Hays plc Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Hays plc Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 23, 2017

3.5

Trainee Recruitment COnsultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

The interview process for Hays was awful. It is a 4 stage interview including phone interview, 1:1 interview, assessment centre and a final face to face interview. The process took 2 weeks in which time I could have started another job and if I was successful it would have taken another 2 weeks at least to sort out the references and the paperback, rather than just sorting all that out at the first interview. It is totally unpractical and a total disregard for people's time to expect them to attend 4 interviews, one of which is completely out of the way and takes several hours ( I had to commute 2 hours away for my assessment centre interview). I passed the first 3 stages of the interview and then got told after the final interview that I didn't pass because it was down to one person whether they like you or not. So after being told I did brilliantly in the assessment centre which is the hardest part of the interview I wasn't successful because the last person to interview me didn't like my personality, which lets them override the whole internal recruitment team including people much more senior than themself. I also had a friend who works there guiding me through the whole thing and clearly that didn't help. So basically, I think applying for Hays is a ridiculously long process for a job starting at 16.5k and you'd be better of applying for a smaller recruitment company.

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 4 stages.

An initial telephone interview.
    Graduate open day.
    Assessment centre.
    Final interview.

Overall, this was a very pleasant experience. Daunting of course as Hays are a huge organisation and you need to do your homework in order to progress.

The phone interview was with a lady by the name of Rachel. Quite a simple telephone conversation, discussing what I know about the company and the 360 recruitment process. At the end of the call, she advised I got through to the next stage and she would be my point of call throughout the process.

The graduate open day consisted of around 30 people. There were various tasks throughout the day whereby we had to showcase some of our presentation and communication skills. We got a very good insight into the company and the way they operate.

The assessment centre was a couple of weeks later. This stage was tough. Need to do your homework and go there with the intention to put your best foot forward. In this stage you get a real feel of what the job could entail. Of course, all of the activities are role plays, but the Hays staff really put you through your paces. It's most likely in this stage where you'll know whether Hays is something for you or not.

The final interview is with the director(s) of the department you could be placed in. A very pleasant experience whereby it gives both parties to get to know each other a little more and see if you'll fit within the team and company.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience and the internal recruiter, Rachel, was extremely helpful throughout and she should be commended for her hard work.

Interview Questions

• Resilience based, company knowledge, 360 process and recruitment based.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

Amazing recruitment team. I was first head hunted by one of the recruitment consultants: Harriet. She alongside the internal recruiter: Jordan were extremely supportive and prompt in providing feedback and advice throughout the process.
    Three stage process: first stage interview, assessment centre, final stage interview
    Presented many challenges that highlighted the importance of resilience and provided a realistic overview of what to expect from the role and the company

Interview Questions

• What drives you to do well?   Answer Question
    • What is your understanding of the role?   Answer Question
    • How will you transfer your skills from previous work experience and life experiences to this role?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Understand what it is you want from the role? And also what you want in your career
    The salary is very basic but, self drive and self belief is important in order to understand the long terms benefits

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (Glasgow, Scotland (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

My first experience was in Scotland with my Director at the time, Keith Mason. This interview was rigorous and demanding but gave me an insight into how tough recruitment is as an industry.
    I moved back to Ireland and interviewed again with my Director here, Niall Toland and this was a little easier as I had almost 6 months experience within Hays already.

Interview Questions

• Where I want to be in a few years time?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I wasn't confident enough at the time to negotiate.

Recruitment Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Liverpool, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (Liverpool, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

3 stage interview process meeting various employees and management. 1st stage is a telephone screening, the second stage is a group assessment at the Manchester branch, and the final stage is a meeting with the line manager and the Director.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in March 2016.

Interview

3 Stage interview: telephone then 2 assessment centres. Telephone interview is more of a personally fit test to see if you can hold a conversation and only 10 mins. First assessment centre was with about 20 others and extremely competitive as everyone is shouting to get their voice heard. Then another assessment centre (smaller group) with more challenging tasks then after that had three 2 on 1 interviews to assess which area would be best suited for me. Very intense but prepares you for what it is really like to work there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation required as I wanted the internship

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

I got my first face to face interview by ringing up a senior internal recruiter whilst I was standing outside their Cheapside office with a printed copy of my CV and told her that I would like an interview as soon as possible.

By being bold and showing how confident you are will make you stand out in the application and assessment process.

After this first face to face interview I was invited to attend one of the assessment days. You NEED to prepare for this by researching on the Hays website about the Brand values, key figures in the business (MD's, CEO) and information on the company such as how many countries Hays operates in, number of specialisms etc. Another excellent way to prepare is by reading as many Glassdoor reviews as possible because the questions are nearly all out there on Glassdoor, you just need to find them. Throughout this assessment day it is important to be as confident as possible, stay positive and go with whatever direction it takes but always try and make something into a positive result because they will likely sometimes throw a curveball at you and make things as difficult as possible.

After an intense assessment day where I experienced a few of these curveballs for myself, I received a call letting me know that I had been successful and they wanted one more face to face interview. This interview was with my potential manager and the senior manager above him. This was less about the corporate side of Hays and really about finding more about me as a person and seeing if the personality fit would be suitable and why I have chosen recruitment and specifically Hays.

It is important to be completely honest both in the answers you give but also to be honest with yourself if this is actually something that you want, as opposed to wanting just any old job. This is a very hard working job. There is a very steep learning curve and you are in at the deep end doing your job from day one. You do have support from colleagues and managers but ultimately you need to be doing your work, not them.

All in all, the interview and assessment process is intense however if you prepare well enough for it and remain relaxed, confident and try to take everything in your stride then you will be fine!!

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

The entire process was rigorous and inspiring. Every member of staff I met were very professional, efficient and highly confident.

Initially, I made contact by phone, submitted my CV and then, I waited for another call. The next call was to schedule a meeting with them (the next day). I met with Jordan Purdie who on meeting, you could tell was a man of business. He really drilled me about my CV and my reasons for choosing Hays. There were some unexpected telephone role plays, I found these particularly difficult. Nevertheless, they did prove essential for my preparation for the assessment center. Although, when I say nothing, I mean NOTHING really could have prepared me for what I met in the assessment center it was so enduring three candidates up and left mid way. It is not for the faint heart-ed.

However, personally, I learned so much about myself and the process of recruitment in just those 3 hours, I went home both exhausted and exhilarated. You can tell the format of training with Hays PLC will be world class. BRAVO and thank you to the team Jordan, Jenna, David and Luke.

I am through to the final stage and really looking forward to seeing what they offer.

Thank you again to the interview panel and best of luck to you, the future candidates.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was very comfortable as everyone was very helpful and nice. It was tough as they do test you on how resilient you can be. It was a good experience in general.

Interview Questions

• Why do you think you will be good at recruitment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hays plc (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process involved first a phone interview then a face-to-face interview before being called in for an assessment centre and then a final interview with the director. It was a very hard process and there was a lot of competition especially in the assessment day. However it is extremely well tailored to the job and gives you an insight into whether or not you will be able to perform. The people carrying out the interviews are well organised and professional.