Harte Hanks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 10, 2017

2.3

Software Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX).

Interview

I received a non-personalized e-mail via Indeed. I thought it was an agency recruiter because of how uninformative and generic it was. As it turns out, it was one of the on-site recruiters at Harte Hanks. The way I was contacted should've presented alarm to me initially.

I was between jobs due to a layoff and wanted something to hold me over for a while until I got back on my feet. I had heard that Harte Hanks provides opportunities for advancement, and that they had an extensive Training team (I am a trainer myself). My goal was to join them at the ground level and possibly work my way into the Senior training team in time. The e-mail told me that I would be a virtual software trainer, so I thought that it would be a neat new direction.

I replied to the e-mail and was again given a canned response telling me to come in for a job fair the following week. As I was not currently working I was able to make the arrangement, though I was surprised that they wanted me to just come to a job fair rather than contact me or arrange for a one-on-one. I never actually heard from the recruiter.

I got there at about 2pm, and was greeted by a woman from the recruiting team. She asked me "Fed Ex or <unintelligible>"? (she had a mouthful of food when she was speaking to me so I didn't understand). I said that I was invited to a job fair here for software training. She replied "So then Fed Ex. Sign in here." When she saw me write my name down, she practically jumped straight up. "Oh, you're MY candidate! Thanks for coming!" I took it that this was the recruiter who had contacted me.

Her attitude improved tremendously at that point, and she sat with me very briefly to describe the job. She said I would be giving virtual training presentations to Fed Ex. It sounded pretty interesting. However, the rest of the process was frustrating.

She took me to a run-down looking room off the main lobby where I was put in front of a computer to do a test. I thought it would be one of those quick personality tests, but it wound up being a 40+ minute, extensive examination. I had no clue I was going to be subjected to this. The monitor (who I believe was one of the recruiters as well) was nice enough and informative. When I got stuck because of an odd data entry glitch he helped me through it, and when I was done he walked me back up.

So, now an hour already gone, I sat and waited in the lobby with about 7 other people for a further 90 minutes. The woman continued to stay up there and eat, and not interact with anyone. When I was retrieved by the hiring manager, after nearly 3 hours of being at Harte Hanks, we went in for an interview.

The interview was extensive, lots of "by the book" scripted questions, but the guy was pleasant to talk to and broke into candid conversation about my abilities. As it turns out, I was way overqualified...way, way WAY overqualified for the position. This was not a software trainer role, it was basically an outbound customer service role that would have me walking Fed Ex customers through the Fed Ex software suite to help them ship packages. Not at all what was described (albeit vaguely) to me initially. I asked him if there was advancement opportunity, as I was already a corporate trainer. He told me that it was an entirely different role and department, and that there may be merit increases yearly to a max of $14/hr with bonus. I typically make 80K on average.

I asked to cut the interview short and left very frustrated, with over 3 hours of my time wasted. The job was not properly conveyed to me by the recruiter, the initial contact to get me to come in (also by the recruiter) was vague and unprofessional, and the entire process was boring and unnecessarily long-winded.

I'm sorry to say that I wouldn't recommend Harte Hanks based on the poor communication alone.

Interview Questions

• I was asked a variety of questions pertaining to customer support and phone etiquette.   Answer Question

Job scope was not properly conveyed to me - it seems as though the recruiter did not even look at my resume but probably just did a keyword search ("software" and "trainer" appear frequently in my resume). The pay was far too low for me - I would be taking a 70% pay cut. I was unemployed at the time but not willing to take a job that was below my current level for that kind of hourly rate.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks in May 2016.

Interview

Submitted my resume for the open position and received an email from the internal recruiter the following week. Had a phone interview with the recruiter the following week and she promptly followed up to schedule a phone interview with the hiring VP.

A few days before the call the recruiter sent me an email saying that the VP had a conflict and needed to reschedule. We then scheduled the VP phone interview for the following week. A few days before the call, the the recruiter sent me an email saying that the VP had a conflict and needed to reschedule. This went on for three weeks in a row and I finally told them I was no longer interested in the role.

Although Harte Hanks has a negative industry reputation, I gave them the benefit of doubt and they proved just how bad they are at attracting quality talent. The recruiter was very nice and apologetic, but the rescheduling experience was in excusable, especially when you're trying to attract VP level Fortune 500 talent.

Head of Contact Center Training Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harte Hanks in March 2016.

Interview

The process was very frustrating due to complete lack of communication and respect. Original interview set up through a headhunter never came through. Second interview with internal recruiter also did not happen, supposedly due to her thinking it was for the following day, even after she confirmed the day of the week, date and time. I took time off to be available for the confirmed date and time. When the recruiter never called, I emailed and called her to no avail. I followed up multiple times via email and voicemail with no return calls.

I finally got a response a week later, only after I had reached out through another site to a higher up to follow up on my interview.

When I did finally get an interview that went through, I was told the position needed a relocation. This was despite being told previously this could be a remote position.

Overall a very poor experience for a potential candidate.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in March 2016.

Interview

Through process is longer than usual. However, they do inform you over and over again about the job requirements. You will have to complete the application and test at home prior to the interview to save time. When you get there, after the regular interview, they will let you wire jack with one employee on site. If you feel comfortable with the job, they will hire you.

Interview Questions

• Description one occasion when the customer was unreasonable and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Feasterville Trevose, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Feasterville Trevose, PA) in November 2015.

Interview

Series of 3 rounds of interviews in one day. Interviewed by 2 staff members during each round. Each round was about 30-40 minutes. They are confused as to whether they want a Business Analyst or Programmer. Perhaps they want one person to fulfill both roles!

Interview Questions

• Questions were primarily about technical skills. More interested in having candidate recite relational database theory than assessing the candidate's business analysis or systems analysis skills or experience.   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harte Hanks.

Interview

Interview consisted of questions regarding my the expectations of my in the the position. No real interest in my experience, my skills or how I would be a good fit for the role.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Walked in the door during one of their regular hiring events with a standard form filled out. I was interviewed briefly, approved, and then filled out all the legally required documents at a later date. You have to walk in to a urine testing facility to get the screening done on your own time within a few day's window.

Interview Questions

• My interviewer was mainly concerned with making sure I knew how to operate a computer and that I had an a nice personality. Making a personal connection seemed more important than the skill set. As long as you have previous experience to substantiate what you claim your skill level to be, it isn't likely to come under scrutiny.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

I applied on indeed.com, received a call the next day from a recruiting agency, went in for the interview the next day, was offered a position on the spot, had three weeks of training. The interview was relatively easy, and the training was as good as you made it. If you go into the room half-listening, you will fail; but they grind the materials into your brain and will work with you if you're not getting it right away. Very fun and light people end up as trainers apparently. It was the most pleasant training, I can confidently say, i have ever experienced.

Interview Questions

• What were your duties in your last position? How well do you work with others? What is your greatest strength/weakness? How would you ensure you provide excellent customer service? How would you deescalate an irate or frustrated customer? Why did you leave your last position?   Answer Question

Technical Support Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Langhorne, PA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Langhorne, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

It was very decisive on what type of company they are and what type of expectations they have for am team player.They explained chances for growth. I was given an background about the company and the different clients they vouch for.

Interview Questions

• Do you see yourself becoming an asset to our company?   1 Answer

BA Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harte Hanks (Austin, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Phone interview about your skills then a case study is given for you to give a detailed analysis of the case and highlight the undrlying causes that bring in the affects.