Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.7

Front Line Manager (EO Grade, Band O) Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs.

Interview

10 minute document check before a panel interview conducted by one member of staff with another making notes. One motivational question (tell us about yourself) before a range of STAR interview questions, in-keeping with what prior documentation told candidates to prepare for. Questions addressed competencies I'd been told HMRC would be looking for, given the role, and in total the interview was complete in under 30 minutes.

Genuinely lovely staff, from security to general admin. Put me at ease (insofar as I could be) and gave me the opportunity to express my experiences and talents rather than putting me under the microscope.

*** Yet to receive offer, review to be amended ***

Interview Questions

• You're conducting one task when you're told to address another - what would you do?   1 Answer

Contact Centre Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Livingston, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Livingston, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

The interview process consisted of completing a paper application followed by a telephone interview, a written exercise, maths test, role play and final interview carried out at an assessment centre alongside many others competing for the role. The application process has changed often over the years and is more digital these days.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a situation like...
      Or, Can you describe a time where you have faced a scenario such as....
      1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to choose a shift pattern offering work life balance

Front Line Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salford, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Salford, North West England, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Initially made an application on the civil service careers page, completed verbal and numerical reasoning tests as well as answered 3 competencies around 'Making Effective Decisions' 'Delivering at Pace' and 'Leading and Communicating'. Invited to interview, was fully prepped brought in CV and copy of application because apparently they don't have access to application, test scores, employment history etc. Didn't talk to me about my history, current role, experience, why I wanted to move to hmrc which I thought was unusual but suppose they had probably loads more to interview, just asked me 3 questions around competencies asked if I had any questions and that was literally it, lasted around 20-25 mins. There was a panel of 3 only 2 of them spoke one who probed answers and was writing everything down whereas other who just simply asked questions the other was just observing. They were friendly and put you at ease as soon as you sit down offered some water too. Interview was in April and was told will have someone get back tonne in May so fingers are crossed.

Interview Questions

• There is a new change coming within the teams and this could have a negative impact on some of the colleagues how would you handle this?   Answer Question
    • One of your team members hasn't been performing consistently throughout past few weeks and has been underachieving targets how would you handle the situation?   Answer Question
    • Your team have a current project on a tight deadline and have been given another project to complete as soon as possible what do you do?   Answer Question

Executive Officer - Front Line Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

It was a competency based interview, with two interviewers. To get to this stage I had to complete an application and two rounds of tests. The interviewers were friendly and approachable.

One aspect that was different from other interviews I've had was that the questions were hypothetical.

The application progress has taken a long time, despite applying in February I won't find out until early May.

Interview Questions

• How would you communicate an unpopular change?   Answer Question
    • How would you prioritise deadlines if you were given another important task on top of your existing duties?   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with an underperforming employee?   Answer Question

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Birmingham, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

Competency based and presentation. Given presentation details on the day and had half an hour to put together a 15 minute presentation which was difficult. They then asked question your presentation and then interviewed on 4 competencies.

Interview Questions

• What was your strategy and what tools did you use.   1 Answer

Scala Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter they sent out a worksheet with a shopping cart problem on it that they wanted solved.I hacked up a solution and sent them my github link to the solution. A day latter I had a 2 hour long interview with one of the tech leads..I had the job offer later that day.

Interview Questions

• What is a monad and how would I use one   1 Answer

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Cardiff, Wales (UK)).

Interview

Applied through Civil service jobs and received an invitation to first interview two months later.
    Before the interview, I was asked to fill in a "confirmation of character" form that was attached to the email.The form was to confirm that I haven't been declared bankrupt or convicted/charged with any crimes.The email also told me what to bring to the interview:basic ID docs like birth cert,a photo id and a utility/bank letter from within the last 3 month as proof of my address.

Although I was asked for competences while applying I wasn't asked a single question about them but scenario questions that were connected to the competency.They basically have a checklist that they tick off if you haven't given full enough answers they will ask follow-up questions to try and get more info

I was told that it could take a month for the interviews to be analysed and any job offers to come so although I have not been offered a job at time of writing could still get offer in future

Interview Questions

• They asked about what work I was doing now-unemployed btw and then asked what my previous job was and who it was with.

You are working on the phones and a customer asks for information you do not know.What do you do?

You are working on high priority emails when you line manager asks you to move onto the phones due to the high volume of calls coming in.What do you do?
      Answer Question

Software Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Telford, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Telford, England (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

I had a telephone call which was quite technical, the interviewer touched on my experiences and started asking technical questions around rest services, tdd. The process was great up to this point, i thought the telephone interview focused on what the role needed according to the job spec. I had a coding exercise to do online which was easy enough, implement a small shopping cart.
    The face to face interview was bit horrible, they ask you to extend the shopping cart by adding more offers to it, they only gave me 15-20 mins. As far as i can remember i did this perfectly well, then i was asked one random question and was told that concludes the interview and if i had anything to ask. I never heard back from them.

Administrative Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Newcastle upon Tyne, England (UK)).

Interview

Situation based interview with 2 interviewers. One sets the scene the other asks the question. The questions are based around designated competencies that you are made aware of in advance

Interview Questions

• you are doing something and the boss asks you to do something else what do you do...... Not quite the competency based questions expected but ho hum....practice helps.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There is no negotiation

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (Preston, North West England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, once the application was completed I was given a simple test to complete. This in addition to my competencies put me through to the Interview stage. The test is a simple multiple choice test which asks you to rate the most appropriate and inappropriate actions to take with a few simple maths questions. You can use a calculator, so if you want to go for it.

Interview Questions

• Q: Explain how you meet said competency? All the initial questions happened to be this. They ask some follow-up questions related to the competency and your answer to find out if all the good behaviours they are after are met.   1 Answer