Hertz Management Trainee Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hertz Management Trainee Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2017

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hertz (Chicago, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview process only consisted of interview. The interviewer was very polite and tried to be relate-able to the interviewee. The response time to whether or not a person was chosen for the position was fairly speedy.

Anonymous Employee in West Babylon, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hertz (West Babylon, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

I applied online and I received a phone call about 2 weeks later from a recruiter and I set up an interview with the Area Manager for the next day. The Area Manager was very young, not older than 30, and was a bit unprofessional. He was texting during the interview, and the interview consisted of a list of questions from a pamphlet that I had no problem answering. Overall, a very easy interview to ace. I got a phone call the next day from the initial recruiter saying that they wanted to offer me the job, and I gladly accepted.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you handled an angry customer   1 Answer
    • Give me a time when you were in charge of a project and you handled it   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation as far as I know, hourly at first, then salary when you finish being a trainee

Anonymous Employee in Duarte, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Hertz (Duarte, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

The regional recruiter was very friendly over the phone and told me what I needed to do to continue my process. He then scheduled an interview with the district manager at my local Hertz. When I showed up for my interview, I had to wait about 20 minutes because the manager was not there. Once he got there, he was very friendly and the interview took about 30 minutes. I noticed that all the workers I saw (about 5-6) were all men.

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hertz (Orlando, FL) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone screening with Recruiter which was pretty basic. Then did face to face with Hiring Manager which is the longest of all of them and the most in-depth. Finished with final face to face with Area Manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hertz (Orlando, FL) in May 2011.

Interview

I sent an email to the recruiting manager that I met at a local career fair to schedule an interview. He responded with a one-liner, asking if I could come in on the following week at 10:00am. The message was short and seemed a little unprofessional. I wrote back and said I would be there but received no confirmation email. I showed up on time and the recruiting manager seemed to not be expecting me.

He called me into a conference room, sat me down, and asked if I had any questions about the job. I asked 7 questions or so about the tasks, responsibilities, promotions, and the training program. The pay was extremely low, which he was up front about but he could never look me in the face. He had a hard time describing the role and often used the training manual as a resource for basic questions about the job.

I asked to talk with a current trainee and found out that there were discrepancies between what the recruiting manager said about the job and what the trainee said. Specifically, the mentorship relationship and the number hours worked a week. I was told there is a formal mentor relationship with a branch manager where the trainee goes through a manual with the manager. The trainee seemed to not even know what the manual was about, and said that it was just a reference; they never met routinely or seemed to have anytime of established mentorship. Additionally, I was told I would work 45 hour a weeks max, but the trainee told me that he works 60 hours plus.

After my conversation with the trainee, the recruiting manager came back in and asked if I had anymore questions and what I thought about the job. Then he offered the job to me. Note he did not ask me a single question about my resume or about my career ambitions or my work experience. I was astonished and didn't know what to say. Its obvious they don't really value the people they hire. It made sense after reading some of the other reviews, seems like a high turnover position where trainees bust their butts and don't get promotions unless they know the right people.

I told him I would be in contact with him and emailed him to thank him for the interview. I received to reply.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hertz (Seattle, WA) in April 2011.

Interview

I met a branch manager at a career fair at my university. We had a casual conversation; I later learned that this was considered my first interview. I was later contacted by a recruiter on the phone who set up an interview for me with the regional HR manager. I was interviewed by the HR manager at the regional office in Sea-Tac, WA. The office had a functioning retail branch on the bottom floor and offices upstairs. All that I could think was, "What am I doing here? What am I getting myself into? I need a job though, don't want to move back home after graduation..." The interview went well and I recieved another call from the same recruiter about a week later. He offered me the position of Management Trainee, pending a drug test and background check. I passed both tests and the recruiter emails me to let me know I've been hired, then about a week later I got an email from him saying that "the company can no longer go forward with my candidacy for employment". So I'm freaking out because this is right before finals and I find out that I'm as unemployed as I was a month and a half ago, then I get another email from the same recruiter saying that the email was sent in error, he used the internet slang "lol" a number of times in this email. Needless to say, I was not "laughing out loud". I started my job as planned a month later.

Management Trainee Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hertz in April 2011.

Interview

Applied online, didnt received any feedback. Walked into office and introduce myself to management and provided resume. Call management until they finally gave me an interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond a simple duty.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Meriden, CT

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Hertz (Meriden, CT) in April 2011.

Interview

I had a phone interview and an 1:1 interview. The branch manager asked behavioral star questions. You need to be familiar with previous jobs and specific examples.

Interview Questions

• Name a specific time when you went above and beyond the job description?   Answer Question
    • How would you motivate your co-workers to remain on task?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Kingston, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hertz (Kingston, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call from the recruiter a few days later. This phone call consisted of her telling me the basics: starting salary, what the job entails, location of open position, general info on hertz, etc. She then scheduled an interview for me with the manager of the store I would be working at. I probably over prepared as the interview took about ten minutes and was simply her seeing if I fit in with the culture, which was very laid back and casual. It also consisted of her telling me over and over again that I would be cleaning cars and not be getting paid very well to start. She seemed to have trouble hiring recent grads (Which is what I am) because they would complain about the pay and begin looking for other work, so keep that in mind.

I was then scheduled for an interview with the area manager (her boss). This interview was much more formal and consisted of him asking me to give examples of customer service and sales. Make sure you can think of these types of examples as it will make the interview easier. After the interview he pretty much told me that he thought I would be an asset to the company and I would fit in well in that office.

The recruiter then contacted me and told me the final step was a phone interview with the territory manager. I had to wait a few days for this to actually happen but once I got the call from this manager the phone interview was very quick and I was asked a couple of situational questions. She basically said she likes to talk to all of the candidates before they are hired.

30 minutes after that phone interview I was contacted by the recruited saying I had the job and all I had to do was complete a drug test and bg check.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to help a disgruntled customer.   Answer Question
    • Do you think there are times when the rules should be bent?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, set hourly pay for trainees.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hertz (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2011.