Harvard University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 12, 2017

2.8

Senior Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harvard University (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Applied through recruiter to get job in hiring management, surveying several several thousand kids every day for the last twenty days. They explained the rold and then ansed me questions about how I thought I should answer and how good job I would do. And then I coudln't get a job and then they offered me the best salary every but then I couldn't do it.

PhD Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in June 2012.

Interview

the recommendations you receive are the most important piece of evidence they can have to hire you. So make sure those are good. it helps to come from a top university in the states. and have good grades. If you can bring an expensive piece of suit to the interview and offer to give it to them if they let you in. That usually works

Interview Questions

• Tell me about how you see your research?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed.

Staff Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in October 2014.

Interview

It is way too confusing the way that Harvard runs its HR to coordinate all of the interview processes. Be prepared to interact and communicate with a minimum of 10+ people per every position you interview for at Harvard. It is one thing to have a candidate professionally meet other members of the team they would be working with, but it is another to have candidates sit down with nearly every team member, when the majority of team members do not have enough substantial experience conducting interviews.
    It seems contradictory that Harvard is so stern about its HR/screening interview process, yet when it comes time to interview rounds, the University has no qualms about throwing candidates in to interview sessions with quasi-important team members that ask ridiculous questions because they are not yet well-seasoned enough to know how to conduct an interview in a light that best represents the University.
    There seems to be a huge lapse in the interview process at Harvard. The first phone interview was conducted with an HR rep over the phone, the initial phone screening (this applies to any job) is really just about verifying if the candidate sounds like an educated, respectable person. At Harvard, the issue arrives during the in-person interviews. The first meeting is segregated to meet 1 on 1 with several different people. After the first session, the next time Harvard has you in it will be to meet with other members of the team- be prepared for a variety of meetings during the second round as you may meet 1 on 1 and then 2 on 1, etc. The issue in this specific department is that all of the members are not qualified to conduct interviews. The style of every interview with this (rather small) team was inconsistent and it gave me a red flag- it felt like the team has low energy and that there is no cohesive personae to this team. I felt a huge shift in personality, interests, and experience from person to person. The sense of humor was lacking in some and present with others. Some of the interviewers for this position were gracious, others were distant, some followed up in emails, some ignored them, and some even acted like I was about to get hired, then shifty answers with HR followed next, and some shifty moves by HR/the hiring manager quickly let me know that the position was going to be given to the other candidate.
    Total bag of mixed messages, ups and downs, and dragging along for well over a month. For about two solid weeks I was lead to believe that I was going to be offered the position and then all of a sudden I got a very rude vibe from the people that I was been dealing with. It is HR on Hiring Managers on Chaos. Also, last note- their "reference" background check is literally the most impersonal process in existence. They ask for reference information and they send your references an email from a "do not reply" address. In the body of the email, the third party (the company that conducts the electronic reference checks) drafts the emails for you and sends it out to five professional references that you provide Harvard with. Case in point, Harvard- if you are going to do reference checks, have the decency to make HR pick up the phone. Seriously, get rid of this third party reference check computer system. I value the relationships that I have with my references and did not appreciate the HR banging out automated emails asking all of my references to conduct a survey. Sneaky language in the email too! Harvard, pick up the phone and call references. This is so inefficient, impersonal, fake, worthless, useless. What does this third party system remotely provide you with? I find it implausible to see how you gather useful, candid, meaningful information about candidates by dealing with references this way. It seems like a lazy HR move. Make your HR employees have actual conversations, this is not remotely professional!

Interview Questions

• I literally was asked by a staff member "What is your favorite color?" as well as "What can you tell us about yourself that we can't tell by looking at you?" My answer to the first question about my favorite color was "White" because when sunlight passes through a spectrum the white light represents all colors, therefore by having white as my favorite color, it actually makes all colors my favorite color. I got a blank stare and then was asked by the two (very young) interviewer some other questions that were completely irrelevant. It was clear they were just asking the first things that came to mind. It felt like they were trying to make me feel like an idiot. These two interviewers seemed lethargic, burnt out, dry, and snobby, it was draining to be in the room with them. A word of advice would be to get rid of the aloof, empty presence and adapt a more warm, gracious manner that is full of class like the rest of the university.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Harvard University in December 2010.

Interview

An HR person contacted me about six weeks after I applied and asked me to come in for interviews on the day I was scheduled to leave for a 10-day vacation. She said they were in a rush to fill the position and didn't want to wait until I got back, so I postponed my departure time by several hours to do a round of interviews.

I was told to ask for Ms. So-and-So, who would coordinate my visit. So I did that when I arrived at the building. The receptionist had never heard of Ms. So-and-So, and there was no record of her in the system. The receptionist called a couple of other people looking for Ms. So-and-So--no luck there, either. Finally, the receptionist contacted one of the execs scheduled to interview me, and that person came to the lobby to fetch me.

I interviewed with about six people and thought the interviews went well. Then: Nothing for about two months. Ultimately, they hired someone else. A few months later, I saw what appeared to be the same job posted again. It turned out to be a new (additional) position, so I had to apply again from scratch. Again, I was asked to come in for interviews immediately because they wanted to "move very quickly" in filling this position (the estimate was 2-3 weeks).

