Hays Recruitment Consultant Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 24, 2017

3.5

75 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays (Liverpool, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Internal recruiter emailed me as my CV suited the role, sent my CV across and was contacted to have a phone interview. Had a telephone call which was good, asked why recruitment? Why do you want to leave your current job? Etc. I got through this stage and was invited for a face to face interview the following week. Arrived at the office (very professional and spacious, was impressed) and was met by a nice girl who got straight into what was on my cv, she then gave me three scenarios and a couple of other questions. Lasted about 40 minutes and learnt so much about recruitment, questions were pretty grilling, I answered with confidence but the girl was always wanting more from me (but this is how recruitment works!!) I didn't make it to the next round (however received great feedback) and decided recruitment actually wasn't for me. All in all a good experience and I would suggest anyone wanting to get into recruitment this is the company you will want to work for. Very professional and seem to have a great work culture.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Hays

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hays (Liverpool, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

My interview was a 4 part process so I'll separate them all to give as much detail as I can.

Telephone interview - this was the first part of the process. I was contacted by the internal recruiter who was lovely and really made the telephone interview more like a conversation rather than prodding me with questions. She asked how I interpreted the job, how would I gain clients, how would I gain candidates, my experience and skills. Quite basic but a little challenging.

1 to 1 interview with the internal recruiter - I met with the recruiter I spoke to on the phone, in this part of the process we went through my CV, experience, more in depth of my interpretation of the job and done some scenario work i.e. She asked what I would do if I placed a candidate into temporary work and they didn't turn up. I had to answer how I would deal with this and prevent it from happening. I got asked 3 different scenarios. I was there for around 50 mins and I learnt quite a lot too!

Assessment day - 3rd part of the process and my fave! I was really nervous about this but oh my god I learnt so much in just 3 hours. You are asked to attend a morning with other possible candidates and take part in 3 exercises.
    1. Introduce yourself to a client basically sell yourself as a consultant
    2. Make a client call and try to get a meeting with them.
    3. Sell a candidate to a client.
    This part of the process will really get you thinking on your feet and help you make your mind up if this career is for you, I gained so much from this part of the process and it really showed everyone's strengths and weaknesses.

Interview with manager - the final part! It is a long winded process but it's not as stressful as it seems as everyone I met made me feel at ease, this final interview was more of a meeting with your potential new mangers in your specialist area. My interpretation of the final interview was basically to see if these managers would find you suit their team and working methods. The interview was really focussed on me as a person and how I want to develop in the time to come.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Phone interview followed by preliminary face-to-face interview and then a final interview with upper management.

First face-face interview was a pleasant experience and an obvious tick box affair.

Final Interview was fairly challenging but a little bit awkward due to the obvious disinterest halfway through. Panel went off topic a couple of times chatting amongst themselves about internal affairs.

Also don't bother asking what candidates are up to for the rest of the day if you barely wait for an answer before showing them the door.

Didn't hear back by the end of the week. Called multiple times for feedback, no answer. Surprisingly unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Describe your sales and persuasion tactics and please give endless examples.   Answer Question
    • Tell me why I shouldn't be worried about hiring you.   Answer Question

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays.

Interview

Quite long-winded, and strange. 4 stages in total, a telephone interview, in person interview, assessment centre and a competency based interview.

You are asked basic recruitment questions, then you are asked to perform situations.

Didn't receive any relevant or helpful feedback.

Interview Questions

• A situation (something similar to this) - You have provided 5 temps and 2 haven't turned up for work.   1 Answer

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hays (Birmingham, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

Interview was very thorough and engaging. 4 stage process - 1 telephone interview, 1 interview with business director, 1 assessment centre and 1 interview with regional business director and desk manager.

Internal recruitment team are lovely and really want the best outcome for you as an applicant if they feel you would be a suitable candidate. Formal interviews were challenging but enjoyable - interview with regional director was particularly difficult but this is a great way to prepare you for the recruitment industry by putting you under pressure and testing your knowledge and commitment.

The assessment centre was great - as an experienced consultant I feel this was relevant to the role and a realistic insight into the role of a RC. Consisted of a role play business development call in front of the group which included a different scenario for each applicant, a job advert excersise and a candidate selling excerise to finish.

The overall experience was very rewarding. My previous interview procedure for my old company was very informal and didn't give much insight into the role other than explaining the negatives (long days, high targets etc). for an associate candidate this process may seem daunting however speaking from experience, if you don't relish the challenge at the interview stage you will not succeed in the recruitment industry.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

There are four interview stages:

1. Telephone screening interview (approx 5-10 minutes) - why recruitment? why hays? a bit about your experience.
    2. First stage interview with a role play (approx 30 minutes) why recruitment? why hays? what is 360 degree recruitment? and a role play.
    3. Assessment centre (approx 2.5 hours) - lots of roleplays (but it's fun and everyone's lovely)
    4. Final stage interview with a director (approx 30 minutes)

I actually did this process twice because on my first attempt I got to the final stage interview with the directors but I wasn't successful. The first time in 2016, and the second time when I was successful in 2017.

After that interview I worked in sales for one year and re-applied (because Hays is the best place to work so it was worth the one year gaining sales experience) and then made it through every round successfully.

Don't be afraid by how many stages there are. You will find yourself naturally and quite easily succeeding through the stages.

In the interviews, demonstrate your persistence and likeability.

PERSISTENCE + LIKEABILITY IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS.

In the role plays, be persistent, don't give up when they give you an objection.

Also, smile a lot. Personality gets you very far in Hays.

Interview Questions

• Why recruitment?   1 Answer
    • What do you know about 360 degree recruitment?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to work for Hays?   1 Answer

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hays (Bristol, England (UK)).

Interview

thorough!
    there was a telephone interview followed up by a face to face interview which lead to an assessment day. following this i had an interview with a director and senior director

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hays (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process is a telephone interview fairly simple, just required to know abit of the company and explain some interests to the job role. I applied for an internship and went through to the next process, the group open day. Required to stand out and show rea interest to the company. You are requires to introduce yourself and and say an interesting fact about yourself as a ice breaker. Make sure youve researched the company. Very important. Recruitment was not for me and I did not move further in the process. Be confident and show your interest as directors are also their during the open day which last roughly 3 hours.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cheltenham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hays (Cheltenham, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Consisted of a Telephone Interview, Face to Face Interview, Assessment Centre, and a Final Face to Face interview. Everyone was really supportive and friendly, loved the process and love working for them now

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hays.

Interview

I had a lot of steps though
    1. Open Day
    2. Phone Interview
    3. Assessment Center
    4. Second Phone Interview
    5. 1:1 Interview with the director
    It was a really long process for me, maybe because I am in the Asia recruitment. Usually I heard people saying it would only be four steps. Even after the final interview, for my case, that's just the end of the UK process and I may still have to go through the Asia process. It is a very long journey but I really want the job. I would recommend this one as overall I have a very positive experience on those interviews!
    Still waiting for the last interview and I would update the status after I did!