Hays plc Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Hays plc Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 26, 2017

3.5

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hays plc (Bristol, England (UK)).

Interview

thorough!
    there was a telephone interview followed up by a face to face interview which lead to an assessment day. following this i had an interview with a director and senior director

Trainee Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

It's a 4 stage process

Generic competency based phone interview. Asks you what you know about the company. What are you motivations? Why recruitment? Why hays?

Then invited for an open day. This involved a presentation of the company. Then 3 tasks. Presenting yourself to the group, why hays and an interesting fact about yourself. Next was working in groups to interview managing directors about a position. After this, you then had to sell yourself in front of the group as to why you'd make a good recruitment consultant

If successful, you'd be invited to the assessment centre. This involved an email prep that was set 24 hrs before hand with CVs, a company profile and a job advert. You also had to prepare a presentation about yourself. This presentation had to be about you in a few years time as an established recruiter selling yourself to a prospective client. Next was a role play of a business development call. After, involved writing your own job advert. This was followed by a role play of selling candidates to a client from a job agency.

The next and final stage was an interview with what could be the managing director to your speciality. This was based about your CV. All about you. My issue here was my pure nervousness. You have to show your confidence, resilience and passion here.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

4 Interview stages.
    First on telephone giving overview of your work history, why you want to work with Hays, why you want to get into recruitment etc. Important to demonstrate 'Hays' Values'. Lasted roughly an hour.

Second round face-to-face within a branch. Quite informal, go through a number of hypothetical situations and how you'd tackle them. Also do a role-play, with this my advice is to read up on overcoming objections. Really listen to what they are saying during the role-play, ask OPEN questions as they will give straight 'no's' otherwise.

Third round, assessment centre. Honestly I found this veeeery difficult. Started with giving a short presentation on why a company should choose Hays, and you specifically, as a recruiter. Then you do a role-play in front of everyone there. As with second round it is very important to listen, ask open questions, don't be discouraged! Next task was writing a job advert to attract candidates. Last was another role-play, one-on-one. Try to put into practice the feedback from the first role-play of the day, they are looking for ability to take feedback onboard and act on it immediately.

Fourth round, face-to-face again, less formal, meeting team.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work with Hays plc   1 Answer

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (Birmingham, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

1) Phone interview - Why recruitment, what do you know about the job, why Hays, what experience do you have in sales? Sound professional, eloquent and intelligent.

2) Face-to-face interview with an internal recruiter + role play. There were a few Qs about my previous sales experience, gaps on my CV, why work in sales & what I know about recruitment consultancy. Make sure you thoroughly research the role as my lack of research showed in the role-play phone call where I had to pretend to be a consultant. Introduce yourself as a consultant with Hays & ask Qs about how their recruitment process is going & whether their candidates fit the bill, then try to emphasise why your candidate is ideal and why they should interview them. You'll get some feedback so take notes!

If successful, the next stage is a group assessment.

3) Group assessment. I was sent info 2 days prior with an overview of group day and info on a fictional company looking to hire for a position. Three accompanying CVs were given. Read through these all thoroughly. Preparation is key and research some facts about Hays! The day was broken in to several parts parts:

A) Presentation on Hays, with questions.

B) Group introductions and why you want to work for Hays, avg length was 60-90secs.

C) Role-play. You are making a business development call to build links with the fictional company. Introduce yourself and ask how their recruitment process is going, listen and then talk about how you can improve on any recruitment services they currently may have. Try to get an agreement to meet each other face to face to discuss further. We were given 3 mins max for the call. Use the feedback given in your first face to face interview's role play!

D) 10 mins to write a Hays-style job advert for the position that the fictional company are hiring for, You're first given the chance to ask Qs about the role as possible as the job spec you were emailed doesn't have details such as salary, benefits, key competencies, KPIs etc (make sure you ask these questions and not the other candidates!). In the advert make sure you are highlighting the key roles, competencies, skills, experience etc. Write it in the "Hays style" so ensure you go on their website and search for how they write their actual job descriptions for similar roles!

E) Role-play. You are given the 3 CVs you were previously sent. Choose one to pitch to them. You should already know which candidate fits the job best.. You only have 5mins to plan your role play - why your candidate has the right skills, competencies and experience for the job. You have a bit of freedom to make up stuff that isn't on the CV as long as it's not far-fetched. Ensure you know the CV well as there may be some little "traps" in them for you.

