Harvard University Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard University Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions

2.8

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Applied online, there was no interview process.

Interview Questions

• There was no interview. Job was offered based on application.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Contacted research group by email. Set up a Skype interview after which requested to come on-site for interview. Gave a seminar on-site and interviewed with group members individually. Long day with meeting a lot of people. Standard academic interview. Nothing special.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to propose ideas for projects. Not unusual in academia. Had to give them some thought.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

Long day. Meet with some faculty individually and some lab members through out the day. Gave a department seminar on my research work. Afternoon was filled with more meetings and introductions to different lab members. Was shown around the lab and learned about the research focus and priorities prior to meeting with the Primary Investigator.

Interview Questions

• How did you choose your graduate projects to put into your thesis?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Standard post-doc contract.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in February 2013.

Interview

This depends on the group you will work and your PI. I had no big issues. The interview was more a chat than an interview, since I brought my own fellowship.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in January 2011.

Interview

Reference letter and a phone call interview may be all you need to do;
    but when you join the lab, you will be asked to do a presentation about your previous work.

Interview Questions

• Basically if you have a few good papers, you will get the offer.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation on salary because Harvard University is never lack of good postdocs, so you just accept it.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in October 2011.

Interview

Hiring for postdocs may formally follow some fair process that involves job postings and interviews, but in practice reputation—of the applicant, of the applicant's school, and advisor, and research--counts for a lot more. So if you're coming from a good place and you've done good work, you're in. But otherwise, it might be a struggle to get noticed.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any difficult questions--they were trying to convince me to accept the job.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University in September 2008.

Interview

1 hour presentation, followed by talking to lab members. lunch and dinner with the lab. knowing your previous work is important. knowing their work is also important, and so is looking enthusiastic.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in October 2009.

Interview

very casual. Lunch meeting with the 2 professors I was going to work with

Interview Questions

Negotiation

there is very little room for negotiation since the salary is set by NIH

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Harvard University in April 2010.

Interview

Contacted the PI directly. We hit it off immediately and I've really enjoyed working in the lab. The PI is very busy, over committed so a lot of the day to day advising falls on the postdocs. There are 6 postdocs, 5 graduate students, 2 undergrads and 2 high school students in the lab.

Negotiation

no negotiation phase

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University in April 2011.

Interview

Very friendly and professional, only one interview, but had to write a motivation letter. It look like 30 min. was asked about my current work and my future plans. No chance for salary negotiation. Later on, found Boston very expensive and salary does not match the living expenses.