Harvard University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.8

Course Materials Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Participated in initial phone-screening interview. The interviewer called an hour and a half ahead of the time scheduled, with was a surprise. Nonetheless, the interviewer was pleasant and friendly. I was not offered an in-person interview, unfortunately.

Systems and Applications Business Analyst, Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in August 2016.

Interview

I was directed to a meeting room prior to my arrival. No one was waiting for me and I had to contact the recruiter to let them know I had arrived. I wasn't asked any real technical questions and was unsure as to what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

• They really didn't ask me direct questions, more of leading me to speak about myself.   1 Answer

Library Assistant Interview

Interview

HR phone screen followed by a morning of in-person interviews: brief meeting with HR, meeting with hiring manager, panel interview with my prospective colleagues, and meeting with my manager's supervisor. Everyone was very friendly and enthusiastic. It took them awhile to respond with an offer. Much worse, the entire process took almost 6 months from application to my first day.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Total of 4 interviews, one over the phone, the other three in person. Long wait time in between, the entire process took about 3 months. But once they decided they want you, everything was really fast.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not willing to negotiate at all

Administrative Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in July 2016.

Interview

Straightforward questions about resume, some behavioral questions about past experience working in a team. There were also some questions about how I found out about the position, and what attracted me to apply. The people interviewing were very friendly, non-intimidating, and professional. I took some time to think before answering the questions, and they were ok with that too.

Human Resources Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in May 2016.

Interview

Was first told is was over the phone, but was later changed to in person. Interview was done in a conference room. The manager interviewing me was very pleasant and easy to talk to. She was very understanding of my lateness due to trouble on the train. The interview went very well, however she seemed a bit rushed at the end and almost hurried the farewell and thank you.

Development Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA).

Interview

I had two or three rounds of interviews. The 2nd interview included a panel interview with 3 interviewers. I was also asked to write an overview profile of a potential donor (just an example person, not an actual new profile) while I was there.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

About 2 weeks after I submitted my application online, I was contacted for a phone screen. This asked general information about my interests and how it matched the position. No behavioral questions asked but an expected salary range was requested. A couple weeks after that, the PI contacted me for a 1:1 interview to talk more about the position.

Interview Questions

• How have your research experiences and skills prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University in February 2016.

Interview

- Applied online Jan 2016
    - Received e-mail one month later to set up interview
    - 1 hour Skype interview ; asked questions and described position and left time for questions at the end
    - Skype interview with lab PI 2-3 weeks later

Overall casual and VERY friendly but because they didn’t ask any real questions, I have very little understanding of why I was not offered the position! Real, honest feedback would have been much appreciated.

Interview Questions

•  Tell me about yourself.
       Describe your master’s project.
       What do you hope to be when you grow up?
       How did you find out about us and what interested you about the position / our lab?
       Why Boston?
       What do you currently work on in lab?
      - Why this lab, why this research? What interests you?
      - What do you do outside of school/work? Hobbies or activities?
      - Asked me to provide 2+ reference letters.
      Answer Question

Interview

Graduate school applications are fairly straight forward: require GRE scores and statement of purpose, but the main focus is on the letters of recommendation. There is not typically any interview process, and if there is an interview, it's a short Skype conversation with a faculty member. Really focus on getting good letters of reference from your faculty members.

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed.