about one of the projects that I worked on. They also asked me one technical question about inheritance in Java.

Anonymous Employee in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harris (Palm Bay, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

They had me come in for an all-day interview at their Palm Bay facility. I met with four engineers, a manager, an HR person and a security guy. There were a mixture of technical questions and behavioral questions. None of them were particularly hard. They took me to lunch in their very nice on-site cafeteria.

Interview Questions

• What is the purpose of the volatile keyword in C-language?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Harris.

Interview

On campus recruitment and next day interview. The on campus interview took 30 minutes and involved 8 technical OO programming questions. Recruiter was very nice and mentioned I woudl hear back within the next few weeks to a month.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The process took a total of approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes. This consists of 30 minutes for each of the HR Manager and two software engineers. They were very welcoming and tell you a history of their company before the actual interview.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about Linux, and a basic coding problem that involves a arithmetic and a single for loop. Other than that, you'd get asked about projects on your resume and how you have worked with a team in the past.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Melbourne, FL) in November 2016.

Interview

Met a manager at a conference and he asked if I would like to interview, of course I said yes. It was an excellent interview at the conference, and then I was asked to come to their headquarters in Melbourne, FL, which I did. I liked that the company did a specific hiring event that they geared towards women engineers.

Interview Questions

• Can you talk about polymorphism and how it relates of OOP?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Clifton, NJ).

Interview

The interview process was pretty smooth. I went in for a full day, which included a tour of the facilities, lunch, and 3 interviews. Most of the interviews were behavioral with some emphasis on technical Object Oriented Programming experience. They were mostly concerned with my previous research projects.

Generally speaking the interview process was very positive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Bay, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Palm Bay, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

Interview starts off with security, followed by two engineers for one hour, than another pair of engineers the second hour. Lunch with another engineer, they say its not part of the interview process, but I have been around long enough to know the game is always on. The lunch time conversation is informal, but you are being evaluated. Next interviewer, after lunch, is the engineering manager, in most companies this would be a director (she had 120 engineers under her). Final is an interview with HR, who will not tell you anything, because that's what HR does (they do not want a lawsuit).

Now for my opinion.

I am a seasoned engineer, working in defense for 15 years or so. This is the second in person interview I have done with Harris in 5 years, both times were negative experiences. On the flight back I realized they had not asked me one single engineering question, nor had they adequately explained what their products are, or even a high level view of what they even do at that site. I decided I wouldn't take an offer from them, even for more money for the following reasons:

- Computer Science snobbery, yes, if you are an engineer that can write C++ code (03,11 or 14) they will not ask you anything about that, instead they are fixated on simple c problems. I was handed on the spot coding questions, from a snarky kid, trying to see if you will get it wrong.

- No discussion or questions about process (Agile, SCRUM etc)

- Constant behavioral questions, probably 50%, written by some HR specialist (i.e. How would you handle a difficult co worker)

- Not ONE single engineering question, I am a EE, nothing asked of me related to engineering, which I thought was strange.

- Snide comments about being more hardware oriented, excuse me. "Embedded Software Engineer" means you are close to the hardware. If you really want to write software for Harris, strip out any hardware references in your resume, they have strict dividing line between hardware and software, I wasn't impressed with them, they do not seem to want well rounded engineers.

- They act more like a commercial company than a defense contractor

- What the hell do they work on? Some idea of the product or environment the code will be developed for would be nice. How about some slides showing what you do, I had no clue when I left. As I said earlier, on the flight back I made up my mind I wouldn't take an offer from a company where there is zero certainty of what or how they do things.

- Three of the 'software engineers' were considered 'Chief Software Engineers', they were around the age of 30, one was out of college only a few years. I don't know about you, but I want to work with seasoned engineers, not a bunch of kids. The director was young also, seemed to busy, and made sure to brag about her constant contact with executives.

My advice, if you are over 40, and want a mature environment were you can grow, look somewhere else.

Interview Questions

• Stupid behavioral questions. A few ridiculous corner case c style programming questions. Hardly any OOP or RTOS type questions, very little on STL or Boost, C++11,14 modern C++ methods.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harris (Rochester, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview then in-person interview with entire team a month or two later. It wasn't that clear what the job was. Make sure you understand the job. Also, the team didn't make it clear that they don't help each other out at all with projects. This was a normal part of my old job. They didn't ask any skills questions.

Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harris (Herndon, VA) in June 2016.

Interview

Spoke with different people on the team about the company also talked about previous employment and past projects. Also talked about the kind of work I will do if hired.