Hawaii State Department of Education Interview Questions in Hawaii | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 17, 2017

2.6

15 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kïhei, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Kïhei, HI) in February 2017.

Interview

Was a bit of a flash interview. The man spouted off rapid fire questions, and didn't want to give eye contact. He said it would distract him from my answers. I think it's done on a point system.

Interview Questions

• A student tells you his parents think a tomato is a vegetable. What do you tell the student?   1 Answer

High School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kapolei, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Kapolei, HI) in January 2017.

Interview

Relatively short after the online process had been completed. Waited to hear from a school in need. When I arrived at the interview - was told they (the Admin/Interviewees) had no idea of my qualifications or experience (supplied to the Department beforehand)

Interview Questions

• Style profile was a useful device with a range of questions   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in September 2016.

Interview

-Applicant Pool
    -Interview is like a quiz based on teaching standards, very structured
    -Once you are in the applicant pool, principals can contact you and offer you jobs
    -The interview with principals can be easy or difficult depending on how many people are in line for the job (which means location is everything)

Interview Questions

• -Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?   1 Answer

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in August 2016.

Interview

2 1/2 month process: Applied on the department website. Filled out the basic info and work history. A month later was e-mailed a couple of dates to interview. On the day of the interview was interview by a panel (4). Each asked about your typical background history, situational questions and given a timed test (knowledge on Word, Excel, Powerpoint and writing skills)

Interview Questions

• What is an accomplishment from a previous job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lihue, HI

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Lihue, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process is long and applicant sits with a room full of teachers, school personnel and principal. Questions are asked in rotation by different members of the panel. Questions pertained to classroom scenarios, teaching philosophy and specific instructional methods.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a parent came to you concerned about their child's academic performance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in May 2014.

Interview

They're quick to hire but the process is extremely convoluted and cumbersome. My interview was on the phone and I was hired over the phone. The principal seemed eager to hire and possibly desperate. The DOE is willing to hire almost anyone it seems due to the teaching shortage.

Substitute Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Makawao, HI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Makawao, HI) in March 2014.

Interview

There is no real "interview." The candidate signs up at the Department headquarters in Wailuku, takes a deliberately impossible-to-fail exam, and is granted a subbing license good for five years.

Communication Aide Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in November 2013.

Interview

Took a long time to get a call back. Once I was told I got the job, it took even longer than they told me to begin working. Once you are on payroll, it takes 2 months to get your first paycheck.

Para Professional Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in September 2012.

Interview

the hiring process is quite long. send in application then call principle. schedule interwiew with principle then wait till a position opens. i work at a school in town and my paycheck took over a month and a half to get a pay check. the children are quite difficult if you have not had prior experience

Interview Questions

• what are the kids that i work with like?   1 Answer

Negotiation

no negotiation

User Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in July 2012.

Interview

Hear about job opening, meet with principal and/or vice principals. Questions are basic, scripted, straight from the State's job posting. Read this ahead of time and you can easily practice for the technical side of the interview but it just comes down to personality. They ask if you're OK with working overtime without pay. You're expected to be there during your hours to support staff and students. I got the job immediately and started the following Monday.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation as this is a State job, assigned a pay schedule of BU03 - White Collar non-supervisory SR-15.