Hays plc Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.5

296 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Trainee Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc (Manchester, England (UK)).

Interview

3 stage interview process

Meeting with Internal Manager - run through of your CV with some competency based questions
    Group Interview of roughly 7-8 people - role playing
    Team Managers Interview from various teams

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview

Formal interview, two different role play scenarios, variety of questions. Definitely beneficial to do research on company and prepare yourself beforehand. Have a couple of questions to ask the interviewer at the end of the interview.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (Stoke-on-Trent, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

First off I had a phone interview with the lovely Aisha from the Birmingham office. She was lovely and very informative. At this point you will be asked why you want to work in recruitment, why you would fit in etc.

Second stage is a face to face interview at the branch you will be working at, for me that was with Sarah, the business director from the Hanley branch in Stoke-on-Trent. You must show your interest here, though the interviewer may try to intimidate you, this is because if you are to get a job as a Recruitment Consultant you must must must have the ability to stay calm and keep yourself together during times of stress. You need to show your confidence and show them why you will be good in the role.

Third stage is an assessment centre, for me I went to the Birmingham office where I was assessed within a group of 13 other potential recruits from that area. The assessor name was David, again, he may seem intimidating but he's lovely and only wants to make sure you will be able to do the job. This is EXTREMELY challenging, but it is a must to filter out the people who will have the ability to work in the demanding recruitment industry. It is hard, but keep your calm, do your research beforehand, show how keen you are, and show your ability to listen and learn from advice and you can get through it.
    I was actually late for the assessment due to confusion with the trains (I'm not a regular on trains) and genuinely believed I'd lost my chance, but by keeping my calm and showing them after a stressful event I could still keep it together, I got through to the next stage.

The last stage may feel like it's going to be more relaxed, especially after experiencing the assessment centre, but I can assure you it isn't. What you need to remember at this point is that you got there because they see the potential in you. Don't give up, don't stop trying, and show them your genuine interest and sales/people skills. I had my last interview with Tom, a director in the Midlands region, and a manager from the Hanley branch. They were both lovely, but of course they really did try to break me down. Again, it's hard, but if you can't get past it, you won't be able to do the job.

Realistically, it is a really difficult interview process to get through, but sales is tough, recruitment is stressful and hard going and I think the stages are completely necessary to filter out the people who do and don't have the backbone to work in this environment. The professionalism during the recruitment process simply made me want to work for the company even more.

Good luck to anyone currently interviewing for a role at Hays, I looked through all of the interview reviews before my interview and I hope my review can help you too. If you are right for the job you can get it, recruitment is sales, and if you can sell yourself you are onto a winner. Just don't give up, you can do it!

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview

There were 4 rounds and I made it through to the final stage. First stage, phone interview. Second, 1 on 1 interview. Third, group assessment morning. Final, interview with directors at office at which I had applied for.

The process is very thorough and you really do get a strong feel of what it would feel like to be a recruitment consultant at Hays. You role play plenty of situations in which you have to think on your feet so it was very challenging in that respect.

The main reason I did not get offered a job was because in the final interview I did not convey enough passion for the job role. I feel like this was perhaps the right decision. I feel like it would be a job that I could do really well in but not necessarily a passion,

The process has generally boosted my confidence getting so far into the process and I'll continue looking for something I am passionate about.

Interview Questions

• Why Hays?
      Why Recruitment?
      Lots of situational role plays.   Answer Question

Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc.

Interview

The first stage involved a telephone conversation which involved speaking about why I would want to work for Hays and why do I want to work in the recruitment industry.

After this I was invited to an interview in Cambridge. As I arrived at the train station in Cambridge I got a call 40 minutes before my interview saying that the person who was suppose to do my interview could not do it because she was on a half day at work. After receiving this news I was obviously annoyed at the fact I spent most of my day preparing for the interview and had to wait for over an hour for a train back.

The interview was rearranged the following week in a different location. After not being successful with the interview, I asked about any reimbursement for the cost of the train tickets. They said they would only reimburse if I got the job, even though they contacted me 40 minutes before the first interview to tell me they had to rearrange.

Interview Questions

• Mock call with a possible client   1 Answer

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hays plc (Bristol, England (UK)).

Interview

thorough!
    there was a telephone interview followed up by a face to face interview which lead to an assessment day. following this i had an interview with a director and senior director

Trainee Graduate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

It's a 4 stage process

Generic competency based phone interview. Asks you what you know about the company. What are you motivations? Why recruitment? Why hays?

Then invited for an open day. This involved a presentation of the company. Then 3 tasks. Presenting yourself to the group, why hays and an interesting fact about yourself. Next was working in groups to interview managing directors about a position. After this, you then had to sell yourself in front of the group as to why you'd make a good recruitment consultant

If successful, you'd be invited to the assessment centre. This involved an email prep that was set 24 hrs before hand with CVs, a company profile and a job advert. You also had to prepare a presentation about yourself. This presentation had to be about you in a few years time as an established recruiter selling yourself to a prospective client. Next was a role play of a business development call. After, involved writing your own job advert. This was followed by a role play of selling candidates to a client from a job agency.

