Hello Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hello Labs Interview Questions

3.5

Interviews for Top Jobs at Hello Labs

Junior Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hello Labs in January 2016.

Interview

First I had a phone interview and then a coding challenge. The interview was basically to let me know a little about the company, culture and products and to see if there was a cultural fit. They asked good questions that showed that they cared that my background and interests would be a good fit.
    The coding challenge was straight forward, though dealing with tons of data. I got stuck in one part of it and reached out for help. Their response to my asking was part of how I knew I wanted to work there. My question was met with respect and I was given tips to point me in the right direction without judgment. It was also apparent that asking questions is part of the culture.
    The next phase of the process was pair programming with a Sr. dev using ScreenHero. The work we did together was a little over my head by design. The goal was to see how we would work together in the real world in a mentor/mentee relationship. The Sr. dev explained things clearly and I felt very comfortable working with him. He let me 'drive' which allowed me to really grasp the concepts.
    The last part of the process was a team interview over video chat. It was a chance for the team and me to meet and ask each other questions.
    The thing I most appreciated about the whole process was the open, clear communication.

Interview Questions

• Write code to extract specific information from a data set.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hello Labs.

Interview

Great process, a few code challenges, and a couple interviews via Skype and phone. The first code challenge was thru an open source 3rd party tool. The second code challenge was a take home / timed test.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hello Labs in July 2015.

Interview

The first step was a call with the CEO. He asked about my background and told me about the company and the product. After the call I was given a small take home project (2-4 hours). The next step was pair programming with a developer in the team over screenhero, where we worked on an improvement to the existing code base. The final step was a video interview with 4-5 members of team. The entire interview process was remote, and they were very quick to give updates.

Interview Questions

• What's your experience with large code base and legacy code?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Williston, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hello Labs (Williston, VT) in May 2015.

Interview

The whole process took about 2 weeks and included a video conference with a programmer to discuss my troubleshooting process and skills, a short programming test done independently and a group discussion of my skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• What new technologies was I most interested in learning and using?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hello Labs (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) in December 2014.

Interview

A four part interview process. An initial screening by phone, a short code test, a video conference interview with a small team of people, and then a final video conference interview where we discussed possible solutions to a real problem to see how we worked together.

The overall impression given during this process was of a casual and open company culture, while also being very serious about the work they are doing.

Interview Questions

• Would you be comfortable switching to development on a Mac?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about projects with a large existing code base?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hello Labs (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted via email. Scheduled an initial phone call, then a technical test, then a few additional phone calls (both one-on-one and with a group).

It was a really transparent process, I got prompt answers to my questions and was provided with information that I asked for. I was interviewing for a remote developer position and the entire interview process was conducted and completed remotely, which was a good sign.

There was a technical test, which was helpful to judge fit, but also felt small in scope. Would have liked to pair with a developer on a real (or mock) task to get a better feel for the code and the people.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer was very straightforward, they simply matched my requested salary. Didn't seem to be much room for negotiating the package after that, but since they matched that initial number, that's not a negative.