Harvard University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.8

Interview

Contact with the PI by Emails first and then they may give you phone calls, Maybe on site also. Well prepared will help a lot. Get more information from online research

Interview Questions

• Your previous research, current interest, future career development   Answer Question

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online via Harvard Aspire end of April. Received a phone call from HR asking the basics. Then I received another phone call from HR to set up a call with the Graduate School of Education HR. From there I was invited to come in for an in person interview. I met with HR from GSE first, then Assistant Director of Programming, and then 2 Program Assistants, a Program Coordinator, and a someone from Marketing. In person interviews were all in the same day - about 2.5 hours. They all asked the same questions. Was told I would hear back about a decision in 2 weeks since they had an interview scheduled the following week. The deadline to hear back passed and I heard nothing. Gave them 2 extra days. Still nothing. Finally emailed following up. Received an email the next day saying I was no longer in consideration.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I got an email a few days after I applied for the position for a telephone interview that week. I happily agreed to the suggested time and prepared for the interview. As soon as the call began, I could tell not only that this was a very broad, boiler plate phone screen (the type you would have when starting work with a staffing agency) but also that the description of the job was much more glorified that the actual position. It seems that the only thing that the coordinators do at Harvard is coordinate administrative support. It was clear the interviewer hadn't read my resume-at all-since she asked me why I wanted to move into this specific field and I replied that I had been working in that field for a decade so it wasn't exactly a move for me. This raised yet another red flag for me, if she knew this was an entry level admin support role, I'm not sure why they wasted their time and mine knowing I had a decade of experience. I had the Harvard job grades and salary estimations chart in front of me that I had printed off the website. When she asked my salary requirements, confident with my qualifications and skills (and also knowing what I deserve to make), I said I number and she audibly scoffed. She said they would only be prepared to offer me $25,000 less than the number that I mentioned. I said that was surprising given the pay scales that were listed on their site, in fact, the number she mentioned was even lower than the minimum for an entry level position and she said there was no room for negotiations. I had read other reviews that mentioned negotiating was discouraged but I didn't think it would happen at the very first stage. It was also frustrating to have a clearly junior recruiter ask repetitive questions, giving the impression that she hadn't read my resume and wasn't even listening to my responses (asking questions I already provided answers to, I must have said "As I mentioned earlier" no less than 8 times in a 37 minute call).

Interview Questions

• No unexpected questions...not even a resume review. Sounded like she was checking off a list without even registering responses   1 Answer

Faculty Assistant Interview

Interview

I got to interview with both the Faculty Assistant Program Manager and a couple of faculty members, but I know sometimes you only get to interview with the FA manager, and you don't know which faculty members you will be working with. It was a fairly standard interview process.

Comptroller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I did a telephone interview with HR then an in person interview. The in person interview was 45 minutes with the direct supervisor CFO and 45 minutes with a peer. The interview took place in a conference room. Probably would have been better to interview with both at the same time. I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to say no and explain how you did it   1 Answer

Fundraising Manager Interview

Interview

I met with dean, colleagues, senior management; the process in my case did not take long because I already knew many of the parties, but later as a manager I found the hiting process took a very long time in many cases.

Interview Questions

• Isn't a law degree necessary for your position?   1 Answer

Research Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in February 2017.

Interview

30 min phone interview. Standard questions regarding technical abilities and prior experience as well as some about topics related to the position. Done over the phone. Was a human resources person screening to determine whether qualifications warranted an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the top three skills needed to be an effective communicator?   Answer Question

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Depending on the department the interview process can take a long time. In my case I was contacted about the job at the end of November and did not complete the process until the second week of January. But it was worth it, and everyone I met was friendly. Typically you speak with a hiring manager or hr person on the phone first for vetting. Then you receive an email inviting you for an interview, or call. In my first interview I met with the hiring manager and then the person I would be reporting to. In my second interview I met with some of the dept. heads and other personnel I would be working with. I met 5 people plus the hiring manager. Heads up..if you have visible tattoos, cover them. Even if they are small.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a situation where you had to handle working with a difficult personality
      How do you organize yourself when you have multiple projects going on
      What is a strength and a weakness
      Why are you interested in this position
      1 Answer

Staff Assistant, Harvard College Fund Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University in January 2017.

Interview

Was rescheduled because the interviewer was too busy, then at the exact moment my interview was scheduled for the second time, I received an email that they were no longer interviewing new candidates for the position.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!Enjoy it, Such a good experience! There are 4 People in the group. They are all nice to talk to me and make me feel good!