Harvard University Interview Questions in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

Updated May 14, 2017

2.8

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an email a few days after I applied for the position for a telephone interview that week. I happily agreed to the suggested time and prepared for the interview. As soon as the call began, I could tell not only that this was a very broad, boiler plate phone screen (the type you would have when starting work with a staffing agency) but also that the description of the job was much more glorified that the actual position. It seems that the only thing that the coordinators do at Harvard is coordinate administrative support. It was clear the interviewer hadn't read my resume-at all-since she asked me why I wanted to move into this specific field and I replied that I had been working in that field for a decade so it wasn't exactly a move for me. This raised yet another red flag for me, if she knew this was an entry level admin support role, I'm not sure why they wasted their time and mine knowing I had a decade of experience. I had the Harvard job grades and salary estimations chart in front of me that I had printed off the website. When she asked my salary requirements, confident with my qualifications and skills (and also knowing what I deserve to make), I said I number and she audibly scoffed. She said they would only be prepared to offer me $25,000 less than the number that I mentioned. I said that was surprising given the pay scales that were listed on their site, in fact, the number she mentioned was even lower than the minimum for an entry level position and she said there was no room for negotiations. I had read other reviews that mentioned negotiating was discouraged but I didn't think it would happen at the very first stage. It was also frustrating to have a clearly junior recruiter ask repetitive questions, giving the impression that she hadn't read my resume and wasn't even listening to my responses (asking questions I already provided answers to, I must have said "As I mentioned earlier" no less than 8 times in a 37 minute call).

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions...not even a resume review. Sounded like she was checking off a list without even registering responses   1 Answer

Comptroller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I did a telephone interview with HR then an in person interview. The in person interview was 45 minutes with the direct supervisor CFO and 45 minutes with a peer. The interview took place in a conference room. Probably would have been better to interview with both at the same time. I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to say no and explain how you did it   1 Answer

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Depending on the department the interview process can take a long time. In my case I was contacted about the job at the end of November and did not complete the process until the second week of January. But it was worth it, and everyone I met was friendly. Typically you speak with a hiring manager or hr person on the phone first for vetting. Then you receive an email inviting you for an interview, or call. In my first interview I met with the hiring manager and then the person I would be reporting to. In my second interview I met with some of the dept. heads and other personnel I would be working with. I met 5 people plus the hiring manager. Heads up..if you have visible tattoos, cover them. Even if they are small.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a situation where you had to handle working with a difficult personality
      How do you organize yourself when you have multiple projects going on
      What is a strength and a weakness
      Why are you interested in this position
      1 Answer

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Employee referral to an email and then phone interview. It was not a difficult process whatsoever and it has been a great privilege to work here. Apply if you can! I highly recommend it.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I came across the opening for an accountant on Glassdoor. Follow the instructions and applied via Harvard Aspire on July 18th. HR representative contacted me email in late July, and we set up a time for a phone interview. First in person interview was scheduled a week after with the manager and the associate director. I received a call to set up the second interview with the team. About a week or so later the third interview was set up with the director of the department and the human resource manager.

During these interviews, they asked questions to know your technical skills, personality skills how you would handle stress, and your what interest you to apply for the position.

After the interviews I was contacted (within two weeks) to submit 5 references. Three of them has to be previous supervisors or managers. After the reference check they made a conditional offer and they conducted an extensive brackground check. A week or so later I received the call confirming the offer and discussed the start date. Even though the interviews happened one after another within a week's time the whole process took about 2 months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The offer matched what I requested at the first telephone interview.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

It was about an hour long. Very casual, went over my resume. I was interviewed by 2 associates. They wanted someone who has a lot of experience in Excel. Took about a month to get back to me to let me know they were pursuing other candidates. Wish I knew that was going to happen,

SAS Programmer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA).

Interview

From the first phone (recruiter) interview to offer it took 6 months - no exaggeration. Typical get to know your technical background and provide proof of technical ability. Not only do colleges hire slowly, but this was excessive. First phone interview is not technical it is more about key words (skills) and personality. Next interview is on phone with hiring manager, not many technical questions, more about trying to understand the type of person you are and sniff out any BS. Third is an all day group and 1-1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• If table A has CUSTOMER_ID, AGE, GENDER and table b has CUSTOMER_ID, ORDER_TOTAL,ORDER_NM | How would you find the sum of ORDER_TOTALs for both men and women?   1 Answer

Systems and Applications Business Analyst, Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was directed to a meeting room prior to my arrival. No one was waiting for me and I had to contact the recruiter to let them know I had arrived. I wasn't asked any real technical questions and was unsure as to what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• They really didn't ask me direct questions, more of leading me to speak about myself.   1 Answer

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Was first told is was over the phone, but was later changed to in person. Interview was done in a conference room. The manager interviewing me was very pleasant and easy to talk to. She was very understanding of my lateness due to trouble on the train. The interview went very well, however she seemed a bit rushed at the end and almost hurried the farewell and thank you.