In the role play ensure that you refer back to the BD call in part C and reconfirm what they were looking for in the candidate (the info that's in the job advert you made). Ensure you sell the candidate well. The best candidates will get an agreement from them to interview your candidate. Most people will get "I'll be in touch in a few days after I've met the other recruitment consultants".

I went 2nd, which meant that I was able to sit and observe the other candidates and I was pretty confident that I did better than them. The others had more prep time though.

After this you're dismissed.

I was invited to the final interview, which was with two senior recruiters, one at a time. They asked; why sales/Hays, how I got my last job, why I left/want to leave, my previous sales experience, my motivations. Emphasise that you're hard-working, persistent, have thick skin and are motivated by the potentially high earnings. Try to also get your personality across so don't be a robot. They'll likely ask a few personal questions about travel experiences (if it's on your CV), hobbies etc. Ensure you ask them questions too.

I believe my interview went well and I'm awaiting an answer, which should come soon. I don't think I could have done any better so I'm content. I know that this long description will help you guys (as long as you want to be a recruiter, research Hays and the job, and prepare well).

If I am offered the job I will accept as I can see that they do invest in their staff and the potential rewards are massive. But it's certainly not an easy job by the looks and sounds of it.

Interview Questions

• Read my detailed interview process description.   1 Answer

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Initial call with an employee to discuss motivations, why recruitment etc.
    Invited to London for an interview lasting nearly two hours. Quite relaxed environment and asking about CV, what do I know about Hays, recruitment, their business model etc.
    Two days later I had an interview with a Director 1on1 who asked me questions about my CV, and practiced a BD call. Then a senior manager, also practiced a scenario calling a potential client. Then two other consultants interviewed me to get to know me personally. Finally another 1on1 with a senior consultant which was a relaxed conversation. This was more a chat than an interview.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Interview process is a telephone interview fairly simple, just required to know abit of the company and explain some interests to the job role. I applied for an internship and went through to the next process, the group open day. Required to stand out and show rea interest to the company. You are requires to introduce yourself and and say an interesting fact about yourself as a ice breaker. Make sure youve researched the company. Very important. Recruitment was not for me and I did not move further in the process. Be confident and show your interest as directors are also their during the open day which last roughly 3 hours.

Placement Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview

4 stages after the initial application; phone interview, open day, assessment centre, and interview. This seems like a lot but it gives you a chance to get to know the job role and the company so you can make an informed decision as to whether you would like to work there.

Negotiation

Trainee Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edgware, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (Edgware, England (UK)).

Interview

The hiring and interview process was good, very extensive though. Did a telephone interview, then was invited to an open day, then an assessment centre and finally an interview. Each stage got harder as it got on, so being well prepared is very important. They tell you what to expect before each stage, do all you have to do is know your knowledge before going.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process for Hays was awful. It is a 4 stage interview including phone interview, 1:1 interview, assessment centre and a final face to face interview. The process took 2 weeks in which time I could have started another job and if I was successful it would have taken another 2 weeks at least to sort out the references and the paperback, rather than just sorting all that out at the first interview. It is totally unpractical and a total disregard for people's time to expect them to attend 4 interviews, one of which is completely out of the way and takes several hours ( I had to commute 2 hours away for my assessment centre interview). I passed the first 3 stages of the interview and then got told after the final interview that I didn't pass because it was down to one person whether they like you or not. So after being told I did brilliantly in the assessment centre which is the hardest part of the interview I wasn't successful because the last person to interview me didn't like my personality, which lets them override the whole internal recruitment team including people much more senior than themself. I also had a friend who works there guiding me through the whole thing and clearly that didn't help. So basically, I think applying for Hays is a ridiculously long process for a job starting at 16.5k and you'd be better of applying for a smaller recruitment company.

Placement Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Watford, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (Watford, East of England, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call about 2 weeks later. Questions such as Why Hays? Why recruitment? Why do you think you'd be a good fit for a recruitment role?I was then invited to a 1:1 interview. This was relatively informal. We went through my CV, asked me a few general questions about myself and we then did some situational questions and a role play. I was informed I would receive a phone call at the end of the day. It has been over a week so I don't have high hopes but was still a good experience.