Hays Interview Questions in Cambridge, East of England, England | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 7, 2017

4.5

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Intensive but educational, ensures 100% commitment if offered the job. Each stage offers more and more information to help you progress in the next steps. Frequent communication between the staff and the applicant. Opportunity to see multiple offices/locations and meet people in the business who you can learn from.

Interview Questions

• What are your career expectations?   1 Answer

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process for Hays was awful. It is a 4 stage interview including phone interview, 1:1 interview, assessment centre and a final face to face interview. The process took 2 weeks in which time I could have started another job and if I was successful it would have taken another 2 weeks at least to sort out the references and the paperback, rather than just sorting all that out at the first interview. It is totally unpractical and a total disregard for people's time to expect them to attend 4 interviews, one of which is completely out of the way and takes several hours ( I had to commute 2 hours away for my assessment centre interview). I passed the first 3 stages of the interview and then got told after the final interview that I didn't pass because it was down to one person whether they like you or not. So after being told I did brilliantly in the assessment centre which is the hardest part of the interview I wasn't successful because the last person to interview me didn't like my personality, which lets them override the whole internal recruitment team including people much more senior than themself. I also had a friend who works there guiding me through the whole thing and clearly that didn't help. So basically, I think applying for Hays is a ridiculously long process for a job starting at 16.5k and you'd be better of applying for a smaller recruitment company.

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hays (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Firstly a telephone interview, then a face to face interview with a Manager at your local Hays office. If you are then successful you will be asked to attend an Assessment day which will be at any office within the area. You will find out very soon after if you are through to the final stage of interview which is another face to face interview with a Regional Director.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to get into Recruitment?   1 Answer

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2014.

Interview

Stage One - Telephone interview
         - questions about why you want the job and why you'd be good at it - everyone must pass this stage?!

Stage Two - Competency based Face-to-Face Interview
        - Same as stage one, only in person. They will spring a role play on you, so be prepared to act out a sales pitch. They are looking for composure, ability to sell coherently, they want the candidate placed in one way or another, so things like offering training posts and temps come in handy - they love that.

Stage Three - Assessment Centre
         - Presentation on a topic of their choice - unseen. You one minute to prepare, two minutes to present. This is easy and they just want you to be calm under pressure.
         - Selling a candidate - You get a CV and rank in a team, you then role play to sell your candidate. I had the hardest candidate to sell but got him work experience, others had outstanding candidates but didn't get anywhere. It is tough, but it's a great insight.
       - Business Development Call - You get an unseen topic and then (back to back with an assessor) you role play a phone call. My topic was that the client had been sent a mailer, and I was giving them a courtesy call. All you need to do is bare in mind that every single role play is sales based, so try and sell them someone even if it doesn't really seem to fit in with your topic. Booking a meeting goes down very well.
       - Writing a job advert - waste of time, they don't even look at it and leave the room to decide whether you're through or not wilst you're doing it.

Stage Four - Director.
      - You meet a director in the centre that you've applied for. Because the assessment centre can take you away from your chosen office, you don't meet anyone from where you will potentially be working until this interview, which is daft really. They also have little idea of how you have performed, other than you are sat in front of them so you must have done okay. This stage trades really on your sales history. If you haven't got one, then you've been strung along for three interviews because this is likely to be the end of the road for you. They go hard at you, which is fair enough, but this stage lets down the whole process. Or at least it did in the Cambridge centre. I didn't get the job, but I've had experiences of other firms since then who have been more professional and much more respectful.

Interview Questions

• 'What on earth are you doing here then?'   1 Answer