Hays plc Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Hays plc Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 28, 2017

3.4

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview

The first stage involved a telephone conversation which involved speaking about why I would want to work for Hays and why do I want to work in the recruitment industry.

After this I was invited to an interview in Cambridge. As I arrived at the train station in Cambridge I got a call 40 minutes before my interview saying that the person who was suppose to do my interview could not do it because she was on a half day at work. After receiving this news I was obviously annoyed at the fact I spent most of my day preparing for the interview and had to wait for over an hour for a train back.

The interview was rearranged the following week in a different location. After not being successful with the interview, I asked about any reimbursement for the cost of the train tickets. They said they would only reimburse if I got the job, even though they contacted me 40 minutes before the first interview to tell me they had to rearrange.

Interview Questions

• Mock call with a possible client   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Hays plc

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

In person interview and then invited to assessment centre. Assessment centre was very fast paced but enjoyable and fun. Make sure you listen to what they are asking you to do, lots of people delivered presentations that were not in the format that they had asked us to do.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

Started with a full day Graduate Open Day. The following week I had an assessment centre for 3 hours. The week after that was the final interview with a director and manager.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose Hays over other graduate recruitment programmes?   Answer Question
    • Which specialism do you think you would be best suited to, and why?   Answer Question
    • Choose one of 3 CVs and place the chosen person into a job, according their skills and personality type.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in February 2017.

Interview

10 minute telephone-screening.
    1 full day of graudate open day with 30 people attending my session.
    3 hour assessment centre with 10 people attending my session.
    2 hour interview with a director and manager.

throught all stages I had a 'talent scout' who was on call should I want to discuss anything - and she was really helpful, ensuring that I knew what to expect and helped me prepare.

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online and heard back within a few days. A hiring agent called to arrange a telephone interview which would be about 15 to 20 minutes. The telephone interview was fairly relaxed and the agent was friendly and offered feedback on responses. After the telephone interview, I was invited for an interview in person which would have led to a final, third stage had I been successful.

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Initially I received a phosne call and was asked a few questions over the phone. A very short phone interview.

Next I was invited to have a face-to-face 1:1 interview.

It was explained to me that the next step would be a presentation day, but I did not get invited to this round.

Interview Questions

• Please take a few minutes to think about how you would approach a client about a possible candidate.
      Role-play the phone call.   Answer Question

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview process had four main components: a phone interview, a face to face interview with an internal recruiter, an assessment centre, and final interviews. The phone interview was very relaxed, it was mainly just going through my CV and general questions about why I wanted to work in recruitment. The assessment centre consisted of four sections: an introduction of yourself and the selling of one of Hays' USPs (selected at random), a business development call (with regular objections), the writing of a job advertisement, and selling in a potential candidate. This was then followed by a tour of the office. The final interview was with the managers of specific sectors (decided by the people assessing you at the assessment centre).

The process was professional throughout. Both the internal recruiters, Lauren Wise and Anne-Marie Kalas, were great throughout each stage and everyone who worked there seemed friendly and willing to help. My general feedback was that I was not professional enough, which was perhaps due to me trying to show too much personality in the final interviews rather than demonstrating how capable I actually am.

The one thing I didn't like was that I wasn't told the actual role I'd be doing until during the final interview. After the assessment centre you're given the sector but not the actual desk you'd be managing. Although I feel like I showed enthusiasm towards both sectors and the respective desks, further research on the specific role would have been invaluable. Overall, I was pleased with my experience and am naturally disappointed that I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Why Hays?
      Why recruitment?
      Example of a time you've been resilient.   Answer Question

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Hays plc (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Casual phone interview
    Face-to-face interview
    Assessment centre
    Final-stage interview (which I did not complete)

The assessment centre was nerve-wracking but you just have to appear really confident and put yourself out there.

For example, we were given three CVs and a job description and asked to pick which one was most appropriate. I just picked the most obvious one and when it came to the time for me to suggest it the interviewer said "oh I've already rejected him." I thought this meant she wanted me to pick a more hard-to-sell CV but upon reflection I think she wanted me to CHALLENGE HER. That is the key - my feedback was that I didn't take rejection well, probably because of this.

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview

After having a quick phone interview going over my CV I was invited to a one to one inter view. This was in the head quarters and was going over my CV in more depth and about the company and what the position was all about. It wasn't too intense and they were good at answering any of my questions. After this I was invited to a group interview.

