Headspring Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 30, 2017

3.2

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Headspring (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

Pretty standard fare. Started with a phone screening with the HR/Office Manager. Then proceeded to a phone interview with the Lead PM. After that, I was given a skills task where I had to create a project plan slide deck and presentation for a pretend client. I was given a week to prepare - very reasonable.

Onsite interview started ~20 minutes late; it's an agency, stuff happens. I was scheduled to do my presentation first to three PMs, then have regular interviews with two more groups of three different employees. Whole process would have taken ~2.5 hours. At the time, I thought I did better than I anticipated with the presentation, but since then I got my PMI-ACP cert and I can see a lot of holes in it. Which brings me to the point in the interview I thought was rather cheeky.

After my presentation and very reasonable interview questions, the group said their pleasantries and went to get the second group. I waited for a few minutes, then the lead PM came back, by himself, and said there was some sort of emergency with one of their clients and that the interview had to be cut short. He assured me that I would be contacted in a couple of days to schedule phone interviews with the rest of the team, said some pleasantries, and escorted me out. Two days later, I still heard nothing, so I emailed to find out if the phone interviews were to happen soon? A few hours later, the lead PM called me and said that they were going to pursue other candidates. Okay, that's perfectly reasonable.

What left me with a sour taste, however, was the apparent ruse with the "emergency client scenario." If they did not think I was a good fit, I should have been told while I was at the onsite, rather than string me along with a perceived ruse. Would have I been contacted had I not emailed them after a couple of days? I would imagine, no, hoping that I would have just faded away. At least this is the perception I got after the whole scenario played out. Not good form.

The people I met were smart and nice, except for the end shenanigans part. Because of this, even as my skill-sets grow, I would not consider applying to this company in the future. If they are willing to play these games with potential candidates, what are they willing to play with its employees?

Interview Questions

• What are the budgetary requirements for this project plan you are presenting?   Answer Question

Headspring Response

Mar 27, 2017 – VP of Talent

Thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves at Headspring on aligning our recruiting and candidate interview process with our core values, and it's clear we dropped the ball on that during your... More

Project Director Interview

Application

Interview

Submitted application online. Contacted by recruiting coordinator to schedule phone screen. It took us a couple weeks to get our calendars aligned. 30 minute phone screen with VP of Talent. Next steps?

SDR Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Headspring.

Interview

You send someone to take a questionnaire but then if they don't take it immediately you are not moving forward in the interview process.. did it occur to you that people may be busy during the work week? Why a time limit on a questionnaire.. horrid process

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Headspring.

Interview

I received an email from their HR to setup the initial HR call (get to know and go over basics). Next call was with PM and Director to go over things on my resume for 30-40 minutes and then was given a project to work on (around 15 mins to discuss it).

Project was basically to prepare a project plan with goals, high level tasks, time/budget estimate, risks, etc. They expect to be questioned on the initial requirements while we work on the project.

Next call was to go through what I had prepared and present it to Headspring as if I am Headspring PM and they are a prospective client. They try to grill you on various aspects of project plan and we are expected to convince them and win their business. I believe I did a good job during the call and received HR's call right after with positive feedback. However, things changed on their end and they couldn't move forward in the end.

I believe I had aced all discussions and enjoyed the interview process. But, it would have been better if they had their job requirements set before the process begun.

Interview Questions

• Your favorite core value out of company's core values?   Answer Question
    • Project plan (as mentioned under derails).   Answer Question
    • Your background related, PM methods/techniques, standard interview questions for PM.   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Headspring (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Initial interview was with HR and it's simple, where he wanted know about my background and career goals. Then for the second round I was given an assignment to complete in 1 week. assignment was about CRUS operations and employee login. I was asked to explain about the design and application. And the asked me to add an another feature in the assignment. I took 10min and completed. I felt I did very well. after two days HR emailed me saying that i did little bit better but they cannot find any position matching my experience and skill!! I was surprised as this position is for Sr Java developer and how come my skills doesn't match? And also Interviewer did not ask any technical questions related my skills and they didn't even mention what skills they need. It seems interviewer is not from Java background!

