Harvard University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2017

2.8

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied for job online. I was emailed about the interview. Telephonic and Skype interview were conducted. Interview was highly professional and all questions were strictly work related. I was really comfortable with the interview process.

Media Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter, who set up a phone interview. I had a phone interview with the recruiter, and then was brought in for an in person interview two weeks later. Spent an hour and a half at the in person interview. Waited 3 weeks, and then they set up the second in person interview. That interview was a half hour. I didn't hear back for three weeks, and then got a form e-mail, saying I wasn't hired. I would have appreciated hearing back from the actual people who interviewed me. Considering how long the process was (2.5 months), you'd think they would have the courtesy to personally inform me that I didn't receive the position.

Interview Questions

• What are your weaknesses?   1 Answer
    • How do you handle working with difficult or demanding personalities?   Answer Question

Harvard Summer School Proctor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

One-on-one. Interviewer asked about my reaction as a proctor would be in different hypothetical scenarios. Very nice, got back to me later. Advice - read that sheet they hand out about summer school values.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you do if there was a party in a your floor, other students can't study, so you knock and ask them to quiet down and they don't.   Answer Question

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in January 2017.

Interview

HR conducted a phone screening interview, which was followed up 2 weeks later with an interview with 4 team members (3 colleagues and 1 direct report). Three weeks later another 3 interviews with colleagues and hiring direct report. Whole process from application to last interviews took 2 months.

Interview Questions

• I was asked questions about supply chain contracts and strategic sourcing, working in an academic setting, etc., were the primary topics of conversation. General background questions were also asked.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly standard - a single interview with the PI and less formal discussions with postdoctoral colleagues. All questions were technical, about previous research experience and skills that would be relevant for the project.

Interview Questions

• How does the alternative complement pathway contribute to retinal neovascularization?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

I applied online through Harvard's Career site--I applied one day after the job was first posted. 23 days after I submitted my application, I was contacted by a staff member for a phone screen. That phone screen occurred three days later. The interview itself was very conversational--it seemed the staff member genuinely cared about my experience. Following the interview, she said I would hear back within 1-2 weeks. I sent a follow-up thank you email the next day. I did not hear back within 1-2 weeks so at the 3-week mark, I emailed her again. Within a few hours, she emailed back and said they were not moving forward with my candidacy. Though I obviously did not move forward, overall, the process was pleasant.

Below are the actual interview questions. In total, I was asked 14 questions (I've listed the standard, behavioral questions). The other questions (that I did not list) were very nuanced toward my own experience and education.

Interview Questions

• What caused you to react to this position?   Answer Question
    • Where are you at in your current role, why are you looking for a change?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your undergraduate experience and what led you to that   Answer Question
    • When you think about your experience, can you describe a time you really advanced the cause or supported the mission?   Answer Question
    • What do you think you do particularly well?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your overall job search?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Remote, OR

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Harvard University (Remote, OR) in July 2016.

Interview

I was interviewing with a PhD student in HBS. He sent me a data task and also asked me to conduct independent research on a given dataset. I completed both tasks in 1 week.

Interview Questions

• Basic dataset operations like sort, left join, right join.   Answer Question

Interview

It took roughly three month because of internal hold-ups. Interviewed with a recruiter over the phone, then the PI and manager and then met in person. Was asked for references two days later and was given an offer a week later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in August 2017.

Interview

I had a phone screening, then two in-person interviews with several people. The whole process took over a month I believe, but it was well worth it. They split up the interviews so I wasn't speaking to more than two people at a time, which I appreciated. I find panel interviews to be way more stressful than necessary. My first set of interviews felt a bit rushed, probably because the people interviewing me were conscious of going over into someone else's time. However, the second set was more relaxed and went over the time allotted because they wanted to provide as much information about the position as possible.

Interview Questions

• How have you dealt with users that are frustrated/stressed out?   Answer Question
    • Where do you ultimately want to be, career-wise?   Answer Question

CDL Driver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Allston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University (Allston, MA).

Interview

It's a very planned interview. Your references are checked. There a drug test as well. You meet all the staff in the department. You are trained with one of the drivers/dispatchers. You drive the vehicles in training. And fuel the vehicles as well .You check the equipment, and send the notice to the maintenance department. Always check the schedule twice during your shift. Be prepared to work different shifts. Check in on the two-way radio . Acknowled to dispatch when leaving and returning from base. Wear the uniform issued by the school. At times report for duty at least 45 minutes before your shift.

Interview Questions

• That would be commitment 100%.   1 Answer