This time, I received a schedule saying that I would meet first an HR person in one building, who would then "walk" me to the rest of the interviews in another building nearly a mile away. The interview happened to fall on a bitterly cold winter day and I wasn't keen on walking across campus on icy pavement in a suit and dress shoes, but I figured I'd do so if necessary.

However, after our 10-minute interview, the HR person said she was unaware that she was supposed to "walk" me anywhere--in fact, she couldn't even tell me how to get to the other building and seemed annoyed that I expected her to do so (remember, I was following the instructions that an admin had sent me). I had parked a few blocks away in the wrong direction and I was worried about being late, so I called a cab.

I arrived on time and interviewed this time with about 10 people. The interviews went well. Then nothing for about four months (and, yes, I was checking regularly). Then I heard the job was on hold due to budgets or something, and at that point, I quietly gave up on it. Several months after that (fully eight months after those "we-want-to-move-quickly" interviews), I got a form letter saying that the job had been filled.

I don't mind not getting the job as much as the chaos and confusion around the interview process, which was, at best, disorganized and, at worst, bordering on rude. I realize the whole university probably doesn't run like that, and I would happily consider jobs with other departments in this great organization--just not this particular department.

My advice: Be sure your contact person is a real person reachable by e-mail or phone (I'm guessing I was dealing with a temp or contract recruiter the first time and that's why no one could find her). If something doesn't seem to make sense, ask (I'm guessing that the separate-buildings thing came up because too many people were involved in the scheduling). ate-buildings thing).

Interview Questions

• This job requires a lot of diplomacy. Tell me about a time that you successfully handled a problem or conflict.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

The individuals I met with at Harvard were pleasant enough, and in fact asked good questions, were fair and made the interview mostly enjoyable, not that I was expecting that. I met with 3 individuals for approx. 30 min each. The last interviewer was the person I would work most closely with, if I were to be offered a position. It became clear, that though this was a new position, the 3rd interviewer was passing off all the activities she did not like to the new position. Though I was warned at the beginning of the 3rd interview that I would be given a "quiz" to test my accounting skills, I certainly wasn't looking forward to this and it affected the quality of my interview. So, at the end I was given the quiz which was supposed to take 10 min. It ended up taking more than 20 min. Here is my problem: I was interviewing for a Director of Finance position, that surely had some accounting skills related to it but were not referred to in the job description. In fact, I was surprised that Harvard had the gall to pull this shenanigan for a Director level position. Nonetheless, I bombed this "quiz" and wasn't offered a follow up interview. While, I would apply for future positions at Harvard, I am glad that this particular position didn't work out considering the quality of the interview at the end, and their "screening" process.

Dining Services Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in September 2009.

Interview

First Interview:

I was contacted for a phone interview by an HR rep and then scheduled for a panel interview consisting of 3 department heads and 1 unit manager. Each person took a turn asking me questions as the others looked on and took notes. Interviewees: Prepare for this interview! At times this interview felt more like an interrogation. Be prepared to defend everything in your cover letter and resume (which is to be expected anywhere) and have your "Tell me about yourself" pitch ready, as well as "Why did you choose Harvard and this occupation. Expect lots of follow up questions to your answers. The interviewers were professional, BUT don't expect this to be a comfortable interview ...you will be constantly challenged.

Second Interview:

After feeling pretty beat up from the first interview, I was shocked I got the call to come back to spend half a day shadowing a manager on the job, for the second "interview". This was a great experience and an idea that more companies should put into practice. I "observed and followed" from 10 am to 2 pm in a dining hall, was introduced to the entire staff and had a brief interview before I left with the unit manager that I was with. This was a much more comfortable experience for me than the panel interview and I enjoyed seeing the operation and my prospective co-workers in action.

Drawback to Interviewing or Working at Harvard:

There is NO place on campus to park! I paid $25 to park in a garage for the first interview, and had to pay $6.00 for 2 hours of time (maximum time the meter would allow), PLUS a $7.00 taxi fare (with tip), PLUS a $35.00 parking ticket (when my 2 hour garage sticker expired). This was an expensive day!! If you are considering Harvard employment research alternative transportation, car pooling OR be prepared to spend big bucks each day to park. I was not offered the position, so I never had to face this problem beyond my 2 interview days.

Events Coordinator In Alumni Office Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in June 2017.

Interview

Awful process, they waste your time calling you in for a two hour interview, tests included, and then never get back to you even when they say they will. So terrible and so inconsiderate.

Research Associate Interview

Interview

Pre-interview written assignment (sample tasks related to the job), two phone interviews and then a reference check. Standard interview questions and process, but very little small talk, ice breaker conversation at the beginning, which made it a little more stressful than necessary.

Special Assistant Interview

Interview

First, I interviewed with the director of Human Resources for about forty five minutes and then for the next forty five minutes I interviewed with the member of the dean's office that would be directly supervising me in the position.

Systems and Applications Business Analyst, Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was directed to a meeting room prior to my arrival. No one was waiting for me and I had to contact the recruiter to let them know I had arrived. I wasn't asked any real technical questions and was unsure as to what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• They really didn't ask me direct questions, more of leading me to speak about myself.   1 Answer