Hensel Phelps Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hensel Phelps Interview Questions

Interviews at Hensel Phelps

2.7

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps.

Interview

I sat in front of a superintendent and an estimator. There interview was very straight forward and comfortable. They really just reviewed my resume with me. The big key with these guys is to display that you are willing to pick up and move wherever they need you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation, everyone starts out with the same offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (San Jose, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

Make sure you show the you have a passion for building, construction and do not mind getting dirty. Dinner and Bocci Ball with all the Candidates then they get you a hotel room. Next day you interview with about 7 different people all separately.

Interview Questions

• What is the funnest thing you have ever done?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Denver, CO) in November 2012.

Interview

A representative came to my university during the college fair and chose a limited number of students for an on-campus interview. About 4 weeks after the on-campus interview, I received an email inviting me to a second round interview at the corporate headquarters. The interview was "speed dating" style.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Dallas, TX) in October 2012.

Interview

1st round- Interview with a local project engineer and a field engineer. General interview questions; why construction, why Hensel Phelps?

2nd round-Group interview at district headquarters. Interviewed by 6 different employees for about 15-20 minutes each. Questions differed depending on who was giving the interview.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Phone call by local project engineer then a formal email with contract.

Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps.

Interview

Effective interview process. Highly detailed and open about salary/benefits etc. There was about 15 of us in a round robin style interview. Interviewed with all kinds of managers and the Vice President. Took us out to eat afterwards and met even more employees. They really sold Hensel Phelps to me!

Interview Questions

• What was one thing you failed at in your last position (for me an internship)?   1 Answer

Field Engineer Interview

Interview

The interviewer was not a HR person but a Operation Manager, which made it easier for me. Since he ask specific career related questions and less behavioral questions. My interview was at a job fair. I did not fill out an application. I just gave them my resume and they scheduled me for an interview the next day. The interview went well and I got a job offer the next monday. From what I heard they like to hire new college graduate and they have an internship program that develops their potential entry level employees.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not much of a negotiation, I tried to negotiate the salary but i was told is just a base salary that I will receive additional compensation based on cost of living if needed.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Orlando, FL).

Interview

Interview consisted of meeting with vice president of region, two general superintendents and two operations managers. Met with each for about 10-15 minutes. General discussion topics. Why construction? Past experiences? Leadership skills? Willingness to travel / work long hours? etc. Everyone was friendly and it lasted about 3 hours total.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you displayed leadership whether during school or your current job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (San Diego, CA) in January 2009.

Interview

General conversaiton to start. Questions about why you want to be in construction and what you know about the company. They are looking for people who take the time to research the company first. If you don't know any facts about jobs built in your area or the history and culture of the company, the thought is that you aren't really that interested in having a career with the company. They are looking for people who want a career, not just a job and paycheck.

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your leadership style?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate. They generally won't. They offer too much compensation down the road.

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Miami, FL) in June 2010.

Interview

The interview was held at school by one rep. It was very straight forward and nothing to it. I ended up getting the internship and only enjoyed working in the office.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I first applied online in January and received a rejection 2 weeks later. In March, Hensel Phelps was coming to my school to have an information session. I was contacted approx. 4 weeks later for a first round interview at their San Diego office. The interview consisted of 3 separate 15 minute interviews with Project Manager, Superintendent, and finally Operations Manager. Very straightforward. Hiring process was quick from then on. I was invited 2 days after the first interview for a second interview at the district headquarters in Irvine, CA. There was about 16 interviewees from different backgrounds. We were all given a schedule of what room to be in at what time and who our interviewers were. This stage consisted of another 3 separate interviews as well. It followed a "speed-dating" format. Received an offer a week later.

Straightforward questions. Interview was very conversational and was more or less driven by how you frame your qualifications and what you want to highlight that would make you a more desirable candidate. They really wanted to make sure I was a good fit based on my personality, work ethic, and motivation.

Advice: BE YOURSELF and have a genuine conversation.

Interview Questions

• You are the chief of police for a large metropolitan area. Your men has apprehended a man who has claimed he planted a bomb in a highly populated area in the city. You have one hour, what do you do?

If you were to interrogate the terrorist, where would you draw the line?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable. Excellent compensation package as is.