Hensel Phelps Interview Questions in Irvine, CA | Glassdoor

Hensel Phelps Interview Questions in Irvine, CA

3.2

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Irvine, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

It was a two stage interview. Stage 1 was round robin type interview in the local office where I met with 5 people. If you make it past the first stage, you move onto a two-day interview the following week. The second stage consists of site visits as well as activities meant to get to know the other applicants as well as the current employees you might be working with. The second day is strictly interviews where again they use a round robin style. Here you meet with 4 or 5 of the higher ups in 15 minute interviews for about 4 hours total with breaks in between. After a week or two you know whether you will receive an offer or not.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Irvine, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I first applied online in January and received a rejection 2 weeks later. In March, Hensel Phelps was coming to my school to have an information session. I was contacted approx. 4 weeks later for a first round interview at their San Diego office. The interview consisted of 3 separate 15 minute interviews with Project Manager, Superintendent, and finally Operations Manager. Very straightforward. Hiring process was quick from then on. I was invited 2 days after the first interview for a second interview at the district headquarters in Irvine, CA. There was about 16 interviewees from different backgrounds. We were all given a schedule of what room to be in at what time and who our interviewers were. This stage consisted of another 3 separate interviews as well. It followed a "speed-dating" format. Received an offer a week later.

Straightforward questions. Interview was very conversational and was more or less driven by how you frame your qualifications and what you want to highlight that would make you a more desirable candidate. They really wanted to make sure I was a good fit based on my personality, work ethic, and motivation.

Advice: BE YOURSELF and have a genuine conversation.

Interview Questions

• You are the chief of police for a large metropolitan area. Your men has apprehended a man who has claimed he planted a bomb in a highly populated area in the city. You have one hour, what do you do?

If you were to interrogate the terrorist, where would you draw the line?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Non-negotiable. Excellent compensation package as is.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Irvine, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process truly starts upon shaking the recruiter's hand (usually on-campus) and continues for a solid two weeks thereafter. The first engagement determines whether or not you'll be attending the actual interview at the district that's hiring. Upon making the cut (from the pool of first-impression-candidates), you'll move on to the "Round Robin" interview which consists of 5 to 10 current employees. The interviewers do not take on HR roles but range from Project Engineers to Managers and Superintendents.

Interview Questions

• Overall, there truly was not a difficult question. The questions were quite exciting and straightforward.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I do not suggest negotiating - The company does a very good job in putting forth a competitive yet fair offer. Do ask about the company benefits and learn about what employees of the company accumulate over time in the form of additional benefits and retirement plan. It'll make more sense as to why an entry level candidate shouldn't negotiate the offer.

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Irvine, CA) in November 2012.

Interview

Round Robin, it was three day event consisting of many activities and getting to meet some of the upper which is rare. Did a couple of fun activities, everything was paid for, and on the last day that's with the final interviews where conducted.

Field/Office Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hensel Phelps (Irvine, CA) in April 2008.

Interview

You will have an initial interview over the phone or maybe at a college recruiting fair. If you are selected, you will be flown to the District Office headquarters for 2nd-round interviews. You will be interviewed by a half a dozen people anywhere from field engineers to project managers to operations managers.

Interview Questions

• Are you wiling to relocate often?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I did not negotiate. I feel that an attempt to negotiate would show ungratefulness for the generous offer, especially considering that about 1/2 of college grads at the time were unemployed and couldn't find work.