Harvard University Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard University Postdoctoral Fellow Interview Questions

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in August 2013.

Interview

Face to face interview with faculty members.
Got onsite opportunity.
On the day of interview, talk with each faculty member, then present research works to large audiences, lunch with other postdocs and dinner with professors.

Interview Questions

• How could you show that your method is valid?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

You need to be focused and very passionate about the project. It may be different, and most likely will be very different than your previous work but you should be open and flexible about the change. You should be willing to collaborate with different scientist coming from different backgrounds.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about the glass and glass-ceramics that you worked with.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

First, email extremely well thought-out, brief and dense resume + previous achievemnet + research plan. + letters of reference. IF that is good enough, than be prepared to interact with the lab director (principal investigator or professor). Be knowledgeable and confident. Absolutely know all the big papers from the lab, plus 3 of the smaller ones that have had the higher impact on the lab. If you can't figure out which one those are, you probably should not apply for this job.

Interview Questions

• How would you do what we did in this Science paper, better?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in September 2014.

Interview

I did interview through skype, as I was in Japan at the time of interview, and I am not convenient to travel to US for interview. previous work presentation using PPT. all lab member gathered together, ask you questions about your work. mainly focus on the work you have done, and maybe something about how it connect to the work you want to do if you get the offer. after the presentation, you may have to chance to talk to the lab member without the PI in present. You may ask questions if you are interested.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Interview

Long day. Meet with some faculty individually and some lab members through out the day. Gave a department seminar on my research work. Afternoon was filled with more meetings and introductions to different lab members. Was shown around the lab and learned about the research focus and priorities prior to meeting with the Primary Investigator.

Interview Questions

• How did you choose your graduate projects to put into your thesis?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Standard post-doc contract.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University in April 2013.

Interview

The interview included a Skype session at first, then a lab visit including a presentation followed with Q&A, a tour of the lab spaces as well as the Harvard shared facilities (the Center for Nanoscale Systems).

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

One phone interview with the PI. on-site campus visit and gave a 1 hr presentation. During phone interview with PI, we talked about my interests and possible projects which I can work. He also sent me few research papers so I could study them.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were from my previous work; so, I didn't have difficulty answering them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in February 2013.

Interview

This depends on the group you will work and your PI. I had no big issues. The interview was more a chat than an interview, since I brought my own fellowship.

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in June 2013.

Interview

It was one day entire day interview process.

First, you will usually have a meeting with PI. Then, you will start to meet with other people in the lab.
    They will have a crew of people to have a lunch to talk with you as well.
    Then, you will give a presentation about your research. After that, you will meet more people.

Negotiation

It is a set format, but vacation time was flexible.

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Contacted research group by email. Set up a Skype interview after which requested to come on-site for interview. Gave a seminar on-site and interviewed with group members individually. Long day with meeting a lot of people. Standard academic interview. Nothing special.

Interview Questions

• Was asked to propose ideas for projects. Not unusual in academia. Had to give them some thought.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.