The group interview was very intense. You need to make yourself heard. Do good research on the company, their awards, the sectors they recruit for and know the company values! You will have to do role plays, in front of the whole group, around 12 other candidates. They expect you to progress through the day, so learn from your mistakes at the beginning. In the role plays everyone had a different scenario and it was done at random. So just be prepared to be resilient. I had to get get a candidate an interview with a lead employer, with the twist the employer was going on holiday the next day! They will make you sweat but they are just testing how you handle negative situations. I was unsuccessful after this stage but they did call me the next day with feedback and advice which was helpful.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go into recruitment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

1. Phone Interview 2 days after application online
    Main objective of the phone interview was to find out what I knew about the job role and why I wanted to get into recruitment and why Hays.

2. Interview with internal recruiter
    Interviewed with the same person who interviewed me over the phone.
    Went through similar questions about why I wanted to get into recruitment, what I knew about the role. Why Hays and What I knew about Hays - Do your research!

There was also some role playing. The first role play they give you a situation and you have to say how you would deal with such a situation - the key for this part is to bring in hays core values into your response. As the example situation they give you relates to one of their four values (DO RESEARCH!)

Overall though I did find this interview very relaxed and felt it was more of an opportunity for the internal recruiter to get a better feel for my personality.

3. Assessment Centre which has 4 stages - Don't panic! I actually ended up enjoying myself! They give you a breakdown of this before hand so you know what to expect.

The assessment day starts with a presentation on the company - take notes during this part as you will have to give a presentation on some of it for the first task. I would also recommend doing extra research prior to the task as I included information that wasn't included in the presentation which I feel really made me stand out.

Presentation on a topic about Hays - everyone is asked to pick out a random topic to give a 2 min presentation on. I had Hays' Global Footprint (so 244 offices located in 33 countries etc ....) Other topics included - Hays core values, 360 job role etc.
    Anything you have to give a presentation on is included in the presentation prior so just pay attention and take notes.

BD call phoning a company to try and get them to list a job with you.
    You are given a company profile and given time to read it/take notes and prepare questions for the phone call. Here are some helpful tips for this section and questions you can ask (I had a friend who use to work at Hays who helped me prepare):
    Introduce yourself
    Don't jump straight in ask "how are you today"
    Remember your reason for calling "reason I'm calling today is ..." you can say you sent them an email about a candidate/job role or you saw their job role advertised online and wanted more info etc.

Questions to ask:
    Any positions available? Find out more about the job role/What they're looking for?
    When was the last time you had to recruit within your team? How did they recruit for that role? How did they find that service?
    Would you be willing to let me work on this exclusively for X weeks? Then sell advantages of this - you're an expert, exclusive candidates.
    Try to book a meeting - build a relationship with client/get better feel for company
    Size of your team? Experience required? Systems do you use? Salary? Main duties? Competitors?
    They give you feedback after - mine was very good because I was inquisitive and asked LOADS of questions

Main thing is to let the conversation flow and use their answers to sell your service. They're not going to make it easy for you and will throw in some objections such as:
    Agencies are too expensive
    Been messed around before by agencies
    don't have to do hiring a lot
    etc.

Writing a job advert - Given a job role to advertise. Given time to read it through then ask questions on missing information. Then not given a lot of time to write it so WRITE FAST! (look at how Hays advertise their jobs before hand)

Selling a candidate back to the company - Given a candidate you have chosen for role have to sell back. I would recommend looking at the CV's BAD points and being prepared for objections on those such as "over qualified". You are given a lot of freedom outside of CV such as "they're relocation to be closer to family" ...

Selling a candidate was what I found most difficult because they are obviously not going to give you amazing candidates.

At the end you get the opportunity to sit with a consultant - use this time wisely as I was sat with a manager and I asked a lot of questions about the job role and working for Hays. She was so impressed she wanted to interview me to work in her department.

4. Interview with Manager of department you're being considered for - interview with manager I met with at the assessment centre.
    Main questions were with regards to my CV/experience
    A lot of competency - team work/leader
    What I learnt at uni
    What I knew about department - RESEARCH AGAIN!! :')

Sorry for the long description just found other posts on here very vague and hope this helps other people in the future!