Help Scout Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Help Scout

1 Interview Review

5.0

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Help Scout in January 2016.

Interview

The initial interview came quickly and was with one of the cofounders which was great. Had a good chat (barring technical issues) and he laid out the future steps clearly and explained what the position was about more since 'designer' could mean a lot of different things. Next there was more of a benefits interview with someone else at the company and went well also, the usual stuff about salary and benefits but also some interview type questions around past experience working remotely. She also laid out what would happen next. About two weeks later the big part came in of the design exercise (this is paid by the way). I won't go into what the exact challenge was but it was fairly large involving UX, UI design, visual design and actual coding. These can always be hit or miss but my feeling is if you get off on the wrong foot early, it's hard to recover since you have a fixed time so by the time I had my design which I realized had issues, I really needed to get implementation done. Normally I do more of an iterative process so I think in real life my issues would have been caught early as well as I would have presented multiple possible solutions. I did lose my job a few days before this and in the next few days was due for a trip as well so I might not have been in the right space but overall with the time and the amount of work I was overall happy with what I did. The nice thing about the project (besides the fixed time and being compensated) was the original cofounder who interviewed me gave a very detailed review of what I submitted with valid points which not every place will do.

Overall the interview process was very professional and clear, I only gave the difficult rating because of the exercise.

Interview Questions

Help Scout Response

Mar 2, 2017 – People Ops

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate the kind words and honest feedback, as we're always striving to ensure a positive candidate experience. We're sorry it didn't work out this time and wish you the best of luck!