Harvard University Coordinator Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 5, 2017

2.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an email a few days after I applied for the position for a telephone interview that week. I happily agreed to the suggested time and prepared for the interview. As soon as the call began, I could tell not only that this was a very broad, boiler plate phone screen (the type you would have when starting work with a staffing agency) but also that the description of the job was much more glorified that the actual position. It seems that the only thing that the coordinators do at Harvard is coordinate administrative support. It was clear the interviewer hadn't read my resume-at all-since she asked me why I wanted to move into this specific field and I replied that I had been working in that field for a decade so it wasn't exactly a move for me. This raised yet another red flag for me, if she knew this was an entry level admin support role, I'm not sure why they wasted their time and mine knowing I had a decade of experience. I had the Harvard job grades and salary estimations chart in front of me that I had printed off the website. When she asked my salary requirements, confident with my qualifications and skills (and also knowing what I deserve to make), I said I number and she audibly scoffed. She said they would only be prepared to offer me $25,000 less than the number that I mentioned. I said that was surprising given the pay scales that were listed on their site, in fact, the number she mentioned was even lower than the minimum for an entry level position and she said there was no room for negotiations. I had read other reviews that mentioned negotiating was discouraged but I didn't think it would happen at the very first stage. It was also frustrating to have a clearly junior recruiter ask repetitive questions, giving the impression that she hadn't read my resume and wasn't even listening to my responses (asking questions I already provided answers to, I must have said "As I mentioned earlier" no less than 8 times in a 37 minute call).

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions...not even a resume review. Sounded like she was checking off a list without even registering responses   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted a month or so after applying online. Had a phone screen, 1st and 2nd interviews. They asked for references at the 2nd interview (but never called them as they went with another candidate) and also asked me to take a writing test. This all happened within 3 weeks. Then I didn't hear a word for almost 3 weeks... finally decided to email manager. She replied within a day saying they offered the position to someone else. My only beef (other than not being hired) was the length of time between final interview and notification. If you are not choosing me, let me know sooner.

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

So I interviewed for 2 different Coordinator positions. I did not get the first one, but then I got the 2nd position years down the line. Be prepared to possibly be interviewed by people do not necessarily know how to interview. In order to try to see if someone is a good "fit" for the org, it is not uncommon to have the entire dept. in a meeting room with an applicant to just basically meet you and not even really engage/interact with you.

Interview Questions

• Standard ones seem to apply, your greatest weakness, experiential ones.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in November 2008.

Interview

Harvard is known for a lengthy interview process. If you make it past interview one, then you know you're probably in. They also do background searches so if you have a record, try someone else.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember a really difficult question but I do know that the job I interviewed for is not the job I've been doing.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I negotiated for a higher salary because they will start at the very bottom of the range.

Coordinator Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in January 2010.

Interview

I interviewed with 3 of the senior managers I would be working with, for half an hour each. They each asked different questions, but they were pretty basic. Nothing behavioral or anything. The actual HR person was incredibly useless and slow, I had to follow up several times.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was zilch! It's hard when the salary ranges are publicly posted on their Web site. I asked the HR person for the highest cap and she offered the minimum salary.