Help Scout Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Help Scout

1 Interview Review

2.0

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Help Scout.

Interview

Call with hiring manager, followed by calls with VP, COO and presentation portion. I made it to the hiring manager call, then pulled out.

It was a big plus to speak to the hiring manager so quickly instead of jumping through hoops first. It was quite was refreshing and I applaud HelpScout for eliminating that barrier, at least for their sales hiring process.

That being said, a 30 minute interview is not enough time to do anything more than mechanically sort through a pile of applicants with templated questions. I do wish we had more time to have an actual discussion about business challenges in more depth. It came across as less of a conversation to mutual benefit, and more of a "read your resumé to me and I'll sort you into a bucket" call. Frankly, I expected more from a company with a really good (though limited in sample size) Glassdoor score.

WHAT MADE ME PULL OUT-- was that the hiring manager seemed wholly unqualified. I actually made (much) more money in my last salaried role as compared to their last salaried position prior to HelpScout. This normally wouldn't be an issue or even worth mentioning, but is a massive red flag for leadership in a sales organization. It also struck me as potentially nepotic given nearly every subordinate member of the team came from that exact same past company. Certainly do your own research, but be cognizant of what seems like a peculiar political dynamic.

Interview Questions

Help Scout Response

Jun 28, 2018 – People Ops

Hey there! Thanks for this feedback. I’m glad that you feel that there is a lot of value to speaking with the hiring manager first thing. We’re experimenting with different processes, but I agree that it can help set the stage for folks and get them connected to their potential future manager much quicker!

The format of our interviews is something we’re constantly evolving. Formulaic interviews can feel a bit stiff (we’ll be working on that!), but they are also a great guideline for interviewers at any stage because of the improved ability to evaluate candidates more fairly by covering the same topics. By sticking to our questions, we’re sure to get to all the things that are important to us and relevant to the role.

I’d like to give you a bit more context about our sales org because it’s pretty interesting. For years, our CEO, Nick, was reluctant to build a sales team at Help Scout. Then when Nick met our (now) Head of Sales, he was surprised by the difference in his sales “philosophy”, mainly, that it didn’t really feel like sales at all! And that’s really the point—we wanted to hold on to what has always been important to us: building a product that helps others build relationships, in doing so, building great relationships with our own customers. The experience our Head of Sales brings, along with his alignment with our values, is what makes him such a valuable teammate and leader today.

Finally, folks on many teams are often a result of people’s networks, so yes, we do have a cluster here and there of people with similar backgrounds. I don’t think we’re an outlier here but it does seem more obvious in a small team. That said, I don’t mean to diminish your point. We need to constantly hold ourselves to a high standard there and broaden our scope when it comes to recruiting so I’m grateful for this feedback.