Help Scout PHP Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Help Scout PHP Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Help Scout

1.5

PHP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Help Scout in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was online using appear.in. I only did the first "Personality Interview" but do NOT be fooled, they may test your technical skills during this interview.

I however do not play this game anymore. The interviewer specifically told me that the interview would just be to gauge if my PERSONALITY was a good fit for the team. At no point did he say "well I really like your personality do you mind if we just go right into the technical interview". I'm a FIRM believer that the interview is a HUGE gauge of how a company will treat you and this is just a form of bait and switch that I do NOT appreciate. So I didn't play ball and I "inconveniently" forgot all of my technical knowledge.

The interviewer was nice and pleasant. However, when it came time for me to ask questions about the company the interviewer prefaced EVERY response with "We have an [insert synonym for excellent here] blog post about that". Long story short, I got the impression that since I didn't read their blog, for a MONTH, before the interview that he didn't feel I was prepared enough. And honestly if you read their blog, you wouldn't have any questions about their company, which doesn't look good either. Damned if you do and damned if you don't kind of situation.

Anyway, as expected, I did not get the second interview nor an offer. I got a b.s. reply about how my "technical skills" were not a good fit for the position they were hiring for, even though I did not get past the "personality interview".

DISCLAIMER: Companies can conduct their interviews any way that they see fit. However, a company should do what is says and mean what it does. To say one thing and do another is a very bad, and telling, expression of the company.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest debugging challenge?   1 Answer
  • What factors would you consider for caching, what caching method would you use, and why?   1 Answer
  • If you had a superpower what would it be?   1 Answer

Help Scout Response

Jan 26, 2017 – VP Engineering

Thank you for your thoughtful review. We take all feedback seriously and will review how we set expectations with candidates for our first round of interviews. I certainly apologize for any improperly set expectations, as I can understand how that could be jarring. However I enjoyed our interview and would like to address some of your comments. I use the initial chat as an opportunity to learn about your background, experiences and motivations in software engineering to see if you'd be a good fit for the team and the role. When we said it wasn't a technical interview, we didn't mean to imply there would be no technical content whatsoever, we only meant that we have a separate technical interview given by an engineer where we really get into technical details and programming techniques and challenges.

As we were talking about your experience as a software engineer, you brought up the challenge of handling lots of traffic on a PHP web site. It felt natural for me to ask about what you used for caching to understand how you handled that challenge. My intent was to learn a little more about your mindset when solving problems and not turn the conversation to a deep technical discussion. I guess I didn't handle that transition very well. I figured that we all just forget things sometimes, so that's why I suggested you email me later after you'd had time to think. Same thing about your biggest debugging challenge. I only wanted to hear how you overcame a challenge, not get into the nitty-gritty.

Lastly, when you asked some questions about our company culture, I suggested the blog article because I was trying to be helpful as the blog goes into a lot of detail you might find helpful - I had no expectations that you would have read our entire blog. I enjoyed my chat with you so when we didn't hear back from you after the interview about the caching and debugging challenges, it was disappointing.

Again, thank you again for your feedback - we truly appreciate it. I'm sorry we got off to a wrong start and wish you the best in your search.

Other Interview Reviews for Help Scout

PHP Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Help Scout in February 2018.

Interview

After reading the negative interviews I was a bit worried about my upcoming interview but it was professional and was straightforward. The entire feedback loop was surprisingly fast with a one-day turnaround. It was actually pretty nice to hear more about the company and I had a chance to ask a lot of questions. Unfortunately, I didn't make didn't get to move on to the technical round even though I thought I would do well in it.

Interview Questions

• Described a time where you failed and what did you learn from it.   Answer Question