Harvard University Research Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Harvard University Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 25, 2016

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

Employee referral to an email and then phone interview. It was not a difficult process whatsoever and it has been a great privilege to work here. Apply if you can! I highly recommend it.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Harvard University

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

About 2 weeks after I submitted my application online, I was contacted for a phone screen. This asked general information about my interests and how it matched the position. No behavioral questions asked but an expected salary range was requested. A couple weeks after that, the PI contacted me for a 1:1 interview to talk more about the position.

Interview Questions

• How have your research experiences and skills prepared you for this position?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Contacted by email first and then a phone interview with the potential advisor that you would like to work with. Bascialy, if you receive the phone call, it means that the advisor is very interested in you. So you do not need to be too nervous. Just refresh the projects that you have done and papers that you have published.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your previous research and project experience in detail. Basic questions about the course works.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process went smooth since the beginning. I had the chance to liaise previously with others working in the same research centres. Thus, I was well prepared to answering the questions asked.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Harvard University.

Interview

Current research assistants conducted screening interview for position opening. Asked standard questions regarding previous research experience, future goals, why you are interested in position, etc. Lab environment was described and interviewers (the current RAs) were friendly however they didn't appear to have experience interviewing making the situation a little awkward at times.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Boston, MA) in December 2012.

Interview

The interview process here was very casual. Knowing someone who works here will definitely help you get your foot in the company. The questions were very basic, more like a casual conversation than anything

Interview Questions

• The interview was more of a casual conversation about your background and life experiences that would apply to the job   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Framingham, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

HAd a phone interview intially and then had a check with references.It was an easy process adn we had like a discussion about the projects in the lab.The proff was friendly..And then had the next round of interview after almost a month and got the offer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in September 2011.

Interview

I had an in-person interview a research manager; then an in-person interview with one of my potential bosses (a professor), and then a phone interview with the other (a professor).

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I wanted to switch from a career in natural science research to a career in social science research.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in October 2010.

Interview

I asked a professor if they needed a research assistant in the lab, and they said yes. My interview was informal and they liked that I was enthusiastic and had an interest in the field. I'm not holding a student RA position that lasts for a few months, but I've been working here for a few years. They went out of their way to get me in even though I didn't reach all of the qualifications.

Interview Questions

• Why do you have a low GPA?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Harvard University (Cambridge, MA) in December 2009.

Interview

Submitted a letter and resume in response to a job posted on Harvard's ASPIRE website. Was then contacted by HR for a first round interview (screening process, very basic and brief), which was followed by a second interview with the executive director and a professor of the specific research program that posted the open position. There were at least 3-4 weeks between each event (applying, interviewing, and receiving job offer) and the overall process, from applying to starting the job, took about 4 months.

Interview Questions

• What is my long term career plan and how does this job fit into that plan?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for salary, which was low at best, given qualifications and experience.