Harvard University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2017

74 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Pre-interview written assignment (sample tasks related to the job), two phone interviews and then a reference check. Standard interview questions and process, but very little small talk, ice breaker conversation at the beginning, which made it a little more stressful than necessary.

Special Assistant Interview

Interview

First, I interviewed with the director of Human Resources for about forty five minutes and then for the next forty five minutes I interviewed with the member of the dean's office that would be directly supervising me in the position.

Events Coordinator In Alumni Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

Awful process, they waste your time calling you in for a two hour interview, tests included, and then never get back to you even when they say they will. So terrible and so inconsiderate.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Harvard Aspire end of April. Received a phone call from HR asking the basics. Then I received another phone call from HR to set up a call with the Graduate School of Education HR. From there I was invited to come in for an in person interview. I met with HR from GSE first, then Assistant Director of Programming, and then 2 Program Assistants, a Program Coordinator, and a someone from Marketing. In person interviews were all in the same day - about 2.5 hours. They all asked the same questions. Was told I would hear back about a decision in 2 weeks since they had an interview scheduled the following week. The deadline to hear back passed and I heard nothing. Gave them 2 extra days. Still nothing. Finally emailed following up. Received an email the next day saying I was no longer in consideration.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an email a few days after I applied for the position for a telephone interview that week. I happily agreed to the suggested time and prepared for the interview. As soon as the call began, I could tell not only that this was a very broad, boiler plate phone screen (the type you would have when starting work with a staffing agency) but also that the description of the job was much more glorified that the actual position. It seems that the only thing that the coordinators do at Harvard is coordinate administrative support. It was clear the interviewer hadn't read my resume-at all-since she asked me why I wanted to move into this specific field and I replied that I had been working in that field for a decade so it wasn't exactly a move for me. This raised yet another red flag for me, if she knew this was an entry level admin support role, I'm not sure why they wasted their time and mine knowing I had a decade of experience. I had the Harvard job grades and salary estimations chart in front of me that I had printed off the website. When she asked my salary requirements, confident with my qualifications and skills (and also knowing what I deserve to make), I said I number and she audibly scoffed. She said they would only be prepared to offer me $25,000 less than the number that I mentioned. I said that was surprising given the pay scales that were listed on their site, in fact, the number she mentioned was even lower than the minimum for an entry level position and she said there was no room for negotiations. I had read other reviews that mentioned negotiating was discouraged but I didn't think it would happen at the very first stage. It was also frustrating to have a clearly junior recruiter ask repetitive questions, giving the impression that she hadn't read my resume and wasn't even listening to my responses (asking questions I already provided answers to, I must have said "As I mentioned earlier" no less than 8 times in a 37 minute call).

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions...not even a resume review. Sounded like she was checking off a list without even registering responses   1 Answer

Comptroller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I did a telephone interview with HR then an in person interview. The in person interview was 45 minutes with the direct supervisor CFO and 45 minutes with a peer. The interview took place in a conference room. Probably would have been better to interview with both at the same time. I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to say no and explain how you did it   1 Answer

Research Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in February 2017.

Interview

30 min phone interview. Standard questions regarding technical abilities and prior experience as well as some about topics related to the position. Done over the phone. Was a human resources person screening to determine whether qualifications warranted an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the top three skills needed to be an effective communicator?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University in January 2017.

Interview

Was rescheduled because the interviewer was too busy, then at the exact moment my interview was scheduled for the second time, I received an email that they were no longer interviewing new candidates for the position.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!

IRB Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online and they asked me to interview. Problems started when they (after I filled out the online application) sent me a scan of an old employment application and told me to fill it out. It was done by hand- they didn't have a fillable pdf and were annoyed that I asked.
    To prepare for the interview, I asked if they had any specific projects/research focus that I could study. They never answered.
    They started the interview fashionably late and their questions revealed that they have never read my resume. Although they promised to get in touch within a week, they never did. Call to HR went unanswered. I sent them a second follow up letter & they caughed up an automated rejection letter.