Hebrew Union College Admissions Coordinator/Associate to the National Director of Recruitment and Admissions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Hebrew Union College

1 Interview Review

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hebrew Union College (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

The position was listed on LinkedIn and having both a Graduate degree and Higher Ed experience I applied and was contacted within the week. An interview was scheduled for the following week. I spent several hours preparing and had 7+ letters of recommendation.

The interviewed was informal despite being with the HR DIrector and Director of Recruitment & Admissions. Both individuals were delightful, friendly and made me feel totally at ease.

The interview lasted 2.5 hours and was very pleasant. However, around the second hour I was indirectly asked if I was a member of the Jewish faith. After several attempts to avoid answering the question, I had no choice but to confirm that I am not, in fact, Jewish. The positive energy and the interest I felt they had in me vanished.

I was then told that a few other people were being interviewed the same week, and the final candidates would be asked to return the following week for a second interview with a panel made up of HUC students and other staff.

I was not asked to return for a second interview, nor did I receive any correspondence informing me that I was not selected. Midway through the second week I had telephoned the HR assistant, and instead of telling me that I was not chosen, she was very rude and said "I'll let you know!" then hung up on me.

Having not received any correspondence for a couple of weeks but still feeling hopeful, I sent an email to the HR Director directly. He responded within hours informing me that I had not been selected to return.

I later learned that the position was given to a woman who is a member of the Jewish faith.

Interview Questions

• I was indirectly asked if I was a member of the Jewish faith (repeatedly). After several attempts to avoid answering the question, I had no choice but to confirm that I am not Jewish. But rather, grew up in the Catholic church. The positive energy and the interest I felt they had in me vanished.
    HUC is a Jewish Seminary and the posting stated that someone familiar with the Jewish faith is preferred.   1 Answer