Hewlett-Packard Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Hewlett-Packard Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 13, 2016

2.8

Software Developer Interview

Interview

Came to college career fair to screen candidates. Invited top candidates for on site interviews for 1 day. The on-site interview lasted about 6 hours and I met with roughly 6 different hiring managers. Lunch and snacks were provided.

Interview Questions

• Explain what type of results would be returned by a sample SQL query.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Hewlett-Packard

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in August 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone screen and then 2 phone interviews on the same day. The first interview was with a PM, Senior developer and a business analyst. It covered behavioral questions and technical questions about databases and java. The 2nd interview was with the hiring manager and was purely behavioral but really informative and stimulating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Dallas, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

I met HP at an on campus career fair. They gave me an on campus interview for the next day. I interviewed with two developers, who I think were also project managers. They asked general behavior questions, and some questions about my background. They said the next step would be a more technical interview at their offices. I wasn't asked to go to their offices. I think the interview went well, but they may not have had openings that aligned with my background at the time and location I wanted. It may not have been the right time for me to go to HP, although I have heard a lot of great things about being at HP.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time something didn't go as planned (or some similar wording).   1 Answer
    • Some kind of general questions about programing background, behavioral background.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in September 2014.

Interview

Applied at career fair. Interview next day. Basic questions about databases. They were very friendly, but they were only hiring for a few positions from colleges. Never had any contact after initial interview.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

First contact us thriugh HR.
    If shortlisted the candidate gets a call from the hiring manager.
    This is followed by a shrt technical phone screen.
    If suitable the candidate is called for a in-house interview.

Interview Questions

• Implement a search algorithm that predicts the set of likely words bases on the characters entered into the search field.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard in February 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews. They cannot conduct face to face interviews for contract employees. Both interviews were with the hiring manager who I loved working for. Very average in terms of questions asked and it was pretty informal.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Plano, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

I got a call the same day I applied for an entry level Software Dev position on their website. They just happen to be doing interviews the next day. I went to a one hour interview with a hiring manager. I wasn't asked many technical questions and the ones he did ask were surprisingly easy. He asked mostly about my previous project experience and typical HR questions.

Interview Questions

• What is a positive thing your current employer would say about you?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Houston, TX).

Interview

I applied through LinkedIn on their website and was contacted for a phone interview a few weeks later. I didn't think it went very well but I was called a month or so later and told that I could come in the next day for an interview. The interview with the senior programmer went very well and I was told that they would be making a decision within the next two days. I was offered the job the next day and verbally accepted it.

Interview Questions

• I was surprised that I wasn't really asked any technical questions, I simply explained some of the projects I had completed in the past and I suppose that was sufficient to my interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate, I was very pleased with the initial offer.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard.

Interview

Submitted resume and interviewed with center manager and team manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, KY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hewlett-Packard (Lexington, KY).

Interview

First had a phone interview from someone with the technical team. They asked me a few things about my projects in school and had me write and email them a simple program.

They later called me for an on-site interview... which lasted EIGHT hours. This was my first interview ever so it was pretty brutal and I didn't get an offer afterwards but I did enjoy myself and learned a lot from them. It was a few months ago but I think I met with around 11 people by the end of the day. It was mostly technical stuff such as writing out code for different data structures on a white board and debugging. I usually talked with 1 person at a time except for when they took me out for lunch where I was asked questions by 3 senior software engineers, including the person that did the initial phone interview. The last guy you meet with is one of the managers and he asks some pretty unique questions, I guess you could call them brain teasers.

To summarize, I would really just say to be ready for anything. They have you for 8 hours to ask you just about any type of interview question, general or technical. Just go in, be confident in your skills, actually think about the things they ask you, and be able to back up anything you say. If you don't know an answer to a question, just be honest and say you don't know. And also, ASK QUESTIONS. Seriously, be inquisitive. At the end they just blatantly told me that I wasn't asking many questions which was a big turn off for them.

Interview Questions

• Hands me a sheet of paper: "Here's some code from our system which recently had a bug and was fixed by the lines added and removed here. (Printed with subversion) Please tell me what the bug was and how it was fixed. There's also one other bug in this code which I would like you to locate and suggest a fix for."   Answer Question