Hawaii State Department of Education Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 25, 2017

2.4

22 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education.

Interview

It was a quick pre-screener for the teacher applicant pool. I later received a phone call that I was put in the pool but had no other actions to take to be called by specific schools. You can't apply for specific jobs.

Interview Questions

• A student comes to school and tells you that his dad said that a tomato is a vegetable, not a fruit (or vice versa). What would you tell the student?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kïhei, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Kïhei, HI) in February 2017.

Interview

Was a bit of a flash interview. The man spouted off rapid fire questions, and didn't want to give eye contact. He said it would distract him from my answers. I think it's done on a point system.

Interview Questions

• A student tells you his parents think a tomato is a vegetable. What do you tell the student?   1 Answer

Speech Language Pathologist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (New York, NY).

Interview

Online application with 3 letters of recommendations. I waited maybe 1-2montha before they contacted me for an interview. In person interview was conducted in person and lasted 30-45 mins.

Interview Questions

• How would you write a goal and objective for a student with low social skills?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in September 2016.

Interview

-Applicant Pool
    -Interview is like a quiz based on teaching standards, very structured
    -Once you are in the applicant pool, principals can contact you and offer you jobs
    -The interview with principals can be easy or difficult depending on how many people are in line for the job (which means location is everything)

Interview Questions

• -Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable?   1 Answer

Secretary Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in August 2016.

Interview

2 1/2 month process: Applied on the department website. Filled out the basic info and work history. A month later was e-mailed a couple of dates to interview. On the day of the interview was interview by a panel (4). Each asked about your typical background history, situational questions and given a timed test (knowledge on Word, Excel, Powerpoint and writing skills)

Interview Questions

• What is an accomplishment from a previous job?   1 Answer

Analyst Interview

Interview

Not very difficult; more of a conversation than an interview; talked about the structure of the Department of education; what types of projects I would be working on; who I would be working with; I think it was more of a personality screening than anything else

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education in July 2015.

Interview

Phone interview with principal and then met with principal, She asked my intentions in regards to moving to Maui and if I understood what it was like to teach in Hawaii.

MEP Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education.

Interview

Interview was very brief. It seemed more like a "talk story" session than an interview. It was low-key, casual, and kick back. The individual conducting the interview did most of the talking.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lihue, HI

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Lihue, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

Interview process is long and applicant sits with a room full of teachers, school personnel and principal. Questions are asked in rotation by different members of the panel. Questions pertained to classroom scenarios, teaching philosophy and specific instructional methods.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a parent came to you concerned about their child's academic performance?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hawaii State Department of Education (Honolulu, HI) in May 2014.

Interview

They're quick to hire but the process is extremely convoluted and cumbersome. My interview was on the phone and I was hired over the phone. The principal seemed eager to hire and possibly desperate. The DOE is willing to hire almost anyone it seems due to the teaching shortage.