The next and final stage was an interview with what could be the managing director to your speciality. This was based about your CV. All about you. My issue here was my pure nervousness. You have to show your confidence, resilience and passion here.

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milton Keynes, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hays plc (Milton Keynes, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

4 Interview stages.
    First on telephone giving overview of your work history, why you want to work with Hays, why you want to get into recruitment etc. Important to demonstrate 'Hays' Values'. Lasted roughly an hour.

Second round face-to-face within a branch. Quite informal, go through a number of hypothetical situations and how you'd tackle them. Also do a role-play, with this my advice is to read up on overcoming objections. Really listen to what they are saying during the role-play, ask OPEN questions as they will give straight 'no's' otherwise.

Third round, assessment centre. Honestly I found this veeeery difficult. Started with giving a short presentation on why a company should choose Hays, and you specifically, as a recruiter. Then you do a role-play in front of everyone there. As with second round it is very important to listen, ask open questions, don't be discouraged! Next task was writing a job advert to attract candidates. Last was another role-play, one-on-one. Try to put into practice the feedback from the first role-play of the day, they are looking for ability to take feedback onboard and act on it immediately.

Fourth round, face-to-face again, less formal, meeting team.

Interview Questions

• Why I wanted to work with Hays plc   1 Answer

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (Birmingham, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

1) Phone interview - Why recruitment, what do you know about the job, why Hays, what experience do you have in sales? Sound professional, eloquent and intelligent.

2) Face-to-face interview with an internal recruiter + role play. There were a few Qs about my previous sales experience, gaps on my CV, why work in sales & what I know about recruitment consultancy. Make sure you thoroughly research the role as my lack of research showed in the role-play phone call where I had to pretend to be a consultant. Introduce yourself as a consultant with Hays & ask Qs about how their recruitment process is going & whether their candidates fit the bill, then try to emphasise why your candidate is ideal and why they should interview them. You'll get some feedback so take notes!

If successful, the next stage is a group assessment.

3) Group assessment. I was sent info 2 days prior with an overview of group day and info on a fictional company looking to hire for a position. Three accompanying CVs were given. Read through these all thoroughly. Preparation is key and research some facts about Hays! The day was broken in to several parts parts:

A) Presentation on Hays, with questions.

B) Group introductions and why you want to work for Hays, avg length was 60-90secs.

C) Role-play. You are making a business development call to build links with the fictional company. Introduce yourself and ask how their recruitment process is going, listen and then talk about how you can improve on any recruitment services they currently may have. Try to get an agreement to meet each other face to face to discuss further. We were given 3 mins max for the call. Use the feedback given in your first face to face interview's role play!

D) 10 mins to write a Hays-style job advert for the position that the fictional company are hiring for, You're first given the chance to ask Qs about the role as possible as the job spec you were emailed doesn't have details such as salary, benefits, key competencies, KPIs etc (make sure you ask these questions and not the other candidates!). In the advert make sure you are highlighting the key roles, competencies, skills, experience etc. Write it in the "Hays style" so ensure you go on their website and search for how they write their actual job descriptions for similar roles!

E) Role-play. You are given the 3 CVs you were previously sent. Choose one to pitch to them. You should already know which candidate fits the job best.. You only have 5mins to plan your role play - why your candidate has the right skills, competencies and experience for the job. You have a bit of freedom to make up stuff that isn't on the CV as long as it's not far-fetched. Ensure you know the CV well as there may be some little "traps" in them for you.

In the role play ensure that you refer back to the BD call in part C and reconfirm what they were looking for in the candidate (the info that's in the job advert you made). Ensure you sell the candidate well. The best candidates will get an agreement from them to interview your candidate. Most people will get "I'll be in touch in a few days after I've met the other recruitment consultants".

I went 2nd, which meant that I was able to sit and observe the other candidates and I was pretty confident that I did better than them. The others had more prep time though.

After this you're dismissed.

I was invited to the final interview, which was with two senior recruiters, one at a time. They asked; why sales/Hays, how I got my last job, why I left/want to leave, my previous sales experience, my motivations. Emphasise that you're hard-working, persistent, have thick skin and are motivated by the potentially high earnings. Try to also get your personality across so don't be a robot. They'll likely ask a few personal questions about travel experiences (if it's on your CV), hobbies etc. Ensure you ask them questions too.

I believe my interview went well and I'm awaiting an answer, which should come soon. I don't think I could have done any better so I'm content. I know that this long description will help you guys (as long as you want to be a recruiter, research Hays and the job, and prepare well).

If I am offered the job I will accept as I can see that they do invest in their staff and the potential rewards are massive. But it's certainly not an easy job by the looks and sounds of it.

Interview Questions

• Read my detailed interview process description.   1 Answer

Associate Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Initial call with an employee to discuss motivations, why recruitment etc.
    Invited to London for an interview lasting nearly two hours. Quite relaxed environment and asking about CV, what do I know about Hays, recruitment, their business model etc.
    Two days later I had an interview with a Director 1on1 who asked me questions about my CV, and practiced a BD call. Then a senior manager, also practiced a scenario calling a potential client. Then two other consultants interviewed me to get to know me personally. Finally another 1on1 with a senior consultant which was a relaxed conversation. This was more a chat than an interview.