Helen of Troy Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Helen of Troy Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Helen of Troy

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Paso, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Helen of Troy (El Paso, TX).

Interview

First interview was with HR. It lasted about an hour, the usual HR questions...tell me about a time you did this, handled that....then about 2 weeks of nothing. Then another HR interview, where the HR person obviously had no idea that I had interviewed already with another HR person. Same questions, then surprised when I said I had been interviewed by HR already. Face to face with CFO, President, and hiring manager. Went great, more test for fit. Then 2 weeks, and low-ball offer. Countered, weeks passed, then new offer.

Interview Questions

• Everything was standard, there was nothing difficult at all about the questions   Answer Question

Low ball offer, very slow to make a decision even though I was told it was key to fill the position quickly.

Other Interview Reviews for Helen of Troy

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Helen of Troy (New York, NY) in May 2008.

Interview

Basic interview. First over the phone a couple of times - w/ HR, then Hiring Manager....
    Next was a person to person interview with the Hiring Manager & Professional Peer.
    Asked about previous experiences, problem solving, etc... nothing out of the ordinary or challenging.

Interview Questions

Offer was nice, but paid too little for me to move and live in NYC.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Helen of Troy.

Interview

After 2 phone interviews (1 with HR and 1 with the engineering manager) they asked me to come to New York on my own dime (always a red flag). When I arrived, I thought the offices were really nice and clean, but it had a standoffish vibe. Although they advertised for an entry level position, they wanted someone with 2-4 years of experience (I had 2 years at the time). My interviewer only set aside 15 minutes for our interview. Somehow in that 15 minutes I was told the pay was in the low 50s (this is a couple standard deviations below the mean for a degreed engineer with experience in New York).

They gave me a pretty detailed assignment by email and a couple of weeks to complete it. I heard nothing from them for about 3 weeks after I submitted, and the manager finally wrote back to my emails to let me know they were no longer hiring for the position.

A few lessons I've learned from this interview experience:
    1. Be cautious about interviewing with companies that don't pay travel expenses.
    2. Be cautious about interviewing with companies that only set aside 15 minutes for an in-person interview.
    3. Do not participate in assignments that require a suspicious level of completeness. Every 4-6 months, I see the position that I applied for advertised on various job boards, which indicates that they either have a problem with turnover or a solution for getting free work done by applicants.