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Headspring (Dallas, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

It started with an initial phone call, followed by a follow-up phone call. After that, I was emailed a skill assessment with 4 days to complete it. After that, I had to demo my assessment with the director of engineering and a senior consultant. This was followed by an on-site interview. The on-site was more of a get to know you interview. Offer was made 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you failed at something, and what did you learn?   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Headspring in July 2015.

Interview

My interview experience started off well. I had an initial phone screen with an HR recruiter who was very nice. He basically wanted to know what my background is, what my career goals are, how I heard about Headspring, etc. Afterwards, I was given an assignment to work on. I had a about a week to complete it. I put time into making sure it met all the specified requirements I received in an email from the HR Recruiter. I even stayed up until 3am the night before my 2nd interview to ensure my assignment was completed and met all requirements given to me. Next, I met with the director of engineering and another interviewer to walk through my assignment and answer questions. I work downtown for my current job and could not meet them online at work, so I went to a coffee shop to meet them online at 2pm. I thought the meeting went well but the next day was told they passed due to other candidates being a better fit. I asked for an explanation after all of the sacrifices and work I put into this interview, and was told I did not meet all of the requirements and the location I chose was not great due to background noise! The director of engineering used a very condescending tone when he told me this. Needless to say, I was insulted. I am shocked at this company especially with how they pride themselves on their "core values". I didn't see it. I do not recommend wasting your time interviewing for this company.

Technical Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Headspring (Dallas, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

There were several steps to the interview process. The first interview consisted of a screening interview with a recruiter where basic questions about my background and Headspring. The second interview was with the Director of Engineering who asked more detailed questions about my back ground. During this interview, an assignment is given in which you have several days to completed. The third interview was the presentation of the assignment given in the previous interview. There were multiple people in the room during this interview. The final interview was onsite and with several Headspring employees. I was able to get a good feel for the company during this interview and it was a pretty relaxed environment. If you take the assignment seriously and put in the work, you should do fine. Make sure to be prepared to answer intriguing questions about different scenarios at work and how you would handle them. This company was very efficient and didn't waste any time during the process. To do all 4 interviews, I believe it was only a few short weeks.

Interview Questions

• Which of the company's core values interest you the most?   Answer Question

Senior .NET Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Headspring (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

Friendly. The interviewers were easy going. A lot of the director's questions were about specific examples of experiences during my career. There were a couple of technical questions about design, and about a particular library I referred to. Everything seemed positive, there was no negative feedback provided during the interview. The closing statements by the interviewers were misleading in tone and ambiguous in content - perhaps this is normal.

Interview Questions

• What was the one thing you are most proud of in your career?   Answer Question
    • Give one specific example of a project that did not go well at all. What could you have done differently?   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telephone, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Headspring (Telephone, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

A good interview that quizzed me about my knowledge and gauging my emotional intelligence, along with a review of my LinkedIn profile (with recommendations and endorsements), a review of my resume, and a reference check could have verified my knowledge, skills, and abilities for the position. However, rather than do that, I was given a brief interview (very brief from the perspective of learning more about me and my qualifications), and then asked to complete what amounted to a "homework assignment" that felt more like something for a college student completing an end-of-semester project.

The project would have required many hours of effort (at least 5-10 hours if done correctly)--all before we even had a discussion about salary to ensure that we were aligned. I may be an exception rather than the norm, but it seems the company is filtering candidates not willing to go to that effort at that stage in the process. The question that must be answered is if they are effectively filtering candidates that are just not eager enough to make that time commitment, or if they are only considering candidates willing and desperate enough to jump through those hoops.

I think the company is solid and I am certain I would have done a great job there, but that process just didn't align well with me. I would be very frustrated if requirements of the job also made me have to waste time rather than contribute effectively and efficiently. Others may have a different opinion of the process; but that's my take. I was pretty sure I was eliminating myself from consideration, but as diplomatically as possible I let them know that I would only want to complete the assignment with the utmost of professionalism and that there would be too much time commitment required to do so at that stage of the application process.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Headspring? Why do you want to work at Headspring? What core values at Headspring do you most value?   1 Answer