Hewlett-Packard Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hewlett-Packard Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.9

439 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Interview

There were 2 phone screens with a mini case, and a half day with 4 in-person interviews each with a case that lasted about an hour each. Cases were based on projects that the team had been working on recently.

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in HP? What did I understand about the technology market?   Answer Question

Regional Deployment Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Collins, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Fort Collins, CO).

Interview

I had been working for the company on a contract basis and was referred to a FTE position by an employee. I reached out to the hiring manager and went through a face-to-face interview. Then over the next three weeks, I met with four additional individual interviews (face-to-face and phone) with other influencers selected by the hiring manager. Received offer within three weeks of first interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you solved a complex problem at a previous job.   Answer Question

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Palo Alto, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

They scheduled 5 30-min phone interviews comprised of my potential new Director, 2 of his Director peers, 2 of my potential peers (1 Manager, 1 Individual Contributor) and 1 45-min F2F with the VP. Included a variety of interview styles - standard questions, behavioral questions and situational questions.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Roseville, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Initially, there was a phone interview which was fairly straight-forward. If you know the basics of project management, you will have no problems with the phone interview. Do you know the phases of a waterfall project? Do you know the difference between waterfall and agile? Do you have your PMP? Can you plan a party? If you know all of these, then you'll be fine.

The onsite panel interview is with 3 or 4 employees. You will be asked how you use a project scheduling software package to manage projects. They're looking for both personality, knowledge and overall ability.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The initial salary offer was low. If you have a rate in mind, let them know and see if they will match your rate or come close.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Austin, TX).

Interview

Easy process. I did a phone interview with a contracting company, a phone interview with my first manager, then an in person interview with the person who would be replacing the first manager. None of them knew much about or asked questions about Project Management. Interview was mostly about situations involving irate "customers".

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in November 2015.

Interview

After being contacted by the recruiter, a phone interview was setup with the hiring manager. At the scheduled time, the hiring manager called and the interview was conducted over the phone. The hiring manager was cordial, professional and friendly. The interview lasted about 30 minutes and I was told that he had other candidates to interview and that a decision would be made by the end of the year for a January 2016 start date.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience managing a similar department.   Answer Question

Federal Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Washington, DC) in October 2015.

Interview

The process started with an internal HP headhunter. The headhunter was very hard to reach or nail down for a time to interview. Times were scheduled and he was unable to keep the appointment. Once I finally got past this step I interviewed (phone) with the Manager looking to fill the position. I passed that interview and had another with a counterpart who was in a different position within HP. That also went well and I was told that both interviews went well and they wanted to move forward and would call me the following week to setup an in person interview. The call never came. I made calls to both managers and headhunter to inquire about next steps and received no replies. Two weeks letter I received an form email saying the position was no longer open. Not very professional in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• How I prospected for new business?   1 Answer

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Houston, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

Very informal. I worked directly with the hiring manager to setup interview times. I had an internal contact who put me in touch with the hiring manager. This helped to expedite the scheduling of the interview. The internal recruiters are very busy so the hiring managers often have to sort through resumes so if they get a qualified candidate handed to them they will typically move on it since it saves them time.

Interview Questions

• The questions were mostly behavioral in nature. "Tell me about a time..." "Share with me your experience in dealing with..." My experience with HP is that they are open to taking related experience versus requiring direct experience in a role. They are able to see how prior experience could relate to a new role and they are willing to take the risk if they see the right characteristics and prior results.   Answer Question

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boise, ID

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Boise, ID) in September 2015.

Interview

Remote telephone interview over the phone. Started informal conversation, asked about why I was interested in job, what specific skills I had that would apply. My questions were around what is expected in this position and what would I need to be successful.

Interview Questions

• Mostly behavioral, but included "How would you handle this particular situation" with respect to resource availability and location.   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Must submit application online; Phone calls were received for initial screening; Group interview style to go through a set of one-on-one interview sessions; some of these sessions were conducted via conference calls.