Help Scout QA Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Help Scout

1 Interview Review

QA Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Help Scout (Boston, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

I found the interview process to be very thorough and professional. In total I had 5 interviews (via appear.in) and a small project to complete. The first three interviews were relaxed, friendly, informal 'chats' that felt loosely designed to glean whether my skill set and experience was at their desired level for the role, and also to discern whether my personality was a good fit for the company. I really appreciated this - it was quite obvious that the company ethos would be an extension of the interviews, and employment would stretch beyond a simple employer-employee relationship. It felt like you'd be joining a (happy?) family.

Apparently I was a good fit. After the first three interviews it was time for the project test, which they said would be submitted anonymously to avoid adjudicator bias. This was very encouraging for me. I'm a firm believer in the importance of hiring people based on the quality of their skill set, and that employment candidates aren't unfairly dismissed because of a bias against their gender, race or sexuality. Again, it just made me think that I was applying for a company that really cared. The project was fun, though a little vague in it's requirements. At first, I found this a little disgruntling, but with a little thought, realised that this was likely to be intentional and perhaps a realistic scenario for how remote working might actually be at times. I had a question about the project, so I asked it, got an answer, and then knuckled down for 12 hours. I really enjoyed it - working on a product that was so obviously going to benefit a lot of businesses was great.

After submitting the project, I then had to wait for a response. I was one of the first to submit - and therefore the one who had to wait the longest. I recall waiting for around 3 weeks before finally receiving confirmation that I'd progressed to the next stage - it felt like a lifetime. I then had another two appear.in chats, one with who would potentially become my manager, and then one with one of the founders. Again, as with all the other 'chats', they were really relaxed, and despite now speaking with more senior employees, the interviews became no more intense - if anything, they were less so. I ended up chatting to the founder for over an hour about a ton of different things, which was something I'd never experienced before in my career, and it simply left me feeling that this would be an awesome place to work. Now, I can categorically state that it is a good as I thought it might be (and actually better). I was offered a position at the company and I'm incredibly pleased that I made the decision to accept it.

Interview Questions